hehe,and you crying??in countries like israel 9700 still costs about 800$ without contract
    08-03-11 03:23 AM
    Most people don't realise, this is a launch price. Once every carrier releases the device, the price is bound to go down with various promotions etc

If you think about it, every high-end spec smartphone is expensive at launch. Carriers test the market and take the price down in stages.

Only down side is that if you want the device outright, you need to wait for a month or so.
    Masahiro likes this.
    08-03-11 04:18 AM
    They think they are "Apple" huh? And like Apple is so fierce? NOT! Their junk is over priced just like anyone elses is, and it's people like you who have made them top off at around 80B in the bank now! There was an article the other day on "just how much does the iPhone 4 really cost?" A break down was done by some company that confirmed prices for all the hardware in the phone (inside and outside) and I believe the total was somewhere around 130 bucks! Yet the retail for the 16GB iPhone 4 is 599! So they are making a good 5 times more of what each phone is worth and pocketing it! I realize there is labor cost as well so ok, knock it down to 4 times...they are robbing people just like all the other "mobile" companies are and you all are falling for it.

Apple is only the company that it is now because of their mobile products, NOT because of their computer sales.

Don't cry now...you guys got them to where they are now.
    And ExxonMobil is the evil corporation. Tech companies have huge margins and only get praise. Laughable. God I sound like a broken record but it is funny.
    08-03-11 07:09 AM
    Rim is putting the last nail in the coffin.

$299 on contract....you can't be serious.......LOL
    LOL. And what do you think the price should be.

Damn I fed a troll.
    08-03-11 07:14 AM
    Price fixing is when different suppliers, retailers, etc that are competitors agree to artfically adjust prices. There is nothing illegal with setting a retail price for a product or MSuggestedRP. Yes, they teach economics here in high school. Do they where you live?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Fixed.

Sure it might be $500 or whatever but the carriers/distributors might get a 50% discount off of MSRP/Retail/List. So it is up to the carriers/distributors to come up with how much profit they want to make.

Of course some carriers might get a different discount. Verizon/AT&T might get the highest discount but Sprint, Tmobile, and other lower volume carriers might be getting a different discount.

**** Verizon corporate stores are getting a different discount then the privately owned stores.
    08-03-11 07:28 AM
    Amazon or wirefly will probably give you a $50 discount from the get go.
    08-03-11 07:48 AM
    It's ironic that just a few days ago the battle cry was " I gotta have this phone Now!"........now that the phones have some preliminary pricing the same people have done a 180 crying "Thief,thief"......like the carriers were not going to charge for a new premium product. Hey you want to be a playa......you gotta pay the price.
    Also......we have no idea what Apple will charge for their new iPhone.
    Stay tuned.
    AceStreaming likes this.
    08-03-11 07:55 AM
    If VZW comes out with the 9930 at $300, then it will be no sale for me.....at least initially. ****, I'll even give up my last NE2 ($30) discount. I'll wait until I see it at $199 or less. I was hoping for $199 (then subtract $30 for NE2). Hopefully it IS truly all marketing BS.....
    08-03-11 07:57 AM
    they are robbing people just like all the other "mobile" companies are and you all are falling for it.
    I don't think he ever said that iPhone's weren't overpriced...I think he was insinuating that Apple can get away with such high pricing whereas RIM can not. Also those "How much does something really cost" studies don't take into account engineering, advertising, import costs, corporate taxation, etc etc and remember that manufacturers don't get the full price for each unit sold...there is retailer markup.

In fact, I would wager that, in the case of Apple, they don't make more than $75/unit. Their big payday is when users buy apps over the lifetime of the device.
    08-03-11 08:14 AM
    As a personal preference I think all phones should be $99.99 but I understand there are business reasons, including greed, that drive the price points higher. Yes I am a little mad that it appears this thing will end up being 299$ on Verizon but it all seems worth it each time I touch my Storm. Release it yesterday Verizon!
    08-03-11 08:24 AM
    Today BestBuy is offering the Nexus S Android phone for free on the major carriers. Makes the $300 9900 price look even sillier.
    08-03-11 08:26 AM
    I don't know how any intelligent human being could decide that something like the 9900 should be priced in the mid-$400's.

Seeing as previous flagship BlackBerrys have been $599 off contract, then add the fact that the 9900 has a touch screen, higher quality materials, components that cost nearly twice as much as, for example, the 624 MHz processor in the 9780...you're nuts if you think the phone is going to be cheaper.

The price won't be for everyone...that's why it's called the flagship, and that's why RIM has announced 5 new handsets, so far.
    08-03-11 08:28 AM
    Based on the off-contract pricing of the other BBs sold by Verizon and the off-contract pricing of other phones on the market. Doesn't really help your argument to attack anyone's intelligence.
    08-03-11 08:35 AM
    Based on the off-contract pricing of the other BBs sold by Verizon and the off-contract pricing of other phones on the market. Doesn't really help your argument to attack anyone's intelligence.
    Well, the new Curve will be announced soon for everyone's mid-cost, mid-range desires.
    08-03-11 08:43 AM
    Apple is only the company that it is now because of their mobile products, NOT because of their computer sales.
    I can't even decipher what this means, what are you trying to say here?
    08-03-11 09:07 AM
    I can't even decipher what this means, what are you trying to say here?
    He is obviously trying to say that Apple became the company it is today because of their phone sales (iPhone) and how much they are marking up their product, not because of their computer sales (mac's)

This could be an argued point, but I kind of disagree because macs are overpriced like **** and they are still selling them in boatloads because of the name brand and quality. When you go with apple though, you lose a sense of freedom.. I mean you cannot even take the damn battery out of any of their products ever.. So stupid.
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 08-03-11 at 09:32 AM.
    08-03-11 09:25 AM
    I'm shocked this phone will be $300 with a two year contract. Especially since it has no shot of running qnx. $600 off contract. Guess ill be parading around with a cardboard cut out version to go with the EVO. Was hoping to replace the 8900 since I sold my 9700. Dam shame!!!

Not worth it. They need to price their devices in the competitive range, not in the "ridiculous price for a phone that's already outdated" range.
    pythons likes this.
    08-03-11 09:53 AM
    that seems really expensive, considering my preoder in the UK is a 2 year deal at �38 a month and a free phone..
    08-03-11 10:21 AM
    I'm disappointed. I certainly wasn't expecting 400, I know RIM likes to overprice their products, I thought around 500, but 599 american? In Canada, the total after taxes frightens me.

RIM thinking they are Apple here.
    Interesting that Apple will release an iPhone 4S with a LOWER price off-contract next month. Expect a slightly modified iPhone 4 (the 4S) with plastic screens front and back selling outright for $350. This is the phone Tim Cook said they will offer for the 'non-rich'.

It's happening, folks. RIM just priced themselves out of the market.

RIM needs to stick to building coffins, apparently they're exceptional at that.
    08-03-11 10:58 AM
    He is obviously trying to say that Apple became the company it is today because of their phone sales (iPhone) and how much they are marking up their product, not because of their computer sales (mac's)

This could be an argued point, but I kind of disagree because macs are overpriced like **** and they are still selling them in boatloads because of the name brand and quality. When you go with apple though, you lose a sense of freedom.. I mean you cannot even take the damn battery out of any of their products ever.. So stupid.
    And yet as you say that, people buy the heck out of Apple products and graphic designers use nothing else. And EVERYTHING interfaces with an iProduct.

So a removable battery makes the product better? Get over it. Not an Apple lover, either, just stating a fact.
    08-03-11 11:00 AM
    Well this is gravely disappointing. I'll be holding out till the price is reasonable. Or until I see one of eBay for a good buy off contract.

08-03-11 11:16 AM
    It is also possible that the carriers is trying to make some money here with the higher contract price of this phone. Maybe not all RIM's fault.
    08-03-11 11:19 AM
    It is also possible that the carriers is trying to make some money here with the higher contract price of this phone. Maybe not all RIM's fault.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Carriers started discounting less,
    We haven't seen contract prices reflect inflation in a good number of years.
    do they make Premium devices sit higher on the curve so they can further discount the lower end devices and still get the consumers into dataplans over feature phones?

Do the Carriers stop discounting below purchase price from the hardware supplier? that could be another change as the market shifts, more and more people are taking smartphones, on contract which could be leading to a greater initial loss of cashflow than in previous years.
    08-03-11 11:27 AM
    Not worth it. They need to price their devices in the competitive range, not in the "ridiculous price for a phone that's already outdated" range.
    How is it outdated? Because it doesn't have a dual core processor? Or are you just repeating what you read on the internets? BTW how is your outdated white iphone 4?
    08-03-11 12:11 PM
    Any blackberry devices that don't run QNX should not be priced higher than 150 on contract and 450 off.
    08-03-11 12:25 PM
283 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD