Hi, MTS Manitoba, Canada claims to its customers that it can/will now activate a Blackberry device from a different carrier providing the device is unlocked. I purchased a Bold Touch 9930 (Verizon) from eBay from the US which has a clean ESN and is unlocked. I purchased the 9930 specifically because it supports CDMA as I live in Northern Manitoba and only CDMA is available in some communities.

I took it in to an MTS dealer for CDMA activation. They opened the back, saw the empty SIM slot, and stated that the device could only be activated on their HSPA network because of the fact that it has a SIM card slot. I showed them the device's printed spec sheet to show that it does in fact support CDMA activation. They said they absolutely COULD NOT activate it on CDMA because it is an HSPA device, again due to the SIM slot.

I left the store without activating and thought maybe if I called MTS sales/activations directly they could help. After explaining again why I specifically purchased the 9930 the salesperson stated the device could only be activated on HSPA due to the fact that it has a SIM card slot. So, I chose not to activate for the time being.

My questions:

Why would MTS advertise to its customers that it can activate BB devices from different carriers when in fact it can not? They should be more specific as to limitations, terms, etc.

Am I missing something as to why they won't activate the 9930 on CDMA? Are there technical limitations on the Blackberry? Technical limitations on MTS's side?

I'm not going to give up just yet, but at least if I'm able to receive some clear information from Crackberry Forums instead of "...I don't...think...so...." answers I've been receiving so far, then it will help me understand better if I need to resell it.

Thank you very much in advance. I look forward to hearing some feedback from the experts and maybe even some of the tech. experts from MTS if they are on CB forums.

:-)
    05-26-13 09:58 PM
    Hi, MTS Manitoba, Canada claims to its customers that it can/will now activate a Blackberry device from a different carrier providing the device is unlocked. I purchased a Bold Touch 9930 (Verizon) from eBay from the US which has a clean ESN and is unlocked. I purchased the 9930 specifically because it supports CDMA as I live in Northern Manitoba and only CDMA is available in some communities.

I took it in to an MTS dealer for CDMA activation. They opened the back, saw the empty SIM slot, and stated that the device could only be activated on their HSPA network because of the fact that it has a SIM card slot. I showed them the device's printed spec sheet to show that it does in fact support CDMA activation. They said they absolutely COULD NOT activate it on CDMA because it is an HSPA device, again due to the SIM slot.

I left the store without activating and thought maybe if I called MTS sales/activations directly they could help. After explaining again why I specifically purchased the 9930 the salesperson stated the device could only be activated on HSPA due to the fact that it has a SIM card slot. So, I chose not to activate for the time being.

My questions:

Why would MTS advertise to its customers that it can activate BB devices from different carriers when in fact it can not? They should be more specific as to limitations, terms, etc.

Am I missing something as to why they won't activate the 9930 on CDMA? Are there technical limitations on the Blackberry? Technical limitations on MTS's side?

I'm not going to give up just yet, but at least if I'm able to receive some clear information from Crackberry Forums instead of "...I don't...think...so...." answers I've been receiving so far, then it will help me understand better if I need to resell it.

Thank you very much in advance. I look forward to hearing some feedback from the experts and maybe even some of the tech. experts from MTS if they are on CB forums.

:-)
    Ok, the carrier claims to activate CDMA devices from other carriers. Apparently, they don't seem to get that the 9930 is a World phone, with primary bands being CDMA, secondary bands being GSM. Now, CDMA phones do not 'unlock' they can be flashed to another carrier, or they can be entered into their system as is, if they manually enter the MEID information. GSM phones unlock, and if my recall is correct, they were sold originally as unlocked for GSM. At the moment, they sound as if they don't have a clue what they are advertising for.
    05-27-13 01:35 AM
    Ok, the carrier claims to activate CDMA devices from other carriers. Apparently, they don't seem to get that the 9930 is a World phone, with primary bands being CDMA, secondary bands being GSM. Now, CDMA phones do not 'unlock' they can be flashed to another carrier, or they can be entered into their system as is, if they manually enter the MEID information. GSM phones unlock, and if my recall is correct, they were sold originally as unlocked for GSM. At the moment, they sound as if they don't have a clue what they are advertising for.
    Another factor, does this carrier support BlackBerrys? If they do not activate on a BIS plan, the only data you can access will be on WiFi, and you will miss much functionality of the phone.
    05-27-13 01:38 AM