hey is there any MAJOR difference between the bold 9000 and the 9700? and if so what are they? i just bought the 9000 but might wanna upgrade to the 9700 i like staying updated with my phones. (im all new to bb's just incase this question sounds stupid)
    08-19-09 07:02 PM
    The two mayor differences are
    a)form factor (Onyx is smaller)
    b) Camera (bold 2mp-Onyx 3.2)
    08-19-09 08:41 PM
    Sorry it got cut out
    c) Memory (bold 128 � Onyx 256)

I also have the bold and think that my next upgrade may be to the odin or the next Bold
    08-19-09 08:45 PM
    d) trackpad. gunk gets stuck underneath the trackball and i believe rim instructed the carriers to not provide support for that anymore (100% not sure tho)
    08-19-09 08:54 PM
    I have had my Pearl for 2 years in December and have never had a problem with my trackball.

Are they not made the same way anymore? My friend just got the Tour and has already had it replaced because the ball was messed up.
    08-19-09 10:46 PM
    ive had my pearl for over 2.75 years, and gunk gets trapped behind the ball. many other ppl have had this problem. maybe my jeans are too linty, but it is a known problem with trackballs.
    08-19-09 10:56 PM
    No MAJOR differences... Only marginal upgrades much like the curve 8900 and Tour have.

In fact, the only thing the Onyx has over the Tour and Curve 8900 is the trackpad and the inclusion of BOTH 3G and WiFi. The other devices only include one of the two.

Onyx vs. Bold is that Onyx has the higher res tour screen but is physically smaller than the Bold. It has a trackpad. Has double the Bold's app memory, has the 3.2 MP camera and not the 2.0 mp of the Bold.

The processor is newer (Marvell Tavor) but it's been clocked at the same 624 mhz I think.
    08-20-09 01:14 AM
    Huge size difference...holding them side by side its identical to Bold and Javelin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 01:20 AM
    The Bold is released.

That is the major difference.
    08-20-09 04:54 AM
    Although I'm usually hot on the latest and greatest new phone...I am having a hard time getting all excited over the 9700 release, simply because aside from the improved camera (ok...that's a needed improvement), and some more app memory, I don't see anything radically different than my Bold...which is rocking along just fine.

I'm not too thrilled that the 9700 will be the same size as the Tour or 8900. I agree that the Bold could be a tad slimmer...but not to that degree. The keys are tighter together on the 9700, and I am concerned that will make typing more difficult. I rather like the larger real estate that the Bold keypad allows.

The trackpad is interesting...but I have had several BlackBerry devices with the trackball, and have never ever had any issue with the trackball collecting gunk underneath like some complain about. Of course, I don't keep my BB in my pocket where it can pick up that junk anyway...

I dunno...I just think there is way too much hype being generated around this new BlackBerry, and I don't see it ever living up to all the excitement.

Unless it proves to be head and shoulders above the 9000...I think I'll be sticking with my Bold until RIM decides to do some real radical improvements.
    08-20-09 05:23 AM
    Although I'm usually hot on the latest and greatest new phone...I am having a hard time getting all excited over the 9700 release, simply because aside from the improved camera (ok...that's a needed improvement), and some more app memory, I don't see anything radically different than my Bold...which is rocking along just fine.

I'm not too thrilled that the 9700 will be the same size as the Tour or 8900. I agree that the Bold could be a tad slimmer...but not to that degree. The keys are tighter together on the 9700, and I am concerned that will make typing more difficult. I rather like the larger real estate that the Bold keypad allows.

The trackpad is interesting...but I have had several BlackBerry devices with the trackball, and have never ever had any issue with the trackball collecting gunk underneath like some complain about. Of course, I don't keep my BB in my pocket where it can pick up that junk anyway...

I dunno...I just think there is way too much hype being generated around this new BlackBerry, and I don't see it ever living up to all the excitement.

Unless it proves to be head and shoulders above the 9000...I think I'll be sticking with my Bold until RIM decides to do some real radical improvements.
    The problem for me is, it's hard to get excited for an upcoming phone that has features that the past 3 phones have had. It has virtually nothing over the Tour or Curve 8900 except the trackpad, and the fact that it has both 3G and WiFi in one device. But the keyboard is the same, the form factor is identical to the curve 8900, screen is same, memory is same, camera is same.

Like it is not anything game-changing. Don't get me wrong, it will sell like hot cakes and will become the "flagship" device, but it's nothing incredible. It's kind of like how the 3G S is compared to the 3G.

I'm hearing rumours from some buddies in Ontario about the devices that are announced. One is possibly a powerhouse that follows the Bold's form factor. Not to mention if the specs are correct, will make the Onyx seem pitiful.
    08-20-09 05:29 AM
    ^I dont know what is soooo amazing about a touchscreen.
    08-20-09 06:22 AM
    ^I dont know what is soooo amazing about a touchscreen.
    Answer: nothing
    08-20-09 07:09 AM
    uma, 3.2 megapixel camera, sharper resolution. The uma is only if you're tmobile. If you're ATT then I think you mean the 9020
    08-20-09 07:43 AM
    i guess if you already have the 9000, economical wise, you would be better to skip 9700 and go for the next one up.
    08-20-09 08:30 AM
    Unless you have to have the latest and the greatest then there is no option but to get the 9700
    08-20-09 02:17 PM
    i have a bold 9000 and have been looking at spec for 9700 itz aight but not light yrs ahead of the bold 9000. 9700 has better mp camera and more app memory and better screen res. but no big improvement i am curious about the trackpad though i still might get it cuz i like having the latest and greatest but depends on price. i love my 9000 though and i would have to c the 9700 up close to get a feel for it.
    08-20-09 02:25 PM
    Well, I have the bold but do not like the internet browsing experience. If Onyx is better I will upgrade. Although iphone is better at browsing, I want to stick to bberry.
    08-20-09 03:18 PM
    I would stick with the Bold just because it has the air of exclusivity. It has the silver bezel around it, all leather back, and the slightly larger size which is not common to any other BB. The onyx will look different from the Sprint and Verizon BB tour only because of its trackpad.
    Bottom line: The Bold wouldn't be mistaken for any other BB device while I feel the Onyx might be mistaken for the tour or the Sprint version of it.
    08-20-09 04:03 PM
    I would stick with the Bold just because it has the air of exclusivity. It has the silver bezel around it, all leather back, and the slightly larger size which is not common to any other BB. The onyx will look different from the Sprint and Verizon BB tour only because of its trackpad.
    Bottom line: The Bold wouldn't be mistaken for any other BB device while I feel the Onyx might be mistaken for the tour or the Sprint version of it.
    very well said
    08-20-09 04:10 PM
    Do u know when 9700 will be released?I want to buy a phone this fall(thinking about october)...If it'll be released this time around i'll buy the onyx,otherwhise i'll go for the 9000
    08-20-09 04:23 PM
    i guess if you already have the 9000, economical wise, you would be better to skip 9700 and go for the next one up.
    yeaa i think i agree with you i mean i dont need more memory space on my bold i dont need a better cam cuz i never take pics and all the memory i need is in my 8g micro sd card so i think ima skip the 9700 unless i find a real good deal for it in the streets (i bought my bold 9000 brand new off the streets for $80.00 bucks of a custy lol) hey i cant let dat deal go by
    08-20-09 07:23 PM
    Well, I have the bold but do not like the internet browsing experience. If Onyx is better I will upgrade. Although iphone is better at browsing, I want to stick to bberry.
    yeaa the browsing experience sucks real bad on the bold. they need to upgrade big times on that dept. i wish blackberry could go on HTML sites just how the iphone does without no problems. (correct me if im wrong on this)
    08-20-09 07:30 PM
    yess your right on this, the blackberry bold cought my attention quick because of the size. i dont like the other blackberrys only cuz i have big hands nd the keys on the keyboard are very tight together, i think rim needs to remake the bold all over again a bit thinner but same size with an upgraded OS. i would change the trackball to the trackpod but i dont have any experience using it.
    08-20-09 07:36 PM
    I don't see how internet browsing will be any better on Onyx than on Bold. Yes it will have the same screen resolution as the Tour and Curve 8900 but the screen is physically smaller than the Bold.

I haven't seen any difference in browsing on the Curve 8900 screen or the Bold's. The only difference I bet will be due to the fact Onyx runs on the higher OS which has improved browsing. Once OS 5.0 releases for the Bold it will be the same.

I'm waiting for what has not yet been announced. I've been hearing tons about what will possibly be announced for 2010 and beyond. Specifically, a new Bold-sized powerhouse.
    08-20-09 08:22 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD