05-11-13 12:15 PM
34 12
tools
    Its a pretty decent phone.....just the battery is bothering me....
    01-22-12 11:41 AM
    Same here.
    I will probably stick to my IP4S in the end.
    Initially thought that 9790 was so pocketable, toss-around, use/abuse email reader (it is) but I found myself struggling with the physical keyboard. 9900 was OK obviously. I'm using the 9790 almost as an email reader (and occasional composer). IP4S is better for anything else.
    I am so used to the IP's keyboard, which is so smooth and fast, and I am beginning to find perhaps I should stick with my IP4S.

I still value keyboard shortcuts and one-hand operation etc, but coming to think of it, they are not anything critical, not worth having 2 different devices.
    I'll see how it'll go :-).
    I have an IP4s and it's better built and the software is more accomplished but two key things drive me back to BB with all the patchy build quality (1) the compelling blinking light! and (2) real time updates for the likes of Twitter and FB - man I hate opening Twitter on my iPhone and realising that it's not updated since yesterday - and I'm on the train with a patchy signal. Grrrrr.
    01-31-12 09:59 AM
    Despite build quality, I think it was a successful device.
    I agree. The big downer on this phone is the wobbly trackpad (on my device anyway, but I started a thread in this forum about this and others appear to agree), but it just feels GREAT in the hands, looks beautiful, I find the screen resolution and fonts to be superior to the 9780 (I love the 9780 as well, btw), and battery life is way better than the 9900, for me. And of course the main reason we buy BlackBerrys, other than email, is the superior call quality, and this device is not lacking there either.

I just wish the trackpad weren't so flimsy. Feels like if you turned the phone over it would fall off.
    01-31-12 01:42 PM
    How exactly is the trackpad tilted? Horizontally...so that water will flow to one side if the phone were to lie on its back?

or Vertically...so that its sides are not parallel with the sides of the phone?

Am I just lucky or is the tilt so very slight that newbies wont able to notice it easily?
    Mine is wobbly, it feels like if you turned it over face-down the trackpad would simply fall out. It's not secure and "tight" like the 9900 or other trackpad devices, and it appears to be the only one. I started a thread on this issue in this forum as well.
    01-31-12 01:44 PM
    Yeah I like mine - had the 9700 and the 9780 - generally the build is better than both - it all fits together better - no loose trim and gaps. And yeah the trackpad is a bit pants - mine wobbles and clicks intermittently but hey, I'll get used to it I'm sure. Works perfectly well. Touch screen is awesome!
    01-31-12 01:46 PM
    i really love the phone it's easy for me to use; just the right size and the keys are easy to press. my only problem now is that i actually chipped off the lock button and so i've had to download a seperate app
    02-06-12 04:45 AM
    Pretty much the same opinion you got there...but not all right. I live in Indonesia too and my Bold 9790 is also a Taiwan Unit. Here are my opinions :

- My unit is having an issue in battery life, but I pretty much accepted my fate. It holds the records of 9 minute 27 seconds (my record) of dropping the battery from 100% to 20%. Even in 2G, it struggles to go through a full day of usage (I've never been able to go through a full 24 hours of usage even in 2G).
    - Screen resolution is ok, and the touchscreen also works well. Even with large-ish hands, I have no trouble in navigating through the os. It might be you needing some re-adjustment or your unit has some issue with the touchscreen (My unit also has some issue with the touchscreen not working sometimes, but fixed it after an os update ).
    - About the tilted trackpad, I got mine perfectly fitted there, although it's defective, which can makes using the device in bright sunlight rather disturbing. I go to the warranty service and got it replaced. Turns out it doesn't fit perfectly like you said. So it might be intended to prevent the defectiveness from taking effect.
    - The top lock button isn't too hard to press, but also not too easy to press either. Although, after excessive usage of locking and unlocking and several months of device usage, it cracks and becomes more easy to press. Might be some cheap plastic that RIM use. It doesn't disturb me that it cracks, but definitely will make other customers annoyed.
    - The keyboard is better than the 9780. It definitely is easier to press and although still the same in size, is definitely more comfortable to type on and is noticeably more responsive. It might be your own opinion.
    - The back cover of the battery door won't come off on its own. My unit's battery door is easy to remove, but it won't slide on its own.
    05-11-13 04:13 AM
    Hey, I loved the 9790. Cool device, back in the day.
    05-11-13 04:39 AM
    I'm not disappointed. In fact, I've got an HTC One that I'm going to deactivate to go back to my 9790. It just suits me and what I use the device for much better. The HTC one is a fantastic device, but I can't type worth **** on it. The apps I use most are the phone, bbm, text message and a little browsing. When I'm not working, i like to shoot photos with my T4i or catch a flick on my 37" TV home theatre. I got 5.1 surround sound on that... beats the hell out of beats audio.

I love my 9790. The HTC One is worth a whole lot more to me as cash than it is as a communication device.
    05-11-13 12:15 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD