Recently, I noticed my phone will just shut off and not come back on when my battery level is somewhere between 5-10%. Is this a sign of a battery going bad? I've had this phone since it first came out and charge my phone nightly.

What battery should I replace it with? I love the long battery life of the OEM battery, is that an even better battery out there?

Thoughts?
    06-13-10 09:31 PM
    06-13-10 09:38 PM
    Lak, appreciate the link, but i'm well aware of that. I'm also aware of the trick to turn the radio back on by going to go do an update then canceling it.

My question is relating to the reason why my entire phone, not just radio, will shut off completely at 5-10%. Is this a sign of a battery going dead, if so, what are some recommended aftermarket batteries.
    06-13-10 09:52 PM
    I have the same issue after upgrading to .743 OS.
    06-13-10 10:10 PM
    This is by design, it helps prevent over drainage of the battery.
    Li-Ons are not designed to drained that low on a regular basis, and in fact it will hurt the battery to force it to drain that low and will start you on a path of a quickly dieing battery.
    06-13-10 11:55 PM
    I understand that, BUT, this was different than before. Perhaps it's an OS issue. Before, my phone would at least go into the red zone and turn off radio first, now it will just shut off when it's in the yellow zone.

Any new battery suggestions? I feel like my battery life is getting a wee bit shorter anyways, I could use a few extra mah.
    06-13-10 11:58 PM
    I understand that, BUT, this was different than before. Perhaps it's an OS issue. Before, my phone would at least go into the red zone and turn off radio first, now it will just shut off when it's in the yellow zone.

Any new battery suggestions? I feel like my battery life is getting a wee bit shorter anyways, I could use a few extra mah.
    You can check the crackberry store, there is an extended battery for the 9700 I have been eyeing for some time now, just havent been able to justify the money spent yet.
    Have you fully charged the battery since you upgraded?
    By fully, I mean until it stops charging. I would do that, and then pull the battery. The battery charge level in the os may have gotten a bit out of whack.

Also for battery life.
    What setting do you have the screen brightness? You can drop it down to 10 and not notice a difference and that will seriously extend your battery life.
    You can also set it to 2g only when you don't need 3g. That will prevent it from switching back and forth and save a ton of battery.
    06-14-10 12:03 AM
    Also, to save battery life, disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth if you are not using them. They drain the battery if they are running while you are not using them.
    06-14-10 12:07 AM
    Also, to save battery life, disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth if you are not using them. They drain the battery if they are running while you are not using them.
    True, but with my 9700, I swear that uma takes less juice than edge.
    06-14-10 12:09 AM

Well now it sounds like it is working correctly! You phone SHOULD shut down at 5-10%.

What is wrong with plugging you phone into a charger while you sleep? You do sleep don't you?
    06-14-10 06:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD