i tried searching but had no luck. got the BOLD about a week ago and lovin it since day 1. one thing i cant figure out though is...is there anyway to turn auto caps off? i rather it not automatically capitalize the first letter of each sentence.

thanks.
    02-19-09 07:37 PM
    No, I don't think there is a way to take off that feature.
    You can however, backspace when it does capitalize and it'll make it lower case afterward.
    Or you can put a period (.) before each of your sentences, my brother does that on his BB.
    02-19-09 09:29 PM
    i tried searching but had no luck. got the BOLD about a week ago and lovin it since day 1. one thing i cant figure out though is...is there anyway to turn auto caps off? i rather it not automatically capitalize the first letter of each sentence.

thanks.
    No - automatically capitalizing the first letter has been an immutable and well-known BlackBerry feature (along with the automatic period after two spaces) since the beginning. The device was initially designed for people to easily communicate professionally, so despite the overlay of consumer-oriented gee-gaws over the past few years, I doubt RIM will go so far as to implement something to undo auto caps in order to appease the "how r u" crowd. I note you are already backspacing to affect the lower-case look, which does seem like an awful lot of trouble for what is, well, an affectation. I'm all for individual expression and creativity, but what's so horrible about typing sentences correctly, i.e., with the first letter capitalized?
    02-20-09 07:33 AM

thanks.
    Why? Is proper grammar harmful to you?
    02-20-09 11:21 AM
    There isn't a way to turn it off. But I've found if you click the letter you want to type, before you let it go, scroll your ball up/down. You'll get variations of that letter, including lowercase.
    02-20-09 11:26 AM
    I don't why the original poster wants auto-caps disabled, and frankly it doesn't matter. In my case I interface with remote systems that use lower-case commands. Having to type three keys every time I want to start off with a lower-case letter is a pain.

If it isn't a configurable setting, then just say so... there's no need to criticize the original poster. It was a valid question about the device.

-Steve
    02-21-09 01:50 PM
    There isn't a way to turn it off. But I've found if you click the letter you want to type, before you let it go, scroll your ball up/down. You'll get variations of that letter, including lowercase.
    Wow. Awesome. I never knew that before. Thanks for the awesome tip. You do learn something new every day.
    02-21-09 02:01 PM
    I learn something new every day here. Thanx.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 02:12 PM
    I don't why the original poster wants auto-caps disabled, and frankly it doesn't matter. In my case I interface with remote systems that use lower-case commands. Having to type three keys every time I want to start off with a lower-case letter is a pain.

If it isn't a configurable setting, then just say so... there's no need to criticize the original poster. It was a valid question about the device.

-Steve
    Good point Steve! If you go into auto text you can set your frequently used commands using specified case. May not help the OP though

02-21-09 02:30 PM
    if you click the letter you want to type, before you let it go, scroll your ball up/down. You'll get variations of that letter, including lowercase.
    This is great. I do not have a need, but it is a timesaver for folk who want to type a foreign language superscript, like variations of "a", "u", "n" and "o" and for umlauts and accents
    02-21-09 06:37 PM
    Ok the point here is I don't think that can be done
    Autocaps is a feature
    Sorry about that OP

02-22-09 11:19 AM
    No - automatically capitalizing the first letter has been an immutable and well-known BlackBerry feature (along with the automatic period after two spaces) since the beginning. The device was initially designed for people to easily communicate professionally, so despite the overlay of consumer-oriented gee-gaws over the past few years, I doubt RIM will go so far as to implement something to undo auto caps in order to appease the "how r u" crowd. I note you are already backspacing to affect the lower-case look, which does seem like an awful lot of trouble for what is, well, an affectation. I'm all for individual expression and creativity, but what's so horrible about typing sentences correctly, i.e., with the first letter capitalized?
    yeah, yeah. seems like a flimsy excuse. shouldn't be so hard to figure out how to include an 'off' setting. maybe there's a third party app out there somewhere that does this?
    08-20-09 10:11 AM

thanks.
    Wouldn't want it to appear to others that we paid attention in class now would we...
    08-20-09 10:44 AM
    I have seen this complaint a few times, and there are always the usual responses in regards to proper grammar. What some people here fail to understand, is that there are legitimate reasons one might wish to turn off the auto-capitalize feature, namely, passwords or other case sensitive situations. There are times it is advantageous to not have it auto-capitalize and I for one would prefer to have control over it myself. No not for the purpose of dumbing down language. I somehow always seemed to be able to capitalize all by myself using a keyboard, and--GASP--using a pencil. That people seem to think the only reason someone would wish to disable the feature is to be able to use the now common shortcut to language, or text-speak is rather annoying since there are plenty of other reasons to circumvent the feature.
    08-20-09 11:06 AM
    backspace is the solution !
    08-20-09 11:40 AM
    Nice! I type in Portuguese occasionally using my BB so this is perfect for adding the needed accents.
    08-20-09 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD