08-08-13 03:59 AM
37 12
tools
    Friend of mine has the G1 and showed me one of the coolest things ever. We were at a store and he pulls out his G1 and takes a pic of the UPC (barcode) and shows me a list of places that have it with prices and everything. Wow.

Is there ANYTHING similar to this for the blackberry? Maybe even something we could just type the UPC numbers in on? It seems rather cool.
    11-25-08 10:22 PM
    Nope sorry.
    11-25-08 10:30 PM
    I remember reading something about a BB bar code scanner within the past week. I'll poke around my search history and see if I can find it.
    11-25-08 10:31 PM
    I know that a few home depot employees have the scanner on a blackberry. He took a picture of a upc to see if surrounding stores carried it. I was looking for a similar app a few days ago

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-08 11:17 PM
    Sorry to get our hopes up....I found the bar code scanner article that I crossed, but it was for device by SocketScan that connects to the Bold via Bluetooth.
    11-25-08 11:18 PM
    Any more luck on this thread by anyone, that g1 feature would be AWESOME to have on my BB.
    12-29-08 12:22 PM
    Why can't the bold do this? All it needs is a camera right?
    12-29-08 12:56 PM
    It can do this...but I can't remember for the life of me what the App was called. but it DEFINITELY can do it. I think that app was for the Curve actually, cause the resolution was wrong but it did still work.

That's about as good as it gets though...and I still can't remember the app.
    12-29-08 12:57 PM
    NOOO!!! So close yet so far......
    If you receive a revelation and remember please do tell.

12-29-08 01:01 PM
    Brain wave No.1: NeoReader: Wap download
    Thats the one I used before. It does support BB's but only to the Curve so like I said, the resolution if all wrong.

Brain Wave/Lucky Find No.2: I have though, just found this one:
    BeeTagg - Mobile Tagging with QR-Code, BeeTagg and Datamatrix
    Just been testing it and it works a charm, the UI isnt perfect (It says push 4 to start the camera and you have to hit alt-S for example, although you can use the Menu to start the camera too) but yeh, hopefully this will do what you want!
    It supports the Bold, so it looks right on our beautiful screens. Also it deletes the pictures you have taken of the barcodes too (or at least, it doesnt save them to your memory card - Thumbs up!).
    Last edited by Booie2k1; 12-29-08 at 01:36 PM.
    12-29-08 01:32 PM
    Good finds, thanks! Don's suppose their is one out there that supports the "1D" just normal UPC codes, so you could scan an item at the store and then cross reference prices and such online?
    12-29-08 01:39 PM
    It's easy enough to scan a code but what do you do once you have a string of numbers and letters on your screen. The next step is a huuuuge database that converts the string into meaningful data.

It's a bit like having a telephone book with just the numbers. You need a database to tell you that you just scanned a can of beans or the modeol number of a public transport bus.

I had a Sony-Ericsson P1i and that had a business card to vcf-file application built around the camera. You ran the app and pointed the camera at someones biz card. Click and you had a vcf file that could be put into your addresbook or emailed. THAT was a really useful app and man, would I like that on my BlackBerry.
    12-29-08 01:47 PM
    What does the G1 do in order to accomplish what they claim can be done with their phone, I have never used it myself, but would like to know if it works, and how they got to do it. Does anyone happen to know if they charge for that app?
    12-29-08 01:54 PM
    My girlfriends just bought a G1 (I tried sooo hard to get her to buy a 8900...but I failed) when I get chance (Wednesday) i'll be having a quick play with this barcode scanner for you, see how good it really is.
    12-29-08 04:47 PM
    The last few nights here on one of the news channels they were showing a bar scanner that was on a phone, I do not know which phone it was but it had a full face screen on it. Maybe next time I see it I will pay attention to it more.
    12-29-08 05:03 PM
    I saw on TV that you can take a picture of the bar code with any phone, you upload the picture to a site, and it automatically decodes it and performs a comparison with a price database. It then tells you were to go in your area for the best price possible.
    12-29-08 05:28 PM
    What site, is it free?

12-29-08 05:48 PM
    Nope sorry.

A man of many words. No wonder you've got over 10K posts. Either that, or you need to get out more!
    12-29-08 05:49 PM
    What does the G1 do in order to accomplish what they claim can be done with their phone, I have never used it myself, but would like to know if it works, and how they got to do it. Does anyone happen to know if they charge for that app?
    They do not charge for the app as mostly everything on the G1 is F.R.E.E!! The app scans any ol' Barcode that you may have laying around and googles it. It is amazing fast and works like a charm. So yeah...whoever the developer for the app is...yeah...the BB user nation would LOVE to have that same app ported over.
    12-29-08 08:04 PM
    That is amazing. I would be broke if I had that on my curve!

12-29-08 08:32 PM
    I had the G1 for a while, until I decided I'm going to get a BlackBerry, the bar code scanner though is amazing, that's probably the best feature of the G1, besides that the phone isn't that great, and its for amateurs. Stick to BlackBerries people!
    12-30-08 12:54 PM
    I came across these, surprisingly found the links on Nokia's barcode creating site!

google these:

upcode

neoreader

I'm using neoreader just fine on my 8120
    12-30-08 04:00 PM
    Slifter - Local Stores, Local Deals

12-31-08 09:41 PM
    the app is called shopsavvy is one on the G1 and it works amazing this app is one reason i cant see myself giving up my G1 but i will be getting the 8900 lol
    12-31-08 09:48 PM
    Slifter is ok. Though it has a blackberry app, it doesn't seem to use the gps on the device...

12-31-08 09:54 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD