First off, I am a VZW customer, but I hate how they 'gimp' our devices. Two examples? Touch Pro 80MB less than everyone else and BB Tour (yet to be released). The Bold has 1GB internal memory and WiFi, the Tour is rumored to have only 256MB and NO WiFi.

One of my 3 lines is at contract end, so its no big deal to switch. I am just wondering what you guys/gals think.
    06-23-09 10:41 PM
    It all depends on whether or not you're going to use 3G. If you are, Bold, if not, Curve. Be sure to test out AT&Ts service in your area too.
    06-23-09 10:52 PM
    Go for it dude, that's a bargain. Have u seen how much a new bold is on ebay? And as far as network goes I have tmo and an unlocked bold. I sold my 8900 because the screen was extremely small. Don't get me wrong I loved my 8900 but then I played with my friends bold and the keys were easier to type on, plus the bold is more sleep. U don't want to have to deal with the bezels fake chrome comming off of the 8900 either, it looks like crap after. Also the bold doesn't have the same top the 8900 does meaning less scratches. My bold is still in mint while my 8900 the top was extremely scratched up because of the curved top. However my bold is flat and has a simple form factor.I do miss the awsome camera on the 8900
    Hope this helps out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 11:05 PM
    i got one.
    06-23-09 11:28 PM
    Keep in mind you can't put apps on the 1 gig internal memory. The tour has more memory for apps than the bold by double I believe.

06-23-09 11:29 PM
    Keep in mind you can't put apps on the 1 gig internal memory. The tour has more memory for apps than the bold by double I believe.

But no Wi fi.
    06-23-09 11:44 PM

Seriously? is this even an issue with ayone else? have u guys seen how cheap micro sd cards are lately... lol, sorry but is there a point or difference when it comes to putting an app on the internal memory or sd card?
    06-23-09 11:58 PM
    But no Wi fi.
    I agree, no wifi just doesnt cut it. The storm did not live up to all the hype, and the tour with lack of wifi is just a setup for failure imho. 3g isnt in all areas so without wifi your pretty much screwed, the tour is basically the 8900 but with a step down cause lack of wifi correct?
    06-24-09 12:00 AM
    Seriously? is this even an issue with ayone else? have u guys seen how cheap micro sd cards are lately... lol, sorry but is there a point or difference when it comes to putting an app on the internal memory or sd card?
    applications are alotted space in "application memory" which is only a fraction of the 1GB. for the bold, apps are alotted 128MB, which is obviously less than the 256MB offered on both the tour, and the curve8900.
    06-24-09 12:46 AM
    Bold for 49.00? Grab it and run.

The Bold is a great the device, its not the newest device, but fer sure not the oldest, and it manages to have a brilliant feature set all at once, Its a nice mix between 3G/EDGE/WiFi, plus the keyboard (which I believe the Tour will also be sporting on launch.)

I've had the 8900, It was actually the device I bought before I traded it for my this Bold, and I've actually loved the device enough to "fix it up" via buying a new bezel, along with plans for a new trackball and keyboard, I'll probably end up buying another one at full retail (RRP330 / 500.00USD depending on where I get it.) and then retire this to a "backup" as I did with an 8100 Pearl when I had my 8900.

So for 49.00? I would totally suggest the Bold.
    Last edited by xDAKx; 06-24-09 at 12:56 AM.
    06-24-09 12:47 AM
    Bold for 49.00? Grab it and run.

The Bold is a great the device, its not the newest device, but fer sure not the oldest, and it manages to have a brilliant feature set all at once, Its a nice mix between 3G/EDGE/WiFi, plus the keyboard (which I believe the Tour will also be sporting on launch.)

I've had the 8900, It was actually the device I bought before I traded it for my this Bold, and I've actually loved the device enough to "fix it up" via buying a new bezel, along with plans for a new trackball and keyboard, I'll probably end up buying another one at full retail (RRP330 / 500.00USD depending on where I get it.) and then retire this to a "backup" as I did with an 8100 Pearl when I had my 8900.

So for 49.00? I would totally suggest the Bold.
    My point exactally!
    06-24-09 02:13 AM
    What are u waiting for?
    That's a real bargain!

06-24-09 02:56 AM
    I almost don't know why everyone doesn't buy their Bold from Amazon? Isn't att still selling the Bold for a couple hundred?? I was going to go the amazon route, but wouldn't you know it they sold out the week I wanted to purchase it. I ended up buying for a 100 more at Best Buy. lol...
    How has everyone's experiences been on buying from Amazon. Amazon is such a great website. I know their customer service to quick and helpful. However all phone reviews are from 2006 and 2007 when they must have been just getting into the cell phone business, and it was the same time AT&T was switching to cinuglar.
    Last edited by berrygood909; 06-25-09 at 12:25 PM.
    06-24-09 05:59 PM
    If the user can't access the 1GB, what's it there for?

The Tour will have 256MB as oppossed to the Bold's 128MB, but no 1GB internal. It will ship with a 2GB card (suppossedly). It will also have a slightly better screen resolution(480X320 Bold, 480X360 Tour), but will it be noticeably better? Who knows?

Why my hesitation? I have had VZW for 10 years and AT&T is an unknown to me. One of my 3 lines is at contract end, so I can drop that line. My company has agreements with both carriers:19% off VZW and 15% off AT&T.

Believe it or not, I was (am) toying with the idea of an iPhone 3GS.
    06-24-09 06:09 PM
    To each his own I guess...but ur right when u say "toying" cuz the iphone is a toy.

06-24-09 08:01 PM
    applications are alotted space in "application memory" which is only a fraction of the 1GB. for the bold, apps are alotted 128MB, which is obviously less than the 256MB offered on both the tour, and the curve8900.
    So should I wait for the Tour? More memory, but no wifi?
    06-24-09 08:06 PM
    So should I wait for the Tour? More memory, but no wifi?
    Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath for the Tour, I'm not sure it'll be everything its being hyped up to be.

I would run with the Bold, Its a great device. The Tour at this point is an unknown. We don't know much of anything about it. We have a few people (including Kevin I believe.) whom have a Tour in their hands.

But we still don't know much about them. The Bold also comes with the advantage of being GSM out of the box, meaning it can be used across the world, The Tour will be a world phone I believe, meaning it will have a GSM slot.

I think what I'm trying to say is, Make your own decision. Do you want a device which is still brilliant, with a smashing feature set, or do you want to wait for the unknown? Everyone up here is wayyy over-hyping the memory issue personally.
    06-24-09 08:14 PM
    Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath for the Tour, I'm not sure it'll be everything its being hyped up to be.

I would run with the Bold, Its a great device. The Tour at this point is an unknown. We don't know much of anything about it. We have a few people (including Kevin I believe.) whom have a Tour in their hands.

But we still don't know much about them. The Bold also comes with the advantage of being GSM out of the box, meaning it can be used across the world, The Tour will be a world phone I believe, meaning it will have a GSM slot.

I think what I'm trying to say is, Make your own decision. Do you want a device which is still brilliant, with a smashing feature set, or do you want to wait for the unknown? Everyone up here is wayyy over-hyping the memory issue personally.
    The specs aren't really unknown since they are posted on Blackberry, but thanks for your input. I guess the real deal is: what kind of grief will I get from the wife? But come on its only $50!
    06-24-09 08:18 PM
    The specs aren't really unknown since they are posted on Blackberry, but thanks for your input. I guess the real deal is: what kind of grief will I get from the wife? But come on its only $50!
    *smackshead* I'm sorry. I was still about 2 weeks in the past (a.k.a half awake.) when I posted that.

I think at 50.00, you could sneak by without getting your...
    'bum' kicked too much.

My girlfriend thinks I'm ridiculous for spending 550.00 on a Curve 8900, and then trading it to get the Bold I have now. But that's a different story.
    06-24-09 08:39 PM
    Everybody flips out when I tell them that I got this 8320 curve for $20 but your deal beats mine hands down. I would say get it, but definately check AT&T's service where you live and travel
    06-24-09 08:57 PM
    Wirefly has the Bold for $30...
    Only if you choose the $59.99 plan. I don't need 900 minutes.
    06-25-09 06:20 AM
    Man.. the 8900 has 256MB for application memory? frig. I would love that. I'm constantly down to ~10MB free, and that's because I keep having to delete apps. I get a lot of emails in the 50-150KB range, and also emails with 1+MB attachments (but still less than the 3MB limit that Roger's imposes). So that chews up so much space as it is!

I'd gladly give up 1GB of internal RAM and use a 16GB MicroSD card instead just to have double the application memory... *sigh*

(EDIT: Although not having 3G would suck.. it'd take much longer to download those attachments! Not that 3G via Rogers is very fast anyways.. but any slower would definitely suck. )
    06-25-09 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD