all seemed ok then rebooting began

second phone ordered

same as above

then called talked to rim

they had me wipe the phone..

and ALL BECAME FINE..
    moved contacts over SEPARATELY not the entire 8700 info

hence.. all still ok..

so what they said was in the switch tool usage it moves over other 8700 (or other model) features that are not 100 percent compatable..

so having problems
    wipe it
    and move only the CRITIcal INFO NOT A FULL SWITCH FROM old berry

Good Luck... simple fix that took two phones AND 12 hours on the phone with ATT three levels and finaly rim TWICE!!!
    06-06-09 06:09 PM
    Sounds like a hardware problem

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-09 06:52 PM
    Coincidentally podtrapper did this to me twice today! Going to try 247

06-06-09 09:15 PM
    I was having spontaneous re-boots with OS .167, .185, and .190. Upgraded to .237 and haven't had any problems since. Haven't done a battery pull or reset in 3 months and memory is stable at 34-35 MB.
    06-07-09 02:20 AM
    Think I've seen maybe 2 reboots ever...
    Same here. It would need a OS reinstall,maybe another build!

06-07-09 05:10 AM
    i bought 2 spare bold batteries. one of the spares give me constant reboots and once i changed it, it didnt reboot anymore.
    06-07-09 09:36 AM
    i bought 2 spare bold batteries. one of the spares give me constant reboots and once i changed it, it didnt reboot anymore.
    I think that some Bold/batter/battery cover combinations will allow momentary interruptions in power, thus rebooting. Some folks have put a business card between the battery and the cover to make things a bit more snug and apparently this alleviates the problem for at least some people.
    06-07-09 02:07 PM
    mine reboots 3-4 times a day. going to AT&T warrenty center to get a new phone. it's restarted when i get text messages, calls, it has even restarted in the middle of a voicemail i was leaving my buddy. really chaps my ***.
    06-07-09 02:17 PM
    Downgraded to 247 and problem solved. No more spontaneous reboots when listening or advancing media. Especially in podtrapper.

So far I am happy!

06-07-09 04:58 PM
    i got my Bold the first day it came out..ive had the same one since and had 2 reboots..ive had all the beta os and have bunch of apps installed so rebooting is not a problem for me.
    06-07-09 05:23 PM
    Mine reboots or gets the ominous clock and blank screen A LOT! It really burns my biscuit! I've deleted several apps and decreased the length of time it holds messages and it still does it! I called AT&T and they were NO help at all! I think it musta been the guys first day. He was very pleasant...but clueless! Anybody else get the clock,etc? They wanted me to wipe the phone out and start over. I can't cause my PC is down! I'm feeling very much handicapped at this point! Can someone tell me...does the app memory increase with the newer versions? I still stock .167. Or is it just a bad software issue? Anyone, anyone??

06-07-09 06:14 PM
    I have had mine for 3 months and it has never randomly booted. I am still on the AT&T OS that it came with, too.
    06-07-09 06:21 PM
    well, I just got my Bold replaced last month, I had two problems appear at the same time -random reboot and fast-draining battery life, I thought the 2 were related but looking back they weren't. Switching to a replacement battery didn't help, I eventually got the entire handset replaced (thanks Orange UK!)
    06-07-09 06:28 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD