I dd a search and didn't find a answer....what is the advantage of an unlocked Bold over an
    an locked Bold ? Any help appreciated..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 12:43 AM
    A unlocked bold can be used on any GSM carrier. A locked Bold can be used only on that specific carrier that its locked to.
    07-20-09 12:50 AM
    so .. if you're going to travel for a long time

you can buy a sim from there and use it at low cost (the country cost) instead of using your country's sim overseas
    07-20-09 02:50 AM
    I was wondering about the same thing...hmm...I already knew that though, what ELSE are the advantages of having an unlocked bold as oppose to a locked one ?
    07-20-09 03:47 AM
    Nothing else... It's just an "unlocked" phone.

Having it unlocked means you can go to any other country and get a cheap sim to use locally and then come home and put your own carrier's sim back in.

For example, I was in India for a while and rather than pay an extraordinary amount of roaming fees or data or international fees, I just got a 2-month sim card from "Spice" I believe in India for like 1000 rupees = 20 bucks. It was way cheaper than what I would have paid had I taken my carrier sim and plan.

That's the only difference. The phone doesn't change at all. Your probably thinking about an "unbranded" phone.
    07-20-09 03:52 AM
    The only problem, and correct me if I am wrong

you cannot have one PIN registered on two different networks. So your phone will work, however you will get no data..
    07-20-09 09:10 AM
    Thanks all...I thought maybe something EXTRA came as a result of it being unlocked..
    07-20-09 11:51 AM
    Resale value.
    07-20-09 12:45 PM
    Thanks all...I thought maybe something EXTRA came as a result of it being unlocked..
    You don't get any extra features or anything like that, so unless you plan on traveling abroad or switching carriers, there's really no point in unlocking a phone.
    07-20-09 01:13 PM
    Yes an unlocked phone is like comparing boxers and panties. Locked is like wearing panties very tight and unlocked is like boxers both do the same job but one gives you more room and flexibilty when needed!

07-20-09 01:15 PM
    Yes an unlocked phone is like comparing boxers and panties. Locked is like wearing panties very tight and unlocked is like boxers both do the same job but one gives you more room and flexibilty when needed!

Lol, never heard of that comparison before :P Good one.
    07-20-09 01:22 PM
    I dd a search and didn't find a answer....what is the advantage of an unlocked Bold over an
    an locked Bold ? Any help appreciated..

3 advantages

1) Being able to use a different carriers sim
    2) Saving on roaming costs while traveling
    3) Makes your phone worth more when trying to sell

07-20-09 02:48 PM
    3 advantages

1) Being able to use a different carriers sim
    2) Saving on roaming costs while traveling
    3) Makes your phone worth more when trying to sell

COOL..
    07-20-09 05:41 PM

O Damn....
    07-20-09 05:43 PM
    I was wondering about the same thing...hmm...I already knew that though, what ELSE are the advantages of having an unlocked bold as oppose to a locked one ?
    It does your nails for you. What would you like an unlocked Bold to do? It's not magic, it simply does what was stated. Use another carrier or use it overseas more economically. That's all she wrote.
    07-20-09 08:30 PM
    unlcoked def has an advantage over locked phones.
    07-20-09 08:31 PM

you cannot have one PIN registered on two different networks. So your phone will work, however you will get no data..
    Can someone cnfirm that this is true? Any way around that? I will be out of the country for an extended period too. I just assumed it would work!

07-20-09 10:16 PM
    unlocked always wins
    07-20-09 10:28 PM

Yeah I'm curious about this too - is this true?
    07-20-09 11:11 PM
    Yeah I'm curious about this too - is this true?
    Yes it's true... But it's quite simple to work around. You can request your carrier to release the pin. They may refuse to do it though.

There is a workaround... takes like 5 minutes and you can have your pin released so you can register with another carrier.
    07-21-09 06:24 AM
    I think i have officially heard it all.
    07-21-09 06:30 AM
    Yes it's true... But it's quite simple to work around. You can request your carrier to release the pin. They may refuse to do it though.

There is a workaround... takes like 5 minutes and you can have your pin released so you can register with another carrier.
    Hmm so if I chose not to bother with releasing my PIN for a month (when I go abroad), anything with data will be unusable to me right? What exactly uses date (I've always been spoiled with unlimited data ) I know AIM probably uses Data instead of texts..and I know I probably wouldn't get e-mails right? No web browsing or anything, correct? Hm, what else..?

Basically, if I go and use my International SIM Cards from GOSIM� - cheap mobile calls from abroad prepaid-sim card, and don't release my pin, I can still make and receive calls to and from the US via the prepaid-sim's rate and all, and also send and receive texts, correct? If that's all I use my phone for, as practically a regular phone, I'd be fine with my PIN locked, right?

Sorry, just want to make sure I get all of this correct. I don't want any surprises come early December when I go.
    07-21-09 12:05 PM
    I'm pretty sure that when you unlock your phone, and the PIN is still active, you can use another sim card on it overseas. I haven't had the need to do it with my blackberry yet so I don't know.

I did hear about carriers not allowing already registered phones to be used for other carriers until you called them or etc...

Based on my prior unlocked phones, the only things I could not access with an international sim while abroad were proprietary carrier icons such as Rogers Mall, or ATT shop or something.

Anyone here have an unlocked Bold or something want to clarify whether or not you can use browser with a different SIM?

I'm almost certain that calls and texts require nothing more than putting in a sim that has cash on it.
    07-22-09 09:03 AM
    Unlocked means Freedom
    07-22-09 09:28 AM
    I'm pretty sure that when you unlock your phone, and the PIN is still active, you can use another sim card on it overseas. I haven't had the need to do it with my blackberry yet so I don't know.

I did hear about carriers not allowing already registered phones to be used for other carriers until you called them or etc...

Based on my prior unlocked phones, the only things I could not access with an international sim while abroad were proprietary carrier icons such as Rogers Mall, or ATT shop or something.

Anyone here have an unlocked Bold or something want to clarify whether or not you can use browser with a different SIM?

I'm almost certain that calls and texts require nothing more than putting in a sim that has cash on it.
    Thanks for your information/input.
    I guess I'll find all this out in more detail when I leave in early December. :P
    Then I'll be able to answer all of these questions for us! haha.
    07-22-09 11:11 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD