MAYBE the browser is a bit faster - but I say maybe because I'm mostly on wifi anyway and it's always superfast. I really cannot be sure.

MAYBE more free memory - but maybe just from the battery pull.... I never pull my battery because my phone never freezes and because I'm not always trying to bump up the memory. On .162 I had anywhere from 32-40 M of free memory with no resets, now I have about 48 M. If that stays steady, then I could say there is a memory improvement.

The function of the phone feels identical.

AND I still get the little clock when I am composing/editing long emails, which I find annoying. That is something I would like to see fixed.

Happy to be in the land of .216 - no problems at all - but no improvements in actual functioning.

If the memory stays up, then I could definitely say "improved memory." Time will tell on that.

I am interested if anyone else has seen a definite positive change in the functioning of the phone.....
    01-11-09 10:38 AM
    I, too, am interested in the reponses to this thread. Same feeling as the OP, only I am running .185.
    01-11-09 10:53 AM
    My phone came loaded with .167, but I imagine .162 may have been "close."

A few weeks ago I upgraded from .167 directly to .210. I noticed a couple of "bugs" which really annoyed me were resolved:
    1) When replying to an SMS text message, in .167 I had to scroll down past white space to see the original text message. Now the white space is gone and the message is visible (just like it always was on my curve).
    2) After taking a photo, selecting to Send As Email would ALWAYS open email preset to send from the first email address (not the default, the first one alphabetically). Typically emails should open up to send from the default or the last email address you used to send email to that recipient. This now works correctly.
    3) Wi-Fi connects faster and the browser responds faster.

I'm running .219 now and so far, no complaints.
    01-11-09 11:03 AM
    Give it a few days
    It takes a new os a few days to get up and running

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-09 11:09 AM
    Give it a few days
    It takes a new os a few days to get up and running

But what is it you saw/you think I may see in a few days?
    01-11-09 11:13 AM
    My phone came loaded with .167, but I imagine .162 may have been "close."

A few weeks ago I upgraded from .167 directly to .210. I noticed a couple of "bugs" which really annoyed me were resolved:
    1) When replying to an SMS text message, in .167 I had to scroll down past white space to see the original text message. Now the white space is gone and the message is visible (just like it always was on my curve).
    2) After taking a photo, selecting to Send As Email would ALWAYS open email preset to send from the first email address (not the default, the first one alphabetically). Typically emails should open up to send from the default or the last email address you used to send email to that recipient. This now works correctly.
    3) Wi-Fi connects faster and the browser responds faster.

I'm running .219 now and so far, no complaints.
    I didn't have problems #1 & #2 on .162..... and as I stated, I'm not sure about #3 - my wifi doesn't connect faster and if the browser is better, it's so slight I'm not really noticing.
    01-11-09 11:15 AM
    I upgraded 2 Bolds from .167 to .217 and now back to .216.

With .167 voice recognition was unusable for voice dialing using a bluetooth headset. .217 fixed the recognition but then there was an issue with bluetooth that switched the phone back to the handset after dialing. .216 fixed all of that.

On one of the phones, .167 would constantly swap between edge and 3g and the signal strength was always lower than the other phone sitting side by side. .217 fixed that, but on the downgrade to .216 this phone white screened, it also showed keypad and battery issues so Iswapped it out before the 30 days was up. The new phone is working fine on .216.

Battery life appears to be the most notable improvement.
    01-11-09 01:03 PM
    I notice stronger 3g signal I a lot of areas and my browser is faster. I also maintain between 40
    and 45mb's free where I rarely had more than 15 with nothing running on .167.

01-11-09 01:10 PM
    KareBare, I was hoping the upgrade would fix the email issue. But since it didn't, I don't see a reason for me to upgrade just yet. I do get low memory, but I just do a battery pull every now and then. Other than that, I have no
    3G issues (touches wood), RF is excellent, web browsing is fast on 3G, and no slow downs. Thanks for the update!
    01-11-09 01:57 PM
    KareBare, I was hoping the upgrade would fix the email issue. But since it didn't, I don't see a reason for me to upgrade just yet. I do get low memory, but I just do a battery pull every now and then. Other than that, I have no
    3G issues (touches wood), RF is excellent, web browsing is fast on 3G, and no slow downs. Thanks for the update!
    Yah I think the 3G coverage in our area is very good - I needed no improvement there. And as said, wifi already rapidfire on .162, battery life good, memory good.

Like I said, so far it looks like the memory might be better, but I'll have to wait a bit to be sure.
    01-11-09 03:57 PM
    Yah I think the 3G coverage in our area is very good - I needed no improvement there. And as said, wifi already rapidfire on .162, battery life good, memory good.

Like I said, so far it looks like the memory might be better, but I'll have to wait a bit to be sure.

Yeah test it out for the rest of the week and let us know if you notice any other improvements. You know the saying, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". I haven't had any 3G or RF issues with my Bold. I'm just afraid if I upgrade, it will mess it up or something.
    01-11-09 04:20 PM
    Yeah test it out for the rest of the week and let us know if you notice any other improvements. You know the saying, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". I haven't had any 3G or RF issues with my Bold. I'm just afraid if I upgrade, it will mess it up or something.
    I think .216 is pretty solid and you won't mess up your phone, it's just whether you'll really notice much difference.
    01-11-09 04:31 PM
    I think .216 is pretty solid and you won't mess up your phone, it's just whether you'll really notice much difference.

I think I will notice a difference in the memory. Not sure if I would in other areas. Perhaps abit faster in browsing.
    01-11-09 05:48 PM
    I'm still on .162 and see no reason to upgrade yet, as the OS is rock solid. Plus as it's still the official O2 OS, I see no reason to upgrade just yet

01-11-09 05:49 PM
    for me, a couple of os that i installed seem buggy and laggy.
    browsers seem normal and the memory is just so-so at best
    but i do notice improvement in memory management and battery life a few days down the road.

that's for me at least
    01-11-09 10:20 PM
    I upgraded to .216 from .190 and noticed less memory drain. My browser is also MUCH faster. I haven't test my wifi yet but I'll be doing that soon.

I upgraded to try and fix a problem I'm having. My phone's boot up is extremely slow. If I do a battery pull it can take up to 10 minutes for the phone to come back on. Unfortunately, it didn't fix that problem.
    01-11-09 11:57 PM
    hey chief, just to put it to the acid test
    i upgraded to .216

monitoring and will post back
    01-12-09 02:12 AM
    Hi KareBare

Could you just tell me whether your kepad backlight stays on all the time the screen is illuminated, and even in broad daylight? I ask because I am trying to find a way for this to happen (BBLight does not do it - screen yes, but not keys) but on a different thread people are saying that on OS 216 the keypad does stay on whenever the screen is illuminated and irrespctive of lighting conditions. Thanks
    01-12-09 05:15 AM
    Hey London - my keypad light stays on whenever my screen is lit, but it also did on .162 too. I have no memory of the screen ever being on and the keypad not on.

Doesn't everyone's keypad always stay on when the screen is lit? Is it just you, London, or is there a world of unlit keypads out there? I use this thing in dark rooms, dim rooms, and I always see the keypad bright and clear.
    01-12-09 07:54 PM
    Has anyone determined if there is an improvement in EDGE performance?

For one upgrade I went to .190 and have had no problems. Like, frequent windows upgrades, unless you have a serious problems I do not 'thunk' it is necessary to upgrade every time the new kid comes out.

I am waiting for Bold OS .300 which will have touch screen
    (or, was it 'son-of-bold" with touch screen)?
    01-12-09 09:54 PM
    live search doesnt work for me.....
    01-12-09 10:20 PM
    .216 browser pages load much faster for me, app memory is more stable, battery life is better, etc.

definitely a big improvement over the .1xx builds (imo)
    01-12-09 10:56 PM
    Hey London - my keypad light stays on whenever my screen is lit, but it also did on .162 too. I have no memory of the screen ever being on and the keypad not on.

Doesn't everyone's keypad always stay on when the screen is lit? Is it just you, London, or is there a world of unlit keypads out there? I use this thing in dark rooms, dim rooms, and I always see the keypad bright and clear.
    Okay, this isn't quite true. This morning I noticed that in bright light, the screen is on and the keypad is not. I'm sure this is the case for everyone, but I only just noticed. Sorry for the bad info. But in low-light conditions, my keypad is always lit.
    01-13-09 06:21 AM
    .216 browser pages load much faster for me, app memory is more stable, battery life is better, etc.

definitely a big improvement over the .1xx builds (imo)
    Think I am ready to say that the browser is a bit faster and that my memory improved in availability and stability - used to sit anywhere between 32-40 MB and now sits at around 45 MB without too much motion up or down.

I have noticed no change in battery life.

Will continue to monitor and post any changes or findings.
    01-13-09 06:26 AM
    Only difference I noticed was memory jumped to over 40 free, from 25-30 free under .162
    Also, it doesn't seem to drop like it did under .162 - each day it would drop until I'd reboot for some reason or other and it would go back up. Been over 40 for several days since moving to .216

01-13-09 07:35 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD