Hi,

I'm planning on joining Verizon and getting the BB 9930. I saw that it has a sim card in it. I travel to Asia a lot and was wondering if the BB 9930 will work with the local sim cards there (voice and data)? That is assuming Verizon unlocks the phone for me when I travel.

Anyone have any experience traveling and using local sim cards with this phone?
    02-26-12 01:05 AM
    i will suggest to buy a GSM phone..
    unlock it...
    and use local sim in asia... even global GSM roaming is good..
    OS7 supports feature..where your previous mails won't be lost... if you change SIM card.
    roaming to asia on GSM is reliable as compared to CDMA...world phones.
    lot of issues with local indian, HK and japanese carriers...
    02-26-12 01:15 AM
    Yes the 9930 will work perfectly with the local sims, I've used it in both the Philippines. And Thailand. Just make sure it also can support BlackBerry services such as BBM if you plan on using it when not connected to a wifi network. If not then a regular sim is good. You may also have to change your network settings if it doesn't connect automatically. I know Verizon will unlock your phone for free if you've been in contract for at least 6 months. I don't know there policy for new customers.
    Last edited by blazeon420; 02-26-12 at 02:01 AM.
    02-26-12 01:58 AM
    I travel extensively and there are few local sims that will support data use... suggest that you focus on wifi for data and local sim for talk & text.
    02-26-12 10:46 AM
    Thanks everyone!

I was just planning to use it locally for calls and text. Just wanted to make sure it will work with other carriers. Time to get the 9930 =)
    02-26-12 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD