This is info. about barcode software for BB, the devices are limited on the site the bold is not on the list but their is another way be able to read barcodes. I am going to try it because that is the only thing about the G1 that I really liked more than the bold. Good luck I hope the site gets more devices soon. The website is [url]www.neoreader.com

So you have seen the Google T-1 commercial with the Barcode Scanner. I have to admit, that is pretty cool. Well, of course, BlackBerry has it too so I had to write about it.

So imagine taken a picture or entering a bar code on your phone and then seeing where else the price is comparable if not better. Enter neo reader.

How Neoreader™ works

The NeoReader is a universal barcode scanning application that transforms your mobile phone into a barcode scanner and allows you to access mobile web content by scanning codes from print ads, publication, packaging, billboards, retail display, broadcast media, or any other medium. Universal means that the NeoReader scans all the standard code types (Data Matrix, QR codes, Aztec Codes, EAN, UPC, and Code 128), so NeoReader is the only scanning software you’ll need.

Install the NeoReader barcode scanning software and you're one

easy click away from information you want - everywhere you go.
    It's so easy to use - launch the NeoReader, click on the barcode with your camera and ZIP...the content is delivered to your phone.

No typing URLs into your browser, no painful search engines, no cumbersome menu's to navigate.

Its only available now for the Curve and Pearl. Here is where you get the file from. Key the following URL get.neoreader.com into your handset's web browser, and follow on-screen instructions. Then you can download the correct NeoReader version to your mobile phone.

Last edited by jagtor58; 11-25-08 at 01:04 AM.
    11-25-08 12:42 AM
    *subscribed from WAP*

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-08 12:44 AM
    Pvt, hello, my name is John and I am not a big time computer person.
    What does "subscribed from WAP" tell me?
    11-25-08 01:06 AM
    bump

has anyone tried this? i'd do it myself but I don't have my bold yet.

does it work well?
    12-14-08 07:36 PM
    I downloaded it...

There's no version for the Bold (it identifies your phone and tells you there's no version available).

If you look around though, you can find a version for the Curve which installs fine. It displays at the wrong resolution and is a little fiddly to use but it does work and correctly identified some of the example barcodes on their website from my monitor.
    12-14-08 08:46 PM
    are they real barcods or those square things?
    12-14-08 09:54 PM
    it says on their website it works with UPC's too. those square things can kiss my ***.
    12-15-08 12:54 AM
    Anyone get this to work? my camera takes such crappy picks that every barcode is "unrecognized"
    12-15-08 01:18 PM
    Anyone get this to work? my camera takes such crappy picks that every barcode is "unrecognized"
    I just tried it, and it gave me the same message. I simply went into the camera options and lowered the resolution. I also did not hold the camera as close to the bar code as I was originally doing, and it worked perfectly.

It identifies what the bar code means, then it launched the browser directing you to the related website. Pretty cool application.
    12-15-08 02:47 PM
    I have to say that I am happy to have found this for the BlackBerry. When I was at a previous employer I found something like this for the HTC device I was given and it and it almost made the HTC usable.

It was most useful when I went to app websites where they provided the OTA link that lets face it, sometimes not the friendliest to type in on the device.... just snap the pic and it pulls up the link.

Now if they'll just update the resolution for the Bold

-m
    12-15-08 04:58 PM
    bar code reader?what are you gonna scan you rown supermarket shopping? seiously. what's the point?
    12-15-08 05:20 PM
    Booie, Where did you find a version you could download? I went to that get.neoreader.com and when I followed the on-screen instructions it wouldn't let me click any of the devices. . . ?
    12-15-08 05:48 PM
    I looked it up and it only showed the square ones. Not interested...

12-15-08 05:53 PM
    Haven't the Japanese been doing this for years?
    12-15-08 06:01 PM
    The usa is wayyy behind japan

12-15-08 06:06 PM
    Did not work for me... Just took pictures and wasted my time... No doubt, Japan is a bit ahead of us!
    12-15-08 06:20 PM
    The barcode price comparison w/ GPS implementation on T-Mobile's G-1 is very slick indeed, particularly as it's bundled at no additional charge! Personally, I didn't care for that handset for a number of other reasons.

If the Neoreaderô software is not (yet) available on the Bold, but is offered for some of the other BlackBerry's, it would seem that it will be forthcoming if the software publisher feels there's sufficient interest from Bold owners.
    12-15-08 06:56 PM
    Just installed tried out and removed this POS from my Bold. The curve version looks like crap on the Bold's screen and is slow to respond to input. The barcode recognition system require that pics be taken with the 'small' setting and even after that has been changed it is absolutely useless. I tested it on 3 products from my bag and it could not identify any of them.

Don't waste your time with this one yet. It was a good way to kill 15 min while waiting for the train, but that is it.

12-15-08 06:57 PM
    has anyone with an 8330 had any success with it. I tried it so far on mine and it cant recognize any of the barcodes
    12-15-08 07:19 PM
    no one with any berry has had success with it
    12-15-08 08:04 PM
    The usa is wayyy behind japan

They have been for years, especially when it comes to technology.
    12-15-08 08:57 PM
    I've been having luck with it on the Bold. You do have to set your capture to "Small (640x480)" and vary the distance. I think 6-8 inches is about the sweet spot.

I used to use tinyurl.com to make the OTA urls tiny for downloading, now I've been using their create-a-code successfully today.

-m
    12-15-08 10:44 PM
    i had the G1, and i didnt use the barcode thing that often, just enough to w0w my friends
    12-15-08 10:48 PM
    they now have it for the storm
    06-20-09 10:14 PM
    Total waste of time. I might as well be photographing my navel.

06-20-09 11:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD