AT&T is having a refurbished 9900 for 1 cents. I am thinking of open a line, then cancel it and pay the early termination fee. Does it worth it?
    03-22-12 01:48 PM
    I'm not sure what the termination fee is, but without more information, I can't condone doing so.

Are you looking at getting this phone for a penny, paying $400 in cancellation fees and then unlocking the phone to use on a different carrier?

JB
    03-22-12 01:51 PM
    Refurtbished is probably better than used, right? What's the etf, $200 or $250? Sounds pretty good. What network would you use it on?
    03-22-12 01:53 PM
    Early termination fee is $325. I am still in contract with att, but I cracked my bold 9700. Need a new phone, but don't want to buy used. Refurbished phone from att has warranty.
    03-22-12 01:55 PM
    Refurbished phones are second hand phones and are therefore not as good as the original phones. The carriers do the best the can to make the phones "like new", and although they do a fairly good job, they aren't the same as brand new phones. Besides, with the early termination fee, you'll end up paying as much as you would for it full retail anyway. I would recommend just buying a new 9900 outright.
    03-22-12 01:55 PM
    AT&T is having a refurbished 9900 for 1 cents. I am thinking of open a line, then cancel it and pay the early termination fee. Does it worth it?
    No. Their cancellation fee is $325 less $10 for every month of completed service and you still have to return the device. Unless of course you get the protection plan and file a claim for a lost/stolen phone (fraud and i in no way support you doing this)
    Early Termination Fee Policy

Service Cancellation & Early Termination Fee & Equipment Fee
    Call the number on your invoice/receipt to cancel your service. You may cancel service within 30 days from the activation date to avoid the applicable early termination fee (the "Early Termination Fee" or "ETF"). If your Service Commitment includes the purchase of certain specified Equipment on or after June 1, 2010, the Early Termination Fee will be $325 minus $10 for each full month of your Service Commitment that you complete. (For a complete list of the specified Equipment, check https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=mKd8dwg0). Otherwise, your Early Termination Fee will be $150 minus $4 for each full month of your Service Commitment that you complete. You will be responsible for all applicable usage fees, prorated access charges, taxes, surcharges or other charges through the termination date. AT&T will refund your activation fee, if any, if service is terminated within 3 days of activation.

You may have to return any handsets and accessories purchased with the service before your account will be cancelled. If you are allowed to cancel service within the 30 day return period, but do not return the equipment within the return period, AT&T may charge you an amount equal to or up to the no commitment price of the equipment. (Equipment Fee). If you cancel service on tablets purchased with a service commitment between day 15 and day 30, (or between day 1 and day 14 and fail to return the Equipment) you will owe an Equipment Fee up to the difference between the no-commitment price of the tablet and the price you paid for the tablet.
    Last edited by shupor; 03-22-12 at 02:05 PM.
    03-22-12 01:58 PM
    $400 is reasonable.
    03-22-12 02:01 PM
    What's the etf on the 9700? Best Buy has the 9900 for $149.99 NEW with a new 2-year AT&T contract.

Best Buy 9900 on AT&T
    03-22-12 02:04 PM
    $400 is reasonable.
    I just edited my post. The ETF only applies to you cancelling the actual contract. You will have to return the device or pay a separate equipment fee (see text in Bold)
    03-22-12 02:10 PM
    Yes, I am thinking of cancelling the contract on the 31st day. Only pay the sevice for another day (prorated)
    03-22-12 02:29 PM
    Would the termination fee on your existing account be cheaper?

Another more direct approach is to call AT&T, explain that your phone is broken and that you would like a new 9900 on the conditions of signing a new contract. Tell them there are great deals out there and if you need to replace your phone it may be cheaper to pay out your existing contract and get a free 9900 elsewhere.

I don't know how it works with AT&T, but you usually need to choose the cancel my account option when calling and then you will be connected with a customer service rep that can do a deal with you rather than loose you as a customer.
    03-22-12 03:24 PM
    The bulk of the business for these telcos don't originate from new customers anymore, because every Tom, & Harry has a mobile phone now. It's more about retaining existing customers. So, I second robsteve's suggestion. Speak to their "Retentions Team", who's usually got greater flexibility in cutting a sweet deal to entice you to stay with them.

Although, to my knowledge, they only try to retain customers who are done with their contracts and are thinking of leaving the company... Not so much customers who intend on breaking legally binding contracts lol. I suspect you could attempt to negotiate a new phone for a cheap price at the very minimum, as an alternative to contract cancellation, albeit a refurbished piece at best.
    03-22-12 06:18 PM
    Well, s/he's actually honoring the contract if s/he pays the etf.
    03-22-12 06:53 PM
    Wow, got tons of exceellent advices. Never thought of cancelling my existing line. Yes, that's a lot cheaper.
    I will order a new line, then terminate my existing line :-)

Thanks all.
    03-22-12 07:05 PM
    Wow, got tons of exceellent advices. Never thought of cancelling my existing line. Yes, that's a lot cheaper.I will order a new line, then terminate my existing line :-)Thanks all.
    Well with Rogers, you would be able to upgrade for free depending on the phone you have and the phone you want. It sounds like you are near the end of your contract, so there may not be a etf if you resign for another 2-3 years. You also get to keep your phone number. So this may be the cheaper route or even free. And you get a new phone not a refurb.
    03-22-12 09:20 PM
    In Canada, while there's no ETF anymore (or at least a very marginal ETF) - you will be billed back the full retail price (at the time of purchase) for the phone, should you cancel before the contract is up.
    03-22-12 10:22 PM
    Rogers still has an ETF, which is $20 per incomplete month up to a max of $400. Not sure about the other carriers.

JB
    03-23-12 06:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD