Amazon.com: Cell Phones - blackberry bold phone / Amazon.com: Cell Phones & Service

Is there a difference between buying the bold through amazon or going to att? $50 can get me a 8 gig card, a car charger, oem case, and invis shield on amazon.
    11-21-08 12:10 AM
    You have to maintain the same rate plan for 6 months, or else they charge you $250.
    11-21-08 01:16 AM
    Is there a difference between buying the bold through amazon or going to att? $50 can get me a 8 gig card, a car charger, oem case, and invis shield on amazon.[/QUOTE]

It's actually $150 since you do get a $100 dollar rebate with the purchase and i think it makes quite a difference. And as papped has pointed out, you will have to stick with the same rate for 6 months without penalty. For me it's not going to be a problem since i am expecting to pay about $80 from my switch from T-mobile to AT&T anyways. Another thing that i've heard from talking to an AT&T CS is that if you buy at any places other than AT&T, you won't be able to switch phones within 30 days which i am not sure how accurate this info is. But as far as i know, you can still return the Bold on Amazon within 30 days for refunds but not sure if AT&T will do the same with all those activation fees and whatnot. But you should definitely double-check on the return policy with Amazon before pulling the trigger and perhaps update me as well. Hope this help as I've placed my order on Amazon on the 18th and still waiting for my Bold to come.
    11-21-08 01:31 AM
    I am an existing customer so for me, its $250. I have also heard about the 30 day policy, but not that many ATT reps know how this deal. With quite amount of "bad" Bold stories all over the forums, paying some extra money to ensure the refund is worth it.
    11-21-08 11:04 AM
    I generally recommend the AT&T online store still.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/took-plunge-98222/

$399 - $100 instant rebates = $299 even without the MIR. If you stack the live.com cashback it's $225 (and no 6 month probation period).

But if you don't want to deal with the extremely slow turn around for the live.com cashback and won't have any issues maintaining the rate plan, Amazon is a good choice.
    11-21-08 12:30 PM
    I was about to make a thread about this. I called Amazon and they verified you need to keep the same level of service (price-wise) for 6 months. You have 30 days to return the phone to amazon and cancel service with AT&T without penalty.

Also, it's worth noting that it's $249 with a $100 rebate. Unfortunately the rebate is a $100 AT&T card good at AT&T. I'd use it to pay my bill, but it's worth mentioning that it's not cash.

Has anyone ever done this through Amazon? I'm really worried that if I did this, AT&T may deny my $100 rebate, or something sinister like that. :P I guess $249 for a Bold is still a deal.
    11-21-08 01:06 PM
    I know people on this board have ordered from Amazon. I would imagine someone would have complained if the AT&T MIR were getting denied.
    11-21-08 01:15 PM
    Unfortunately the rebate is a $100 AT&T card good at AT&T. I'd use it to pay my bill, but it's worth mentioning that it's not cash.
    It's not redeemable for cash, true. But if you read the fine print you'll see:

Funds are available at US locations where VISA is accepted for 120 days after the AT&T Promotion Card issuance

It looks to me like you can use it anywhere VISA is accepted, except ATM's.
    11-21-08 01:32 PM
    11-28-08 09:32 AM
    I should have clicked this link before posting that last one.

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Bold 9000 Smartphone, Black (AT&T): Cell Phones & Service

Conditional $250 Discount
    The purchase price listed above reflects a $250 instant discount based on your agreement to maintain service with the selected carrier. Please note that if you deactivate this device, cancel your line of service, or reduce the value of your service plan within 181 days of the activation of your service, you will be subject to a charge of up to $250, plus tax. Read more details here. Third-party resellers are prohibited from purchasing cell phones or data cards/modems on behalf of customers. **Purchase limit of five (5) devices per household.**

So, if you order the phone and don't like it and want to return it to Amazon, you will obviously have to deactivate the device which is one of the three conditions for them charging you $250 + Tax. What a hassle.
    11-28-08 09:39 AM
    FWIW and it may be a bit OT as I didn't purchase thru amazon but I did purchase thru Wirefly with the etrade discount. Got my bold for 199.99 with a 100 mir. Same stipulations as amazon but a bit cheaper.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD