Do you really want to do that? When T-Mobile has their 3G network rolled out, that version of the Bold will still not work on the UMTS frequency that T-Mobile uses in the US - (1700).

AT&T UMTS 1900/2100

T-Mobile UMTS 1700/2100

No but by the time TMo rolls out the Bold...

Ive become VERY impatient
    08-22-08 06:36 PM
    T-Mobile sells the Bold in the UK.
    yea, the QWERTZ or something...?

All I know is, theres a difference in the keyboard.
    I think there might be a bit of confusion here... as far as I am aware T-Mobile have only released the Bold in Germany so far, with a QWERTZ keyboard, and not in the UK as yet.

When they do it will have a 'standard' QWERTY keyboard.
    08-23-08 04:26 AM
    no problem so far

No problems?
    08-23-08 07:06 PM
    So far as I am aware no company in either America or the UK is actually selling unlocked SIM free Bolds yet, although some users have unlocked them themselves.

It has been said before now that it was the operators who were holding up the release of the 'branded' models rather, than the manufacturers (RIM) but surely they (the manufacturers) are the ones who have in effect prevented any unlocked ones being sold yet.

If that were not the case, then I am sure that more than one money grabbing reseller would have been offering them for sale by now.

Now I don't know how the distribution will 'work' in the U.S.A. but here in the UK the normal procedure is for a few major distributors (and large resellers) to buy directly from RIM, and then sell on to smaller outlets etc. I will ignore the 'grey market' however for the moment!

The major operators (Vodafone, O2 etc) are not of course that keen on selling unlocked models, as they can make more money out of contracts!

I would expect therefore that quite a number of resellers (particularly on-line), will be offering unlocked Bolds for sale in the next 10 days or so, and at about the same time, but I do find it quite surprising at the wide range of prices still being asked for exactly the same thing... an unlocked Bold Smartphone.

These curently range from about �350 up to �535 which is an extraordinary wide price range. Once the device has been launched however I would expect to see a drop in prices to somewhere around the lower figure.

The next few weeks are going to be very interesting, and my main aim (like most other 'Crackberries' I suspect) is to purchase one from a reliable source, (not eBay) as soon as I can, at the lowest possible price.

It's all good fun, provided you don't weaken!
    Last edited by Montala; 08-24-08 at 05:02 AM.
    08-24-08 05:00 AM
    I've been playing with the unlocked and unbranded version for over a month.
    08-24-08 07:26 AM
    Okay I have a few questions since I'm almost dead set on buying a Rogers bold and unlocking it.

I'm going to be using it on AT&T and I've heard that things work well if not better on their networks. Reguardless of this fact unlocked my bold should do everything my current locked curve does (push email, pin messaging, etc.) correct?

And I'm not sure on the whole OS thing if I'm supposed to load new OS from rogers or at&t or it doesn't matter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-08 09:44 AM
    Okay I have a few questions since I'm almost dead set on buying a Rogers bold and unlocking it.

I'm going to be using it on AT&T and I've heard that things work well if not better on their networks. Reguardless of this fact unlocked my bold should do everything my current locked curve does (push email, pin messaging, etc.) correct?

And I'm not sure on the whole OS thing if I'm supposed to load new OS from rogers or at&t or it doesn't matter.

judging from the responses here and on Pinstack, yes all the features should work and your PIN SHOULDNT be locked. (fingers crossed)

I read a post by Kevin stating if you buy the Rogers unlocked and use on ATT, yes, you should load the ATT OS once is is released.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to take the plunge!!
    08-24-08 11:04 AM
    All our test samples we receive from Rim are never network locked, I don't really see the point of the networks locking the devices as you are the one that's paying for it.

The ultimate issue is how many dollars that a carrier pays RIM to get exclusive access to their product.

So the real reason BBs don't come unlocked is the ROI that Rogers or ATT can get from a customer.
    08-24-08 12:19 PM
    anyone know if you can use an unlocked bold with Alltel in the US?
    08-24-08 01:27 PM
    I've been playing with the unlocked and unbranded version for over a month.
    Where'd you get an unbranded bold? That is my interest since I don't want all the carrier junk on it.
    08-24-08 03:04 PM
    Golf7, it is not possible to get a Bold onto Altell as they are a CDMA network, not GSM. You could only get it to work on att (with 3G) and T-mobile (Edge only).

08-24-08 03:17 PM
    judging from the responses here and on Pinstack, yes all the features should work and your PIN SHOULDNT be locked. (fingers crossed)

I read a post by Kevin stating if you buy the Rogers unlocked and use on ATT, yes, you should load the ATT OS once is is released.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to take the plunge!!
    I've made my decision and I will make the plunge. An early birthday presant for me. The bold keyboard on rogers doesn't have red numbers? (Not even concerned just curious why) I'll be in touch with our canadian members and set up a buy. I can't wait. I really am a crackhead. =)

08-24-08 04:49 PM
    Thanks for the quick response. Maybe the bold will be released on cdma carriers soon. But I kind of wanna wait for the javelin

08-24-08 05:00 PM
    Where'd you get an unbranded bold? That is my interest since I don't want all the carrier junk on it.

Pre production unit with final OS now.
    08-25-08 04:37 PM
    I have unlocked, Hong Kong CSL branded device ...

All services, PIN, email, MMS etc working on MTN South Africa ...

08-25-08 10:10 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD