/facepalm.

The phones are always expensive at launch.. That is how the Carriers make some of their money!

The iphone 4 32gb was expensive at launch and was 250 on a 3 year plan..

Luckly being in charger of BES and all phone contracts i get the latest phone whenever i decide to upgrade someone heheh.. Plus the early upgrade fees are fairly low.

It could be worse.. You could be paying full retail pricing without a contract.
    08-02-11 09:21 PM
    I'm sorry people but that is a heavy price tag. Sprint more than likely will follow suite with it. Some type of miracle if it is less than that. It did kill my excitement for the phone now.
    08-02-11 09:23 PM
    It will drop after a couple weeks. In the meantime the third party vendors will have it around $150 or $100 I would guess.
    08-02-11 09:26 PM
    That would be the Carriers gouging

RIM can only give a Suggested Retail Price and a Lowest Advertised price they can not dictate pricing, it is actually illegal for them to do so.

The Carriers set their 1y, 2y, 3y subsidized prices based on what they think they can sell it for to maximize their return, on some of the CHEAP $100 dollar Androids they do this to get a customer who can not afford a smartphone into a smartphone with a slightly higher per month dataplan, the same was done with the BlackBerry 85XX series often going for $49 on contract with Free BBM and a data add on monthly and slowly customers would need more and the next phone would be the likes of the 9780
    My 9700 cost $50 with a two year contract. At $300 the 9900 will be DOA in the consumer market. That is what a 32GB iPhone costs. The RIM brand can no longer command iPhone prices.

OTOH I am sure senior execs will soon be upgrading to the 9900.
    08-02-11 09:28 PM
    I will be getting it at launch at full price. Gotta have it.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-02-11 09:35 PM
    It will be a bloodbath for RIM if they price their device past that what a person could get an iphone / Droid for....
    ...It has to be a typo - my guess is that it will be $199.00 on contract for two years.

A mail - in - rebate which finally brings the phone down to $300.00 ( after you get the rebate check ) is outlandish....
    ...It would be clinical denial on RIM's part - within the mental illness spectrum.
    ...If it ends up being that price you can take it to the bank RIM is gonna check out.
    scootnyinzer and Nickerz like this.
    08-02-11 09:37 PM
    That's true that's when they'll try to lure everyone in with those so-called sales.
    I doubt that they would have a "sale" on the off-contract price. Hopefully I can get it on Craigslist for $500.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-11 09:41 PM
    I will be getting it at launch at full price. Gotta have it.

as will I. Cash FTW! and for comparison, Torch 9800 is still listed at 624.99 at Rogers. Pre Smart phone era some of us were paying over 1000$ to get the newest european models.
    bdad14 likes this.
    08-02-11 09:44 PM
    I doubt that they would have a "sale" on the off-contract price. Hopefully I can get it on Craigslist for $500.

Yea that is what came to my mind also... Let's hope this one will be adjusted in the coming weeks.
    08-02-11 09:46 PM
    They think they are "Apple" huh? And like Apple is so fierce? NOT! Their junk is over priced just like anyone elses is, and it's people like you who have made them top off at around 80B in the bank now! There was an article the other day on "just how much does the iPhone 4 really cost?" A break down was done by some company that confirmed prices for all the hardware in the phone (inside and outside) and I believe the total was somewhere around 130 bucks! Yet the retail for the 16GB iPhone 4 is 599! So they are making a good 5 times more of what each phone is worth and pocketing it! I realize there is labor cost as well so ok, knock it down to 4 times...they are robbing people just like all the other "mobile" companies are and you all are falling for it.

Apple is only the company that it is now because of their mobile products, NOT because of their computer sales.

Don't cry now...you guys got them to where they are now.
    I know Apple places a premium on their products, difference is Apple can get away with it, RIM simply can't at this point. The iPhone 5 will (likely) be cheaper on contract than this phone (pending any changes), that spells bad news.

All I'm saying is I'm disappointed in the price, I have reason to, nothing too far-fetched. It's really high!
    Nickerz likes this.
    08-02-11 09:46 PM
    My 9700 cost $50 with a two year contract. At $300 the 9900 will be DOA in the consumer market. That is what a 32GB iPhone costs. The RIM brand can no longer command iPhone prices.

OTOH I am sure senior execs will soon be upgrading to the 9900.
    I DO NOT think that $299 is a smart price at all

BUT the Carriers don't think about the longevity of RIM and RIM's share prices they think about their price point, The Torch Launched at $219 on contact with Rogers I believe within 2 months it was $179 on contract, and Still gets $179 nearly 1 year later.
    I really do think that IF this Pricing is true it is T-Mobile looking to get as much as they can while they have the only 9900 device, then once another Carrier launches the device they'll drop it and it will normalize in the $199 range.

RIM has no control here, it is illegal for them to step it and dictate anything on pricing.
    Masahiro likes this.
    08-02-11 09:48 PM
    It will be a bloodbath for RIM if they price their device past that what a person could get an iphone / Droid for....
    ...It has to be a typo - my guess is that it will be $199.00 on contract for two years.

A mail - in - rebate which finally brings the phone down to $300.00 ( after you get the rebate check ) is outlandish....
    ...It would be clinical denial on RIM's part - within the mental illness spectrum.
    ...If it ends up being that price you can take it to the bank RIM is gonna check out.

Honestly do they not teach economics in highschool in the US?

it is illegal for Manufacturers to Fix pricing.

there for you are blaming the wrong people for this pricing!
    08-02-11 09:49 PM

I really don't understand how many times this has to be repeated. RIM has nothing to do with how much T-Mobile charges for their phones. After the carriers buy the phones in bulk from RIM, the rest is up to them.
    08-02-11 09:53 PM
    No offense @ DeRuss but do you know how much stuff is illegal to do when it comes to this business but is "suggested" anyway? You can point out the economics all you want but if someone wants something someway it will get done.
    08-02-11 09:55 PM
    A break down was done by some company that confirmed prices for all the hardware in the phone (inside and outside) and I believe the total was somewhere around 130 bucks! Yet the retail for the 16GB iPhone 4 is 599! So they are making a good 5 times more of what each phone is worth and pocketing it!
    Don't cry now...you guys got them to where they are now.
    The off-contract price isn't what Apple sell it for. Carriers wouldn't sell a product to you knowing that you will likely unlock it and take it to another carrier. Is Apple selling it for a high mark up? Yes. Can they get away with it! Yes. Can RIM? It's questionable.

08-02-11 09:58 PM
    It's funny how everybody loves the latest devices until they figure out that they cost money.

The 9900 is the flagship device, built with premium materials, it will command a higher price to differentiate itself from the Torch devices and Curve devices.

I would imagine the Torch devices would fall in below that to address the mid tier market. While the Curve would target the low tier market.

Quality and exclusivity cost money. for the others get a BlackBerry Curve.
    08-02-11 10:00 PM

Price fizing is when different suppliers, manufactuerers

08-02-11 10:00 PM
    No offense @ DeRuss but do you know how much stuff is illegal to do when it comes to this business but is "suggested" anyway? You can point out the economics all you want but if someone wants something someway it will get done.
    It would still make no sense for RIM to ask T-Mobile to charge an exorbitantly high amount for a phone on a 2-year contract. Very few customers will be willing to buy, and T-Mobile will not make a profit. They would end up just pushing some other device instead. In the end, RIM would only lose in this situation.
    08-02-11 10:01 PM
    This is exactly what I thought would happen. Whether its carrier gouging or RIM setting prices, it makes no difference. RIM needs to lure customers back to BB. These prices will only push them to look at other options.
    08-02-11 10:02 PM

Price fixing is when different suppliers, retailers, etc that are competitors agree to artfically adjust prices. There is nothing illegal with setting a retail price for a product or MRSP. Yes, they teach economics here in high school. Do they where you live?

08-02-11 10:02 PM
    Oh there is lots of illegal things that happen, I am well aware

BUT not from top players in publicly traded company's who are under heavy scrutiny, especially for detrimental purposes!

IF RIM was to do price fixing for their products it would be tied to fixing carrier costs to the device not the device price itself since RIM would need to have leverage to make a pricepoint and have the carriers hold it.

The benefit to RIM would be to force carriers to have the Subsidized rate at a LOW cost to capitalize on market share growth which is something RIM needs to chase, I am sure RIM is recapturing their margins they lost over the last few quarters with these new devices.
    JUSTQUAN2 likes this.
    08-02-11 10:07 PM
    It's funny how everybody loves the latest devices until they figure out that they cost money.

The 9900 is the flagship device, built with premium materials, it will command a higher price to differentiate itself from the Torch devices and Curve devices.

I would imagine the Torch devices would fall in below that to address the mid tier market. While the Curve would target the low tier market.

Quality and exclusivity cost money. for the others get a BlackBerry Curve.
    You are completely missing the point. Apple can sell an iPhone 4 32GB for $300 and no one will complain. OTOH most smartphones (including Android phones) not blessed with the sacred logo can not command more than $200. It's the same in tablets, if you want to sell a lot of tablets either be Apple or be cheaper than Apple.
    08-02-11 10:07 PM
    Price fixing is when different suppliers, retailers, etc that are competitors agree to artfically adjust prices. There is nothing illegal with setting a retail price for a product or MRSP. Yes, they teach economics here in high school. Do they where you live?

You are only permitted to _suggest_ a retail price and set a lowest advertised price, you can not demand a price is sold for X amount as the manufacturer to the distributor. they are free without punitive action to sell at what ever price they like
    08-02-11 10:10 PM
    $199 on contract is the ceiling but all but the most advanced, premium handsets in the US. This device is not that. Sorry maybe in April it would have been, but not August. If it had an OMAP 4 and they could guarantee me an upgrade to QNX when available then I'd say OK, but for an A8, single core setup that's half a year late, no way. I'm hoping that the spelling errors show that this is a just a pathetic joke.
    08-02-11 10:11 PM
    Almost 2 years ago I bought my 8900 for a Christmas sale price of $100/ 2 yr contract, but was offered $75 for my old phone, an 8700g, so I paid $25 out of pocket. My guess is that the phone will come out for $299 after MIR initially, but then there will be holiday sales and trade-up deals.

Pricing the Bold 9900 the same as an iPhone is about as stupid as pricing a Playbook the same as an iPad ---- errr ---- nevermind.
    08-02-11 10:12 PM
283 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD