I'm a big Google Maps user on the 9780. Has anyone had the chance to install and play with it?

Does the GPS start faster than the 9780?

Your thoughts?
    08-11-11 11:43 AM
    I just picked up my 9900 yesterday. Google Maps was one of my first installs. It is working great. It locks in on my position much faster than my 9800 ever did!
    sg8330, bcbbanga4l, mssca and 3 others like this.
    08-11-11 12:58 PM
    excellent!

thanks
    08-11-11 01:37 PM
    Yea Google Maps was my second install and it seems to work fine. No issues as of yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-11 04:51 AM
    Is the blackberry maps app different or the same as OS6?

08-12-11 05:26 AM
    Do the maps now point you in the direction you're going?
    08-12-11 05:28 AM
    Google maps do work out pretty good and the navigation feature works better in india than the actual Blackberry maps.
    08-12-11 05:32 AM
    Hi All,

Do you know:
    What version is it?
    Does it have touch screen pinch to zoom (like Android and IOS)?
    Also does it have the Latitiude functionality?

many thanks.
    08-12-11 06:00 AM
    Hi All,

Do you know:
    What version is it?
    Does it have touch screen pinch to zoom (like Android and IOS)?
    Also does it have the Latitiude functionality?

many thanks.
    You don't get pinch zoom... You have dedicated zoom in and zoom out icons on the screen.

It's likely the exact same version the Torch has (touchscreen version).
    08-12-11 06:08 AM
    You don't get pinch zoom... You have dedicated zoom in and zoom out icons on the screen.

It's likely the exact same version the Torch has (touchscreen version).
    Press I to zoom in O to zoom out and 0 to find your location.

Why are people insisting on pinch to zoom? I and O work best, it has a full qwerty after all.

Ebscer likes this.
    08-12-11 06:20 AM
    Press I to zoom in O to zoom out and 0 to find your location.

Why are people insisting on pinch to zoom? I and O work best, it has a full qwerty after all.

It now has a full capacitive touch screen with pinch to zoom capabilities so RIM seems to disagree with you.
    08-12-11 07:21 AM
    Thanks all,

While trying to beat my Crackberry addiction (failed) a while ago i used an HTC desire, and the google maps app on there was excelent, i don't know why but i just found pinch to zoom much easier to use. But it may be that it was a better app the the BB version.
    08-12-11 07:27 AM
    It now has a full capacitive touch screen with pinch to zoom capabilities so RIM seems to disagree with you.
    For photos yes, but in the maps it's much easier to use I and O shortcuts and you can use them single handed, try pinching with one hand. I'm not saying that it's not useful overall.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 08-12-11 at 07:59 AM.
    08-12-11 07:57 AM
    Does the Google Maps app have navigation like on Android phones? That would be incredible. Does it at least have directions?

Sorry to thread-jack, but I really want to get the new Bold or Torch, and the only thing holding me back is not knowing if I can have a decent free (or even paid) navigation gps app.
    08-12-11 08:25 AM
    Does the Google Maps app have navigation like on Android phones? That would be incredible. Does it at least have directions?

Sorry to thread-jack, but I really want to get the new Bold or Torch, and the only thing holding me back is not knowing if I can have a decent free (or even paid) navigation gps app.
    Ever try BlackBerry Traffic? Don't let the name fool you, it's a GREAT navigation app as well. I personally can't believe they haven't integrated it with BlackBerry Maps yet considering (I'd imagine) they use the same maps database.
    08-12-11 08:37 AM

Honestly Google maps on the 9900 is no different than on any other BB. That's to say: its pretty badly outdated. If you use it side by side like I just tested with and iPhone 4 - everything is almost 2x faster and better lookinh at the same time on the iPhone. Also, street view is absolute garbage on BB. The images are horrible in quality by comparison. Of course, its not a surprise when most companies spend time developing proper apps for iOS and Android. Wish they would step it up on BB.

There is navigation and direction finding however so it works. There's no fancy compass feature and the overall look and quality of the maps and direction overlay etc. Just looks like its from 1998

Last edited by chorner; 08-12-11 at 08:40 AM.
    08-12-11 08:37 AM
    Google maps works great on my 9900, I love the my location button at the bottom right of the screen! Makes using it a lot easier!

08-12-11 10:52 AM
    For some reason I can't find google maps on Blackberry App World.

I also can't find Whatsapp.

Anyone else not able to find it?
    08-13-11 08:42 AM
    For some reason I can't find google maps on Blackberry App World.

I also can't find Whatsapp.

Anyone else not able to find it?

Don't think Google Maps has ever been in appworld. I always got it from here:

Google Maps for mobile
    DPSydBerry likes this.
    08-13-11 09:25 AM
    Hey, CrackBerry Nation! Google Maps was quickly one of the most highly requested apps to toy around with on the new Bold 900 Series. I made a quick video I posted on my blog here Andres Segovia's NewsReel: BlackBerry Quick Look: Google Maps and BlackBerry maps on the new 9930 for Verizon Wireless

I briefly walkthrough Google Maps and BlackBerry Maps on my Bold 9930 on Verizon Wireless. I hope this answers many questions people have!
    08-27-11 10:06 PM
    that's a bummer that even on the 9900 he hourglassing is still there with his app, Google probably does that deliberately to f us
    08-29-11 01:10 AM
    that's a bummer that even on the 9900 he hourglassing is still there with his app, Google probably does that deliberately to f us
    BB OS is old. Get over yourself.
    08-29-11 03:06 AM
    i cant get google maps to lock into my location but the default map prorgram can. frustrating....
    08-29-11 03:15 AM
    Works great and location found Fast! Two thumbs way up!
    08-29-11 03:50 AM
    The hourglass is there simply to tell you to wait, other platforms just give you lag instead. Surely a powerfull dual core android shouldn't lag but guess what, still does.

08-29-11 03:59 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD