I just bought a Bold 9930 (Sprint) off of eBay hoping it would work with my Tello plan. I found out Tello doesn't support Blackberry and it seems many other carriers don't either.

Are there any carriers that the 9930 will work with? Are there any tricks that could help?

If all else fails, what is the oldest Blackberry that will still work with some carriers?
    11-29-19 11:27 PM
    Someone can give you a full run-down, but here's what I can tell you. You got a CDMA phone, and in the US, that's only Sprint (which is the branding you apparently got), and Verizon. I don't think Verizon activates CDMA plans anymore.

If it's unlocked off of Sprint, it can be used on a GMS-based carrier, but it needs to have the GSM frequency bands of that carrier. The only GSM bands that the 9930 has is 900/2100. I don't think that works with either US GSM carrier - AT&T and T-Mobile. All the MVOs use one of the main carrier towers so no matter who you use for a smaller carrier, they have to use what's available from any of the big 4 (or 3 if you already think of T-Mobile and Sprint as one company).

Plus, the 9930 is a BBOS phone that requires a BIS data plan, and almost no one will activate a BIS plan anymore. Mostly because many of those carriers are sunsetting 3G over the next few years.

You might have better luck with the 9900, which was the specific GSM variant for AT&T and T-Mobile. I have heard the a member on the forums was able to activate a BBOS phone on AT&T with BIS, but I don't know how valid that still is. AT&T is to the point where it will soon stop activating any regular 3G phone because they only want VoLTE capable phones when they transition to all VoLTE in the next few years. That cuts off all 3G only phones the way all 2G only phones were cut off a couple years ago.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-30-19 12:36 PM
    9930's days are numbered. VZW is no longer activating "new" cdma 3g. It's scheduled for sunset within a couple months, afaik. Coverage performance has gotten "flaky" in some locales. Like this 9930 I'm typing this on, yours is probably ultimately doomed to wifi-alarm clock status, I'm afraid.

My company is migrating to 9900s on ATT. Hoping to enjoy another couple years till ATT sunsets 3G? Working nicely for us except that ATT coverage is non-existent at some remote jobsites. We're using K2LE on VZW for those situations. Fwiw.
    11-30-19 02:12 PM
    Ask Sprint if phone can be activated. If not , try and return it. If not possible, ‘‘tis regifting season.
    11-30-19 02:32 PM
    Thanks for all the replies.

I searched around and it seems like Ting (T-Mobile MVNO) is my best bet. It seems that the 9930 has the 1900 PCS bands that T-Mobile supports on 2G. I'm pretty new to all learning about all this so I hope I've got this right. I got the phone unlocked and ordered a sim card from Ting so I'll find out sometime this week. Thanks again.
    12-01-19 04:12 PM

I searched around and it seems like Ting (T-Mobile MVNO) is my best bet. It seems that the 9930 has the 1900 PCS bands that T-Mobile supports on 2G. I'm pretty new to all learning about all this so I hope I've got this right. I got the phone unlocked and ordered a sim card from Ting so I'll find out sometime this week. Thanks again.
    One caveat, while T-Mobile is still running a 2G network, much of it has been refarmed to other networks (LTE), and is greatly reduced in other areas. So, it's not as easy as thinking "they are still running 2G". You have to find out if it's running where you are, and think you will be as you travel - because it might not be. You may have a signal in one spot, drive a few miles, and lose it. And with only one compatible band, once it's gone, you have a dead phone. Except for wi-fi.
    12-02-19 10:27 AM

At this point, as explained above, this won’t make a good primary device for multiple reasons, firstly due to safety reasons if coverage spotty or nonexistent.
    12-02-19 10:31 AM
    One caveat, while T-Mobile is still running a 2G network, much of it has been refarmed to other networks (LTE), and is greatly reduced in other areas. So, it's not as easy as thinking "they are still running 2G". You have to find out if it's running where you are, and think you will be as you travel - because it might not be. You may have a signal in one spot, drive a few miles, and lose it. And with only one compatible band, once it's gone, you have a dead phone. Except for wi-fi.
    Even if it's still "on"... at this point it's been reduced to such a reduced level that it may only be good for some M2M applications.

But he's already ordered it, so maybe he'll let us know how it goes....
    12-02-19 10:52 AM
    Thanks for the replies. Oh well, I guess I'll find out soon when the card arrives.

Does the Blackberry Q10 work on 3G?
    12-02-19 01:43 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Oh well, I guess I'll find out soon when the card arrives.

Does the Blackberry Q10 work on 3G?
    Yes it's a 3G/LTE phone... just need to pick one that works best with whichever carrier you want to use.. Others have reported that BB10's VoLTE isn't supported, so maybe not Verizon.
    12-02-19 02:15 PM
    Well, great news so far! The phone seems to be working great on Ting's (T-Mobile's) 2G network. I made a few test calls and everything seems good. I'm located in northern California but will be heading to Minnesota for the holidays, excited to see how the coverage holds up. Thanks again for all responses.
    12-04-19 06:46 PM
    Well, great news so far! The phone seems to be working great on Ting's (T-Mobile's) 2G network. I made a few test calls and everything seems good. I'm located in northern California but will be heading to Minnesota for the holidays, excited to see how the coverage holds up. Thanks again for all responses.
    Good luck and keep us posted! If it doesn't work out the Q10 is a great phone. I loved mine dearly.
    12-04-19 09:40 PM
    As others have stated, the BlackBerry 7 device will have a very limited runway in terms of their ability for calls, texts, emails and Internet use.

I am happy you are enjoying your device. If things start to go south with coverage, quality and even the hardware, don't discount a Q10 or a Classic.

The BlackBerry 10 device for calls, texts and emails should have a little more runway in terms of use vs BlackBerry OS. How much longer? I really don't know but with 4G, the calls and texts should hold up for I would say 2-3 years hopefully.

Best of luck!

Posted via CB10
    12-05-19 06:10 PM
    Well, turns out the 9930 is pretty hit or miss. Right at my home the 2G coverage is fine, but even around town I lose coverage a lot.

Thanks for all the recommendations for the Q10, I decided to go with that and ordered one off eBay, looking forward to it!
    12-07-19 02:31 PM