I'm not asking anyone to link me to illegal/piracy/warez.
    I am only asking for INFORMATION about this. You guys know you can jailbreak an iPod Touch or iPhone and get free apps right? Well, is there anything of the sorts for the BB Bold? Unlocking it? Unlocking only allows you too use other providers right? Not like free apps or anything?
    06-24-09 08:36 PM
    I'm not asking anyone to link me to illegal/piracy/warez.
    I am only asking for INFORMATION about this. You guys know you can jailbreak an iPod Touch or iPhone and get free apps right? Well, is there anything of the sorts for the BB Bold? Unlocking it? Unlocking only allows you too use other providers right? Not like free apps or anything?
    Never been a "jailbroken" Blackberry. These devices are so secure it's ridiculous.
    Unlocking it yes, you can use it on other GSM providers as long as the GSM
    frequency is capable for the phone itself. "Jailbreaking" it wouldn't make a
    difference of the types of free apps you can get on it.
    06-24-09 08:39 PM
    Apps can all be installed anyway, nothing blocked by RIM in that regard. Unlocking is easy. What are you trying to accomplish with "jailbreaking"
    06-24-09 08:40 PM
    Apps can all be installed anyway, nothing blocked by RIM in that regard. Unlocking is easy. What are you trying to accomplish with "jailbreaking"
    For the iPhone, Jailbreaking=Free apps.
    I thought you had to pay for the apps too for BlackBerries?
    Idk because I'm getting my Bold next week, and before I start customizing and setting up the settings, I want to know if I can get more out of it than the developers allow.
    06-24-09 08:42 PM
    There are hundreds to thousands of free apps, and hundreds to thousands of paid apps
    06-24-09 08:43 PM
    There are hundreds to thousands of free apps, and hundreds to thousands of paid apps
    But no way to get it for free? Such as again, the option for iPhones, jailbreaking?
    It's all good as long as I don't have to pay with a Credit Card, but rather it appearing on my Rogers bill at the end of the month.
    06-24-09 08:47 PM
    Get what for free...
    06-24-09 08:53 PM
    There are some apps that you can get through your carrier, most are charged through CC or Paypal. Anything other than paying for the apps would be illegally obtaining them
    06-24-09 08:53 PM
    illegally obtaining them
    That's what I'm really asking. Is that possible?
    I'm not saying I would do it, but I would just like to know.
    06-24-09 08:56 PM
    Most app designers make you register it, so No. And even if there was a way, I would not divulge it, and would suggest you try to not steal things.
    06-24-09 08:58 PM
    Most app designers make you register it, so No. And even if there was a way, I would not divulge it, and would suggest you try to not steal things.
    All right. Thanks to any who contributed.
    06-24-09 09:09 PM
    People jailbreak the iphone/ipods because the only authorized app distribution center is the App Store. Apple picks and chooses what it will allow in the store. The jailbreak used to provide extra functionality (copy/paste, video recording, and some other stuff. I'm not sure what else, I never did it) that wasn't supported on the OS level before. Although now with 3.0 on the 3GS, I'm not sure what else the jailbreak community offers, since most of the downfalls have been addressed, though thats neither here nor there.

No need to "jailbreak" a BlackBerry. You can buy apps from stores like Mobihand, Crackberry, Handango, and from developers themselves, and now there is App World. I'm not a developer, but based on the apps I've seen, it seems they have pretty decent access to all the APIs, because some of the apps are quite robust and offer great added functionality.

hope that helps and makes sense.
    06-24-09 09:09 PM
    Jail breaking only provided things that apple wouldn't allow on the phone or didn't have on the phone prior to 3.0. Before 3.0 I had on my Iphone a video recorder, a voice recorder, Tethering, a flashlight, MMS and themes/customization for my phone. Till this day you still cant have themes, MMS or tethering on your iphone.

Blackberry has all that available so it no need for jailbreaktion <--- yes I made that word up
    06-24-09 10:54 PM
    But no way to get it for free? Such as again, the option for iPhones, jailbreaking?
    It's all good as long as I don't have to pay with a Credit Card, but rather it appearing on my Rogers bill at the end of the month.
    even after you jailbreak your iphone you still have to pay for apps. unless you illegally download cracked applications. this is the same for the bold in the sense that if you manage to find cracked apps you will be able to install it but you won't need a jalbreak to accomplish that.
    06-24-09 11:05 PM
    lol, jailbreak. I can't I believe I read this thread looking for something useful like, updating the BB RAM or something...and the thread is made into a lame thread about jailbreaking cheap applications worth $1-$6 at the most (some are outrageously expensive $10-$50, but hacks/cracks are around, and I am not condoning it!). But in any case, I agree with everyone else.
    06-24-09 11:16 PM
    LOL I though 'jailbreak' would mean unlock and debrand the Bold device to the point that it is not aligned to any carrier with Engineering Screen permanently active and VendorID changed to 1 instead of the regular vendor I'd.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 11:45 PM
    I came from an iPhone and to be honest no apps on the BB are really worth it even if it was free. BB is a business phone, only app I bought was Beejive and that was worth it.

If you want apps go to iPhone if you want messaging go to BB.
    06-25-09 01:17 AM
    I think Instango stomps on BeeJive, and it's free. So far, I've bought BerryWeather and donated $10 for BBFileScout because I appreciate it so much. So $17.50 on apps since I bought the phone. Not too shabby. I may buy Gokivo at some point because I love it, and QuickLaunch does look interesting... but otherwise everything I like using is 100% free already.

I've made minor OS tweaks, freed myself of the annoying limitations AT&T tries to impose on the phone, etc., so I don't know what you' be looking to gain by "jailbreaking" a BlackBerry. Unlike the iPhone, you can download and install whatever compatible software you can get your hands on, without doing any such thing as jailbreaking.

Debranding is sort of a similar idea I guess, but for a different set of annoyances.
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 06-25-09 at 02:06 AM.
    06-25-09 02:04 AM
    lol, jailbreak. I can't I believe I read this thread looking for something useful like, updating the BB RAM or something...and the thread is made into a lame thread about jailbreaking cheap applications worth $1-$6 at the most (some are outrageously expensive $10-$50, but hacks/cracks are around, and I am not condoning it!). But in any case, I agree with everyone else.
    LOL exactly. if people need to ask then maybe they shouldn't own a BB
    06-25-09 02:31 AM
    That's what I'm really asking. Is that possible?
    I'm not saying I would do it, but I would just like to know.
    your asking if its possible for a reason, i don't know exactly why. stealing apps that should be paid for is like stealing music off of the internet, pay people for their sweat and time they put into the apps
    06-25-09 03:51 AM
    I don't know what everyone else is talking about, but you can "jailbreak" and get all your apps for free.

You just can't do it on a BlackBerry.

But it's all good because you need to own an iPhone anyway, BBs aren't for you.

And for the record, exploiting technical loop holes to steal applications IS STEALING! The definition of stealing is taking something that doesn't belong to you. I don't know how the "shining light" of civilization we call the USA has come to a place where stealing is common place as if it was no big deal. For thousands of years, in almost every civilization, the punishment of theft was to have your hand/s cut off.

But if you're comfortable with grabbing everything you can get your hands on and never mind whoever you hurt, then go for it.

06-25-09 08:20 AM
    So you guys are telling me you buy all the music on your iPod or BB?
    You buy it right? did you guys pay the $30,000 it costs to fill up your iPod with music using itunes? And its a fact that it would cost around $30,000.
    06-25-09 08:30 AM
    your asking if its possible for a reason, i don't know exactly why. stealing apps that should be paid for is like stealing music off of the internet, pay people for their sweat and time they put into the apps
    I download mp3s, movies and software off the internet and it doesn't bother me. I don't lose sleep over it.

06-25-09 08:39 AM
    I don't know what everyone else is talking about, but you can "jailbreak" and get all your apps for free.

You just can't do it on a BlackBerry.

But it's all good because you need to own an iPhone anyway, BBs aren't for you.

And for the record, exploiting technical loop holes to steal applications IS STEALING! The definition of stealing is taking something that doesn't belong to you. I don't know how the "shining light" of civilization we call the USA has come to a place where stealing is common place as if it was no big deal. For thousands of years, in almost every civilization, the punishment of theft was to have your hand/s cut off.

But if you're comfortable with grabbing everything you can get your hands on and never mind whoever you hurt, then go for it.

No one claimed it wasn't stealing? Who cares stealing is ok? People are all selfish! We already won the war against music. I guarantee no one here pays for MP3s so I guess by this we are all thieves!
    06-25-09 09:24 AM
    No one claimed it wasn't stealing? Who cares stealing is ok? People are all selfish! We already won the war against music. I guarantee no one here pays for MP3s so I guess by this we are all thieves!
    Exactly my point. Everyone getting off at me, assuming I only want to know to get free apps, when they do the same, except for music. So I'm done. I know all I need to know. Not from the comments from this thread though.
    06-25-09 09:48 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD