Hey there!

There are a gazzillion different threads about the Bold. However, since the Rogers launch I'm POSITIVE more people will be purchasing the phone unlocked or purchasing the phone and then having it unlocked and using it on alternate carriers. I was hoping we could TRY to keep all the stories and feedback here

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want the Bold and was waiting (very impatiently ) for ATT to release it but since it seems like ATT's launch could take a while... I was considering purchasing the handset unlocked and using it.

Heres what I would like from you, Blackberry experts, if you indeed have an unlocked Bold and are using it on a US carrier, (ATT, TMobile) let us know how its working! Do you have full use of ALL the features of the phone (web,email,mms, ect)? Has anyone had their PIN locked(heard that was happening)? Whatever information or details are appreciated! I cant wait to get the scoop!

Thank you
    08-22-08 09:25 AM
    Ill be getting my unlocked Bold from PCCW Mobile in Hong Kong next week.
    Will provide feedback as I get it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-08 09:36 AM
    Thanks laurent!!
    08-22-08 09:38 AM
    Purchased a T-Mobile branded one on eBay and have been using it on AT&T for about 10 days now with no issues.

Phone is branded T-Mobile on the bottom and I upgraded last night to the most recent OS firmware with no issues so far.

The OS that came with the phone was 92 which was an old one, and the phone kept on freezing and reseting by itself, but with this upgrade, so far so good.

The PIN wasn't locked from day one and I'm waiting for my UNBRANDED one that is coming mid next week and once that comes, I'll be putting this one up for sale.

I have everything working. I've got it running smoothly on AT&T BIS, emails, MMS, SMS, text all work properly and the browser is also very fast.
    08-22-08 09:52 AM
    I am thinking about making a trip to Canada over the weekend. If I come back with a Bold I will report back.
    08-22-08 10:08 AM
    All our test samples we receive from Rim are never network locked, I don't really see the point of the networks locking the devices as you are the one that's paying for it.

08-22-08 10:18 AM
    Purchased a T-Mobile branded one on eBay and have been using it on AT&T for about 10 days now with no issues.

Phone is branded T-Mobile on the bottom and I upgraded last night to the most recent OS firmware with no issues so far.

The OS that came with the phone was 92 which was an old one, and the phone kept on freezing and reseting by itself, but with this upgrade, so far so good.

The PIN wasn't locked from day one and I'm waiting for my UNBRANDED one that is coming mid next week and once that comes, I'll be putting this one up for sale.

I have everything working. I've got it running smoothly on AT&T BIS, emails, MMS, SMS, text all work properly and the browser is also very fast.
    This makes me very happy!!!
    08-22-08 10:21 AM
    Im assuming since Im with TMo, if I were to activate an unlocked Bold I would have full use of all the features?

Well, except 3G Boooo TMobile!!
    08-22-08 10:24 AM
    So Fredi is your 3G working ok on AT&T???
    08-22-08 10:38 AM
    Just as soon as I can purchase an unlocked Bold here in the UK I plan to do so, and will post back here again then, hopefully in about two weeks time... unless of course you are only interested in US carriers!
    08-22-08 10:54 AM
    Oh no! Im interested in ALL stories!

Report back!

Thanks, Montala!!
    08-22-08 10:57 AM
    All our test samples we receive from Rim are never network locked, I don't really see the point of the networks locking the devices as you are the one that's paying for it.

u're so right... sim locking devices was always a scam. just another way to inconvenience consumers. i mean we have number portability, but they still sim lock handsets.
    08-22-08 12:06 PM
    So MMS really works? Anytime I've had an unlocked phone, the only things I could do is SMS and make phone calls.
    08-22-08 12:20 PM
    So MMS really works? Anytime I've had an unlocked phone, the only things I could do is SMS and make phone calls.
    really? well with non blackberry devices, to get mms to work u may need to enter the settings of the provider u're using it with. but any unlocked blackberry i have used has always worked with mms right away. i cant vouch for the bold.. i haven't gotten one yet
    08-22-08 12:24 PM
    So Fredi is your 3G working ok on AT&T???
    Yes, in places that have 3G. I live in Edgewater, NJ which is 5 miles away from New York City and get 3G but in my apartment where 3G seems to be a bit low, it fluctuates but when I go outside, full 3G coverage.
    08-22-08 01:27 PM
    Well , i have a Unlocked Bold , and it works fine been using it so far and the pin is not locked , btw im using it since 1 month!
    08-22-08 01:39 PM
    Well , i have a Unlocked Bold , and it works fine been using it so far and the pin is not locked , btw im using it since 1 month!
    Thats great!

May I ask what carrier you are currently using it on?
    08-22-08 02:25 PM
    I use a factory device.

Major 3G issues here in the USA on AT&T, everthing else works fine.
    08-22-08 02:41 PM

did u say u have a t mobile branded BOLD???
    08-22-08 02:43 PM
    did u say u have a t mobile branded BOLD???
    T-Mobile sells the Bold in the UK.
    08-22-08 02:59 PM
    got mine from HK using it here in the philippines
    08-22-08 02:59 PM
    T-Mobile sells the Bold in the UK.
    yea, the QWERTZ or something...?

All I know is, theres a difference in the keyboard.
    08-22-08 03:40 PM
    got mine from HK using it here in the philippines
    No problems?
    08-22-08 03:41 PM
    I do prefer to buy the bold from att, then unlock it on tmobile. I will!
    08-22-08 04:24 PM
    Im assuming since Im with TMo, if I were to activate an unlocked Bold I would have full use of all the features?

Well, except 3G Boooo TMobile!!
    Do you really want to do that? When T-Mobile has their 3G network rolled out, that version of the Bold will still not work on the UMTS frequency that T-Mobile uses in the US - (1700).

AT&T UMTS 1900/2100

T-Mobile UMTS 1700/2100

Last edited by Dawg357; 08-22-08 at 04:41 PM.
    08-22-08 04:34 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD