I am about to return this bold and go back to my 8530. for the most part the phone is great but several time a day my signal will go from 1XEV to EV and i end up having to do a couple battery pulls to get my signal back to working condition. Also it will sometimes go to 1xev. I try to turn off connections but it will not do anything and when i turn the phone off and back on again the radio will be off and will not turn on??? Called cs and the guy didn't know anything about it.....just recommended a batt pull, lots of help. So has anyone had these problems? thanks in advance
    05-22-10 09:08 PM
    Nope. How about instead of downgrading, simply go into a Sprint Store, show a rep the issues you are having, and get a new Bold. Seems like the logical thing to me but hey, who am I to tell you what to do.
    05-22-10 09:22 PM
    probably first batch faults
    05-22-10 09:34 PM
    I had the same problem with my Curve 8330 a few weeks ago. It's not specific to your Bold and your hardware isn't at fault. Like you, I got the same response (battery pull, system update) from CS at Verizon when this happened sporadically for almost two weeks. All of a sudden the problem disappeared. It's a huge PITA, but keep calling CS and establish that there is a problem. It should resolve itself. There's no need to downgrade.
    05-22-10 09:37 PM
    Try update prl. Then. Dial *18. Listen to two beeps. Dead air then device hangs up. I got much better signal after these steps on both tour and bold

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-10 12:54 PM
    yes I have same problem . prl update seems to help and putting phne on home and 1XEV. theres supposed to be a software update on may 25th so im gonna see if that helps before exchanging for new bold.

05-23-10 01:57 PM
    can you tell me where to find prl update please? thank you.
    05-23-10 02:59 PM
    options then manage connections then hit menu key next to track pad

05-23-10 03:42 PM
    Try update prl. Then. Dial *18. Listen to two beeps. Dead air then device hangs up. I got much better signal after these steps on both tour and bold

What exactly does *18 do?
    05-23-10 04:02 PM
    What I was told is it resets your location or some other such thing but basically re registers the towers, so like the phone comes from KY and its now mine in CA I run *18 and it resets to CA based towers.. might be bunk but it doesn't hurt to try it.
    05-23-10 04:10 PM
    What I was told is it resets your location or some other such thing but basically re registers the towers, so like the phone comes from KY and its now mine in CA I run *18 and it resets to CA based towers.. might be bunk but it doesn't hurt to try it.
    Went to manage connections, couldn't find prl or any updates. Am i looking in the wrong place?
    05-23-10 05:35 PM
    Yea sorry it was mobile network not manage connections. Sorry. There's another thread about signal strength with info there

Last edited by juttin3; 05-23-10 at 05:45 PM.
    05-23-10 05:41 PM
    Thanks juttin3.
    05-23-10 05:58 PM

Thats worth a shot, it has been fine all day today so we will see.
    05-23-10 09:04 PM
    yes I have same problem . prl update seems to help and putting phne on home and 1XEV. theres supposed to be a software update on may 25th so im gonna see if that helps before exchanging for new bold.

Wow, an update already.....I have it set to 1XEV and home. Always look forward to new software.
    05-23-10 09:06 PM
    Well my phone is stuck on ev now. seached for cdma for a few minutes and now stuck. I tried the *18 mentioned above but didnt seem to help. Never had a problem with my curve. Looks like sprint will be getting this one back and the curve will live again.......this blows.
    05-24-10 12:33 PM
    I noticed mine doing the same thing, not horrible though. You can really tell from the curve 2. The first tour has the same problem, wondering if they are ever going to fix it
    05-24-10 12:45 PM
    I don't know but wish they would do something. The 8530 is a nice phone but I prefer the tour/bold. I have been trying to get the radio back on for a good 10 minutes with no luck. Trying battery pull #2....................
    05-24-10 12:50 PM
    Reception on my 9650 is not nearly as good as my 8330 also. I am having lots of dropped calls. Not very happy. I have never had dropped calls. I had better reception with my 8350i.
    05-24-10 04:28 PM
    os for tomorow? hopefully

http://www.pocketberry.com/2010/05/21/blackberry-bold-9650-os-5-0-0-699-coming-may-25th-from-sprint/

Wow, an update already.....I have it set to 1XEV and home. Always look forward to new software.
    05-24-10 04:31 PM
    Maybe so on the os...i don't know. I do know that if there is an os update and it doesn't fix the issues i am having it will be going back.
    05-24-10 06:22 PM
    Verizon also has an update similiar to Sprint's * 18 and trust me, it isn't bunk.
    I use the *228 once a month and if traveling as well. It updates your device to the current towers and boots it like a computer. It is good for the phone.
    05-24-10 08:49 PM
    I did the *18 trick, nothing really changed, can someone please excuse my rookness and tell me what a PRL update is?
    05-24-10 10:24 PM
    To update the PRL on your Blackberry, click on the Manage Connections icon on your home screen. Then click on Mobile Network Options. Then tap your Menu button (on the left side of the track pad) and click on Update Preferred List. It will then search for and download the latest PRL for your phone. After that click on Update Profile. This will also update various other parts of the networking software and phone software on the phone.

After I did both steps above, I no longer had any connection issues.

My phone is set to Automatic for Network Selection mode and to Global for Network Technology.

Post if these steps help you or not.
    05-25-10 07:34 AM
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that I have the WiFi turned on as well, along with the Blackberry Firewall. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
    05-25-10 07:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD