Hello,

I'm wondering if the GPS in the Bold will give turn by turn directions. I heard that the iPhone can't do it, and I'm wondering if the Bold will.

Thanks,
    CS
    08-16-08 04:31 AM
    Sorry, I meant turn-by-turn VOICE directions...
    08-16-08 04:37 AM
    To my knowledge to bulit in GPS doesn't unless your carrier provides the software for a monthly fee or you purchase 3rd party software.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-08 04:49 AM
    To my knowledge to bulit in GPS doesn't unless your carrier provides the software for a monthly fee or you purchase 3rd party software.

Especially cus we're all on at&t they lock BB maps, now I've tried (unsuccesfuly) to get it to run but no luck. I'm not sure if BB maps has turn by turn directions but for at&t they have their own software at&t navigator (navigon? I dont remember what they used to call it) that gives turn by turn but costs $10/mo so after a years u've put down $120. I think the best deal is $99 license for garmin navigator for BB and its good for life (or the life of your berry because its set up according to your pin, which is why if you plan on upgrading like I do I will be getting this for my bold, whenever that comes out). Or you could go the free way and get nav4all which gives turn by turn directions. It works pretty well I've actually used this one but everything is pretty spartan. As its more geared towards european users which took me a while to realize that I needed to find a petrol station.

Edit: AT&T Nav and Garmin both have current local fuel prices, weather and traffic, and I think garmin has flight status updates
    Last edited by Jackal; 08-16-08 at 12:19 PM.
    08-16-08 12:16 PM
    So does mapquest navigator!!!

08-16-08 06:10 PM
    Especially cus we're all on at&t they lock BB maps, now I've tried (unsuccesfuly) to get it to run but no luck. I'm not sure if BB maps has turn by turn directions but for at&t they have their own software at&t navigator (navigon? I dont remember what they used to call it) that gives turn by turn but costs $10/mo so after a years u've put down $120. I think the best deal is $99 license for garmin navigator for BB and its good for life (or the life of your berry because its set up according to your pin, which is why if you plan on upgrading like I do I will be getting this for my bold, whenever that comes out). Or you could go the free way and get nav4all which gives turn by turn directions. It works pretty well I've actually used this one but everything is pretty spartan. As its more geared towards european users which took me a while to realize that I needed to find a petrol station.

Edit: AT&T Nav and Garmin both have current local fuel prices, weather and traffic, and I think garmin has flight status updates

you can use BB Maps on your AT&T device. Check Stoners Memory Optimization Guide in the How-To forum or check out this link: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html

There is a part in there wher you modify the Vendor codes and that will allow you to use BB Maps.
    08-16-08 06:48 PM
    turn by turn directions has nothing to do with the gps hardware built into the phone. it has to do with the software.

the curve 8310 has gps, however blackberry maps program doesnt give turn by turn voice directions. google maps doesn't have voice directions either. i know nav4all does and it is a free program.
    08-16-08 06:53 PM
    Thanks everyone for your input.

Greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    CS
    08-18-08 07:47 PM
    one word: Garmin
    08-28-08 07:24 PM
    one word: Garmin
    two words: Garmin Sucks
    08-28-08 07:41 PM
    you can use BB Maps on your AT&T device. Check Stoners Memory Optimization Guide in the How-To forum or check out this link: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html

There is a part in there wher you modify the Vendor codes and that will allow you to use BB Maps.
    He wants voice though. BB Maps doesnt give voice.

Edit:

Three words: Garmin Kicks @ss!
    08-28-08 08:01 PM
    two words: Garmin Sucks
    okay. I'm up for another suggestion then. I am about to purchase Garmin tomorrow after my trial period. Please let me know of something better. Thanks!
    08-28-08 08:08 PM
    I have yet to find a GPS software that has pre-loaded maps, turn by turn voice directions and is supported by the bold on the Rogers network, preferably non subscription based... looked all over and emailed many different software developers... maybe it's still too new? On my old iPaq I used iGuidance and worked flawlessly.
    08-28-08 08:19 PM
    try amazeGPS or Nav4All which are free GPS voice applications - just do a Google (and add blackberry)
    08-31-08 05:30 PM
    most providers also have an option for $10 a month, i know rogers has it
    08-31-08 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD