My bold is auto deleting text messages (probably emails and call history too, but i'm less concerned about that).

I understand that this is due to a problem with what the phone refers to as "application memory" which by what i've read while searching these forums seems to be the ram in the phone.

If the phone automatically deletes these things to free up what I understand to be ram, This begs the question: why on earth would deleting hard data help a low ram issue? That would be like my PC deleting my hard drive data to free up ram.

is "application memory" virtual memory? even if that were the case it would make no sense to delete hard data to free it up.

If I'm misunderstanding the problem, can someone please explain it to me, and possibly explain how to make my phone keep all my messages? I do not like the idea of having to monitor the ram every time I open an application to ensure that none of the data that should be hard saved in the first place gets purged.

note: I do have it set to keep them "forever".
    08-13-09 03:57 AM
    alot of people dont properly close applications. make sure you are going into the menu and closing them or using the "back" button. hitting the red "end call" button doesnt do it, it just suspends it. these apps could be draining you unnecessarily in the background. also, try a fresh reboot everyday. most people do, just to start fresh. in all reality, do you *really* need to keep every little message? i delete all of mine, except a few important emails, everyday.
    08-13-09 05:12 AM
    that's a good take on things pauliac. the only reason i could see is if it actually starts using the "hard drive" data as memory data when it gets really low.

dictoresno--some ppl do need all their messages and emails. in my business i often have to reference emails from a month or 2 back. even 6 months back some times. that's what blackberries are for! to have access to everything anywhere you are.
    08-13-09 10:09 AM
    You shouldn't leave apps running- always press menu, close when done.

Which OS are you running? if it's the stock AT&T, that could be the issue, it sucks.

A more recent OS like 282, 247, and 266 are much better at memory management.

install an app called quickpull- it's for reseting the device which will re-up your memory

(or simply press alt+shift+del) to reset.
    08-13-09 10:22 AM
    thanks for the input guys, I think I will update to the newer OS, I do have stock AT&T software.

I'm aware of the memory management tricks, however my issue is with the way the software manages its own memory, It should not be deleting my data when application memory is low. Why should I have to reboot my phone every day? that's a sign of poorly written software.

I will update my OS and tell you how it goes and if it manages my memory in a more intelligent way. If anyone else has any insight, let me know.
    08-13-09 02:27 PM
    thanks for the input guys, I think I will update to the newer OS, I do have stock AT&T software.

I'm aware of the memory management tricks, however my issue is with the way the software manages its own memory, It should not be deleting my data when application memory is low. Why should I have to reboot my phone every day? that's a sign of poorly written software.

I will update my OS and tell you how it goes and if it manages my memory in a more intelligent way. If anyone else has any insight, let me know.
    First: Go to your inbox -> Options -> General Options -> Keep Messages <- You can set this to keep messages forever if you like. I keep mine at the lowest setting, 15 days, because I have yet to need to look at something older than that.

Next, if your BB is deleting messages due to low memory, you can find out by checking what your "Application Memory, Free Space" is at either with a ALT+Left Shift+H or Options -> Memory. If you're down below 15MB you're probably nearing the danger zone and things may start getting deleted, if they haven't been already.

Personally, my personal record uptime is 67 days (without a reboot) and my memory at that point was at 19MB...enough to be ok, though low. This should make it clear that it's certainly not necessary to reboot your phone every day in order to maintain memory unless you have an excessive amount of apps installed.
    08-13-09 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD