Hi,

Running Desktop 7.1.0.32.
    Desktop doesn't save change in backup location.
    I have tried the following:
    1) Changed the backup location under device options
    2) Changed the backup location under desktop options
    3) Changed the backup location via the registry.

Everytime I restart the desktop it returns to the default location.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
    Greg
    08-28-12 11:04 AM
    You don't say the OS on the PC.

But on my Win7 PC I can confirm I have the same issue. Cannot change from defaults of My Documents\Blackberry\Backup

I also tried the registry change after using Task Manager to kill RIM processes. Made no difference
    08-28-12 01:05 PM
    Ok.. Guys.. you both are scaring me now!! i just checked, i have win7 (x64) prof, and DM v7.1.0.32 but it remembers the backup location!!!
    Last edited by jmd.aKBar; 08-28-12 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Added the screenshot
    08-28-12 02:08 PM
    Hi jmd.aKBar you hoopy frood,

Clearly DM likes you more that it likes us.

This is Win7 (x64) Ultimate on this PC. DM is v7.1.0.32

When I go into Tools\Desktop Options... and use the <CHANGE> button in there, I see it change on the screen. Hit OK, come back to the settings, it is still there. So if I did a backup now, it would be in the new place.

BUT... once I exit DM and restart it, it has been reset to the default again.

Slightly comically, the tick boxes on the same Options\General page ARE correctly remembered.
    08-28-12 02:23 PM
    Hi jmd.aKBar you hoopy frood,

Clearly DM likes you more that it likes us.

This is Win7 (x64) Ultimate on this PC. DM is v7.1.0.32

When I go into Tools\Desktop Options... and use the <CHANGE> button in there, I see it change on the screen. Hit OK, come back to the settings, it is still there. So if I did a backup now, it would be in the new place.

BUT... once I exit DM and restart it, it has been reset to the default again.

Slightly comically, the tick boxes on the same Options\General page ARE correctly remembered.
    I think i found where you can change it!!

It's located in
    <Windows_Drive>:\Users\<User_Name>\AppData\Roaming \Research In Motion\BlackBerry Desktop

In this folder there is a file called Settings.config .. Search for this string BackupFolderLocation. Change the value to whatever you want!!

EDIT: This string will be around the LineNumber 145.
    eg. It'll come up as
    <Configuration Name="BackupFolderLocation" Value="E:\Documents\Phone backups\bb" />
    Change the value from E:\Documents\Phone backups\bb to whatever new path you want !
    Last edited by jmd.aKBar; 08-28-12 at 03:02 PM.
    Batter Pudding likes this.
    08-28-12 02:55 PM
    That is weird. They also store it in the registry HKCU\Software\Research in Motion\Blackberry\BackupRestore

Still doesn't explain why it works for you but not us.

When I edit that settings.config file directly, the new folder location comes up on screen. And now I can't change that value instead. Other values in the settings.config change, but the BackupFolderLocation stays stuck at what was edited into the file.

Weird.
    08-28-12 03:36 PM
    Hi,
    Updating the config file worked for me. Thanks for suggestion.

I am running WinXp.

Greg
    08-28-12 05:21 PM
    Hi,
    Updating the config file worked for me. Thanks for suggestion.

I am running WinXp.

Greg
    Most welcome Greg Have a great time..

That is weird. They also store it in the registry HKCU\Software\Research in Motion\Blackberry\BackupRestore

Still doesn't explain why it works for you but not us.

When I edit that settings.config file directly, the new folder location comes up on screen. And now I can't change that value instead. Other values in the settings.config change, but the BackupFolderLocation stays stuck at what was edited into the file.

Weird.
    I didn't get that Mr. BP!! Could you tell what's stuck and how it's stuck?? I'm stuck trying to unstuck what you might've stuck!!
    08-29-12 01:13 PM
    that is weird. They also store it in the registry hkcu\software\research in motion\blackberry\backuprestore

still doesn't explain why it works for you but not us.

When i edit that settings.config file directly, the new folder location comes up on screen. And now i can't change that value instead. Other values in the settings.config change, but the backupfolderlocation stays stuck at what was edited into the file.

Weird.
    i didn't get that mr. Bp!! :d could you tell what's stuck and how it's stuck?? I'm stuck trying to unstuck what you might've stuck!!
    Sorry, was not clear enough there.

Your fix works perfectly. As long as I edit the settings.config file, and save it all is good. It must be done when DM is closed.

What then happens is when I look at the Options page in the DM GUI it shows your newly corrected folder. Perfect. Backups go to the new location. The GUI shows this new location in the options page.

What I observed was that if I then use the GUI to change the location, it still does not want to write that out to the settings.config file. Even though other settings are written out correctly.

Basically - it is clearly a DM bug, but you have found a good way around that bug.
    08-29-12 01:40 PM
    Sorry, was not clear enough there.

Your fix works perfectly. As long as I edit the settings.config file, and save it all is good. It must be done when DM is closed.

What then happens is when I look at the Options page in the DM GUI it shows your newly corrected folder. Perfect. Backups go to the new location. The GUI shows this new location in the options page.

What I observed was that if I then use the GUI to change the location, it still does not want to write that out to the settings.config file. Even though other settings are written out correctly.

Basically - it is clearly a DM bug, but you have found a good way around that bug.
    Hehehe.. Thnku I hadn't noticed this bug earlier, cuz i didn't need to change the location of the backups... it was correctly taken from the previous installation as "E:\Documents\Phone backups\bb" ... which is where all my backups are
    And, yup, now i also noticed every other change is written to the config file correctly, except the
    BackupFolderLocation value! (i hope there is no other bug apart from this.. )
    08-29-12 03:12 PM
    Had the same problem with BB Desktop 7.1.0.39 running under Windows XP x64, backing up a BB Torch 9800.
    Thanks for the workaround editing settings.config, which seems to have fixed it.
    Ironically, BB Desktop obviously thinks it has written the changed path to settings.config, even though it hasn't.
    When I change the backup path through the GUI, both settings.config and settings.config.backup receive updated timestamps, but the two files are identical.
    In other words, a new backup of the settings was made, even though the change in setting was not stored.
    Last edited by rsbrux; 02-25-13 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typo
    02-25-13 06:07 AM
    Turned out that there were many settings.config files on my machine but I eventually found the right one, changed it and it worked. Thanks very much.
    08-19-13 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD