just curious on how long you guys have had your 9700 (not talking about replacements. the same old bb you've been carrying since your bought it). i've had mine for almost a year and it works like it did day 1. i know some people who had to replace theirs because they say "they used the crap out of it" but they just won't admit they abuse it. so how long did you guys have it for and does it still work flawlessly?
    02-11-11 06:55 PM
    November 2009, a week or so after launch.

Never an issue, just keeps on working no matter what I do with the software the hardware keeps trundling on.
    02-11-11 07:15 PM
    i had a 87OOg and it past away in O9, it just turned off forever.......
    02-11-11 08:06 PM
    never knew why..
    02-11-11 08:07 PM
    got mine aug '10 and still works like it just got unwrapped
    02-11-11 08:39 PM
    I've had mine since February 2010. Except for having to reload the OS, no problems with it.
    02-11-11 08:42 PM
    I've had mine since late May 2010, and the only problem I've had with mine is a currently broken UP volume button that I may or may not have caused by dropping it while on the treadmill. Other than that, she's functioned beautifully.

I say may not because after doing some research, some people have the same issue but without the dropping of the phone. Might just be bad luck.
    02-11-11 09:09 PM
    Had mine since June of last year. Dropped it a few times before I got an Otterbox case. Still ticks like new, even with .448. Stock came with 5.0.0.714

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-11 09:34 PM
    I bought mine back in Dec '09 and it functions wonderfully just like it did when I first purchased it.

It's also probably helped that I've had a case on it for the most part. ;-)

02-11-11 09:36 PM
    November 2009, a week or so after launch.

Never an issue, just keeps on working no matter what I do with the software the hardware keeps trundling on.
    This mirrors my experience completely. I love this device.
    02-11-11 09:37 PM
    Got mine in may 2010 and overall I guess it's in great condition. Can't really tell since I put on an invisible shield after ~1 month of having it. There was probably some comestic wear and tear from before I put on the invisible shield. My battery cover is somewhat getting loose, anybody else with this similar issue?

02-11-11 10:37 PM
    Had mine since April 2010. Mint condition with barely any wear and tear since it never went a whole day without a case.
    02-11-11 11:14 PM
    Had mine since May, 2010. Had 2 panic induced incidents. First, BB just went dead in the middle of a call. Thought it had died for good until i tried doing a clean install on the OS. Pop back to life.

Second incident involved accidentally immersing it in water. Took 2 days to dry it out, and it pop back to life. But the memory card can't be read til a week later. Lucky!
    02-11-11 11:21 PM
    it depends on the user too take care of it like a baby dont let it drop for any reason and keep a nice thick rubber (my choice no plasticky stuff) one and you should be ok and charge regularly.

Batteries 101 by Batteryworld.com - Information, tips, and facts about batteries and chargers
    02-11-11 11:22 PM
    I replaced the first two after launch Nov 2009 because of a loose trackpad, with AT&T. Then moved to TMO, and the one I got from them has been solid. It takes a lot of beating but is holding up well. No case, just screen protector. Battery still great.
    02-11-11 11:57 PM
    Anything that lasts about the same as my contract is ok by me. But had an 8830, that thing was a brick and was a workhorse. Sure it chocked up because of the old hardware but it would never fail at what I wanted it to do.
    02-12-11 12:28 AM
    November 2009. It works as good as the day I bought it.

02-12-11 12:52 AM
    I got mine on the day of release, mid Nov 2009 from memory.

I keep it in a silicone skin when it's not in the holster, and whilst I do take care of it, it is also in permanent use and has never missed a beat.

I'm going to treat it to OS6 tonight
    02-12-11 03:59 AM
    hi,
    I hope my onyx could last at least as long as my gemini (13months),I just had to change my gemini,after it was just totally messed up..
    but only 2 weeks in I'm having problems with my onyx,the battery will not go below 2.5 bars, after 2.5 bars it will just go straight to 0..and yes, i have bought a new battery as well. as i thought at first it was a problem with the battery,same thing still happens now..
    02-12-11 05:21 AM
    Jan 2010, original phone. Used to have an Otterbox Defender, and it did save the phone once. A short (maybe 2ft) length of 2x4 came loose on a drill press and started spinning, knocked the Otterbox holster (including phone) right off my belt, everything flew about 10 feet, then bounced off a concrete wall on to a concrete floor. Broke the plastic under the rubber outer housing, broke the holster.

Pried apart what was left and the phone looked OK but later I noticed a very small hairline crack in the screen but you have to hold the phone a certain way to see it, so no biggie.

Strangly enough, I never replaced the case, but decided that I just has to be slightly less stupid and take more care

Oh, and the paint is gone on the raised edges of the keys, but again thats my fault as I'm a thumb nail texter. Its not too bad and there is some light bleed, but not enough to stress over.

I also had an 8830 (tank) and retired it fully functional.
    02-12-11 08:26 AM
    January 2010, and still works fine! The face is a bit scratched up, from when it fell out of my purse into the bottom of a Go Kart I was driving... but the device is still fine.
    02-12-11 08:36 AM
    Dec 09. The frets on the keyboard are cracked I guess from strain?? But they stay in place and have since last April so I am not too worried about it. Other than the paint is gone on the bump on the 5 key it still looks fairly new.
    02-12-11 12:59 PM
    I've had ny 9700 since jan/10 and love it. No plans to upgrade the phone or to OS6.

02-12-11 01:10 PM
    I had to swap out my first 9700 cause the memory card reader went bad. This one has been 100% AWESOME!

I'll run it to the ground even with my new carrier as wind mobile once I'm out of telus's chain and ball.

02-12-11 06:37 PM
    I have had mine since Nov 4, 2009. My paint is starting to wear off some of the keys and the chrome in between 2 rows of keys has broken off. I had to replace the battery door as it wouldn't stay on. The phone itself I haven't had a problem with besides it is a tad slow sometimes or the MP3 player doesn't always work great.

It won't make it 3 years, I am a pretty heavy user of my phone. 1500 to 2000 min a month plus BBM and email all the time.

Going to hopefully try the new touchscreen ( storm 3 ) or whatever they decide to call it. RIM is due for a good release not a huge fan of the torch. Doesn't seem worth an upgrade.
    Last edited by makaveli28; 02-12-11 at 10:59 PM.
    02-12-11 10:57 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD