Everyone thought that the Onyx was the top dog curve. Turns out it's really an upgraded Bold. Makes sense to me.

What doesn't make sense is the lesser curve having the optical trackpad while the 8900 doesn't. O well.
    06-19-09 12:21 AM
    I was under the impression that the general belief was that the onyx (9020) was an upgraded Bold?

And RIM - Had also stated that the "TrackPad" was a cheaper input method on the 8520, and that it would not be a permanent thing. Hence, the 8520 being a cheaper model BlackBerry.
    06-19-09 12:24 AM
    What I always read and heard was that the Onyx was in the curve lineup, or so we all thought.

As far as the trackpad goes, yes it is cheaper, it is cheaper to assemble I am sure and has no moving parts that can wear away like the trackball, which saves on repairs and replacement costs. Cheaper yes but not cheaper that it should be kept on the lower end models in the lineup. That's my opinion.
    06-19-09 12:30 AM
    I'm sure Blackberry is leaving the trackball instead of the trackpad in their premier phone for no reason other than to upset you. We're all aware how superior the optical trackpad is since we've all obviously spent countless hours using it and now are stuck with this barbaric trackball. RIM's just a bunch of bullies, I guess.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 02:14 AM
    what i always thought was that this was a new phone born out of the fires of the bold and curve
    06-19-09 10:30 AM
    Initial thoughts were that it would be. 96xx. Basically figured on the fact that the Tour was a 9630. But since it is the new flagship device, 9020 makes some sense.

06-20-09 05:27 PM
    what i always thought was that this was a new phone born out of the fires of the bold and curve
    Yeah, that's what the tour is .. a big bang up of the bold and the javelin. i guess gsm+gsm=cdma

And i personally like the trackball, good feedback with it and hey .... its so much better to use then the trackpad in brickbreaker
    06-20-09 05:34 PM
    Seems like a hybrid-best-of 2 BB breeds to me. But that's just my assessment based off all the threads on the similarities to both Curve and Bold. IMO we are entering into a new world of BBs to come.
    06-20-09 05:43 PM
    onyx n tour looks the same to me
    im just talking about appearances lol
    06-21-09 12:25 AM
    Fronts look very similar. The Backs are entirely different! I prefer the Onyx. I don't like the slim battery door on the Tour.

06-21-09 12:55 AM
    I thought the Onyx was getting the optical trackpad?
    06-21-09 02:27 PM
    It is now. But pics we've seen haven't shown it to my knowledge. I should have clarified that I was talking about pics I've seen

06-21-09 02:30 PM
    def see my self upgrading to the onyx from the bold. dont know about the optical trackpad though. doesnt look like a blackberry...
    06-21-09 02:37 PM
    def see my self upgrading to the onyx from the bold. dont know about the optical trackpad though. doesnt look like a blackberry...
    well it could just be some kind of evolution.
    It could be good as well.
    06-21-09 02:57 PM
    Neither did the trackball when we were use to the trackwheel from the older models.
    06-21-09 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD