Okay well, I am writing this on my friends behalf and this happened earlier today.

He has a BlackBerry Torch 9800. What happened is;
    He wasn't using his phone for a while and left it (I mean for about an hour or something) and when he came back to it he said there was nothing on it. A security wipe had occurred for an unknown reason and everything on the phone had gone.
    It was basically like a brand new phone. He had a back up on desktop manager which enabled him to restore things back and its working fine now, I'm pretty sure.

Now, does anyone actually know why an automatic security wipe would have occurred?
    I mean, this really isn't supposed to happen is it?

Thank you.

[Sorry, I posted in the wrong section of the forum. This should be in the BlackBerry Torch 9800 section not the the 9900 section it was posted here by mistake and I don't really know how to delete the thread or move it!]
    Last edited by Beesh1; 05-11-12 at 02:51 PM.
    05-11-12 02:45 PM
    Maybe a setting for a certain number of failed password attempts? Somebody trying to get in?
    05-11-12 03:03 PM
    Can that actually be a possibility?

If someone writes an incorrect password [X] amount of times, it will security wipe?
    05-11-12 03:18 PM
    If it's second hand the previous owner wiped it on desktop manager?
    05-11-12 03:34 PM
    Can that actually be a possibility?

If someone writes an incorrect password [X] amount of times, it will security wipe?
    Entering the wrong password 10 times wipes the device. However, it is possible to set fewer attempt limits.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-11-12 03:40 PM
    My friend is the only owner of the phone and it has always been his.

So you are certain of that then, with the incorrect password if it is entered incorrect X amount of times (as much as the limit has been set) it will security wipe?
    Wow...I didn't know that
    05-11-12 03:43 PM
    My friend is the only owner of the phone and it has always been his.

So you are certain of that then, with the incorrect password if it is entered incorrect X amount of times (as much as the limit has been set) it will security wipe?
    Wow...I didn't know that
    Options - password - then you can see / set the amount of attempts.
    05-11-12 03:46 PM
    If you use a password, the maximum attempt is 10. It cannot be set higher.

05-11-12 03:49 PM
    Oh no, I know how to change the limit etc...
    I just meant, are you sure it will do a security wipe if it is entered wrong that many times?

Like, is it certain a security wipe will happen?
    05-11-12 03:51 PM
    100% of the time it will wipe. No way around it.

05-11-12 03:53 PM
    Thanks for your help, I will try and find out what happened!

Thanks!!!
    05-11-12 03:59 PM
    - Either your friend wiped it or some malicious user got their hands on it and wiped it on purpose
    - The phone was wiped via BB Protect
    - The phone is enrolled in a BES IT policy and was wiped by the IT administrator

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-11-12 06:49 PM
    Someones been messing with someones BB! Haha! If they have a paranoid spouse that was the reason it wiped. The person I gave my old 8330 to experienced the same mystery wipe. When I told him it would wipe after x amount of failed attempts it was no longer a mystery!
    05-11-12 06:53 PM
    After 5 attempts, you must type the word "blackberry" before you can attempt to unlock again. If it gets to 10 and wipes, then someone did it intentionally. Before the 10th attempt, you get a big popup warning that you're about to wipe the device with one more incorrect attempt.
    05-11-12 10:08 PM
    Well he doesn't have a spouse...
    So other than exceeding the password limit, there is practically no other way the phone can get wiped?

Alright well it seems as though someone did mess up his phone on purpose...People nowadays..
    05-12-12 03:17 AM
    i brought home my friends 9900 and there was a mix up with the password now the phone is doing the automatic wipe as i type this post my question is how long does it usually take because its been a few minutes and it keeps reaching 100% and doing it over and when it first turns on it shows the phone with a little x in the screen then after it completes the first 100% it now shows a little lock with a memory card symbol as well
    06-23-12 12:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD