How scratch resistant will it be? It is such a nice slim phone. Hate to lose the "thinness" because it needs a case to protect the screen. Also, it looks like there is no beveled edge around the screen to properly install a screen protector. Thoughts? Cheers!
    05-18-11 04:16 PM
    Someone that had hands on said glass, I remember reading.
    05-18-11 04:20 PM
    Someone that had hands on said glass, I remember reading.
    Yes, I can remember reading recently about one of the new BB's having a glass screen. I can't say with certainty that this was about the 99XX and not the Storm3/Monaco. Maybe it's both.

Who feels like doing some googling...?
    05-18-11 04:35 PM
    It will be glass, was hoping gorilla glass (maybe?)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-11 06:31 PM
    I'm pretty sure kevin confirmed it had a glass screen @ BB world
    05-18-11 06:35 PM
    Yeah Kevin confirmed glass, but it isn't gorilla glass
    05-18-11 09:19 PM
    Right... WTH is "gorilla" glass? Made to withstand a gorilla's finger press or somethin?
    Basically, yes

Very hard wearing and scratchproof, used on most modern Android phones.

05-19-11 12:20 PM
    well capacitive touch screens pretty much have to be glass, so yeah its definitely a high quality glass.

05-19-11 12:25 PM
    Right... WTH is "gorilla" glass? Made to withstand a gorilla's finger press or somethin?
    It's a type of glass developed by Corning with special coatings, making it extremely rigid and protects it against scratches and chipping, as far as I know.
    05-19-11 01:47 PM
    try these videos as well....

Gorilla Glass Demonstration on Vimeo

RIM always takes 2 steps backward and one forward, I think we will see gorilla glass on BlackBerries in 2020 or may be I hard it will come on around December, 2019.
    05-19-11 05:13 PM
    Glass from what I've been hearing. It would make perfect sense.
    05-21-11 08:13 PM
    Seems like glass. What ever it is it does not get scratched that easy if you use reasonable care. I have not scratched a screen on multiple models in a while after they went to the newer screens.

I really hate any case that stays on the phone while you use it. I tend to enjoy my phone more when I just use it giving it reasonable care. I see people, here, that have to keep their phone in like new condition or they are not happy. That is ashame.
    05-22-11 06:03 AM
    I have a habbit of dropping my phone so I need a case. Having a screen protector on a touch screen doesn't affect it's performance.

05-22-11 08:15 AM
    I see people, here, that have to keep their phone in like new condition or they are not happy. That is ashame.
    I guess what's sadder to me are people who think that even if a phone has some dings & gouges on it from repeately dropping it...or has scratches on the screen, that it's in "mint or 9/10" condition.

I'm one of those anal people you describe, and I've bought two 9700's recently from a member of this and another online board that have come to me in that shape and worse...after being described as "mint".

If you ever want to sell your BB at a reasonable price after a season of use...keep a case & screen protector on it, especially if you are drop-prone or like to put it in your pocket with keys & change.

You'll thank me later...
    05-22-11 08:38 AM
    Even If as they say the screen is scratch resistant its still a good idea to put a screen protector on...I recently purchased an Ipad 2 and it specifically said that the screen has a "scratch resistant coating" that will wear off over time. Even my HTC EVO that I have now has scratch resistant glass but I still used a screen protector because its a simple added dose of protection.

When It comes to outside protection I can only keep a case on for a week before I get completely annoyed. Every case that I have come in contact with completely changes the feel when typing on the phone.
    05-22-11 01:30 PM
    Even If as they say the screen is scratch resistant its still a good idea to put a screen protector on...I recently purchased an Ipad 2 and it specifically said that the screen has a "scratch resistant coating" that will wear off over time. Even my HTC EVO that I have now has scratch resistant glass but I still used a screen protector because its a simple added dose of protection.

When It comes to outside protection I can only keep a case on for a week before I get completely annoyed. Every case that I have come in contact with completely changes the feel when typing on the phone.
    Same here... I am not along!!! I feel wired when typing with OEM BB 9700 rubber case too.
    05-22-11 10:15 PM
    well capacitive touch screens pretty much have to be glass, so yeah its definitely a high quality glass.

not really... it wasnt until the palm pre2 that it got a glass screen (gorilla glass). glass is just more durable and gives it a more high end feel.
    05-22-11 10:37 PM
    I hope its better than whatever my curve used to have, you just had to look at it and it would scratch!

I dont know the coating of my hd7, but its very very durable! amount of times ive dropped it or left it in my pocket with keys and its still markless! and somewhat self cleaning ^_^

05-23-11 10:00 AM
    I knocked onto it :O it certainly feels like the texture of the bold 9700. 99% sure what i knocked wasn't glass but plastic.

Also, glass is quite heavy so.. not sure if you want more weight already... cuz just holding both phones, the 9900 feels a little heavier.

But definitely with the screen and hangup/bb/call/back key all streamlined with the screen, it looks very nice and feels nice. I would have preferred the red hangup key and back key to be separated though, simply cuz i have a habit of spamming the back key and the hangup key to get back to home screen.
    05-23-11 12:25 PM
    Screen protectors ruin it.. I can't have one on my 9700 because they effect the clarity (privacy screens and matte protectors are the worst) of the screen.. Especially under sunlight.. With it naked everything is just that much more crisp and vibrant on the display..

05-25-11 01:18 AM
    I guess what's sadder to me are people who think that even if a phone has some dings & gouges on it from repeately dropping it...or has scratches on the screen, that it's in "mint or 9/10" condition.

I'm one of those anal people you describe, and I've bought two 9700's recently from a member of this and another online board that have come to me in that shape and worse...after being described as "mint".

If you ever want to sell your BB at a reasonable price after a season of use...keep a case & screen protector on it, especially if you are drop-prone or like to put it in your pocket with keys & change.

You'll thank me later...
    Thank you? Why

I seldom sell my devices they just go into "the drawer:

There are two more drawers just like this but they are reserved for iOS and Android.
    05-25-11 05:17 AM
    Sorry to dig this thread back up, but I heard the guy in the video on Engadget mention plastic screens. Could something have changed since BlackBerry World? Is someone mistaken?
    08-03-11 01:15 PM

You'll thank me later...
    I doubt I will be thanking you as all of my past devices sit in a drawer, I seldon sell them when I am done.
    08-03-11 01:18 PM
    I seldom worry about the resale part, a) I don't keep one long enough to get any wear, tear or abuse and b) everyone I have ever sold has been pristine condition truly 9/10 and never a complaint about them and finally I bundle in all of the outgoing accessories so they get it all
    08-03-11 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD