You can use the app "Youmail" from Appworld and it's free
    I've been trying to beat this dead horse for as long as I could.Anyone complaining about no visual voicemail can just use Youmail. It's awesome and and does what it's supposed to do.
    09-01-11 04:07 PM
    When I go to the respective websites, I get the opposite: Sprint $199 and Vz $249. Can you point me to where I could get Vz for $199?

A number of commenters who use sprint have commented yet not one has responded to my question about visual voice mail. curious.
    I signed up for sprint on letstalk.com Check out there prices. Let me know if you want a $25 discount coupon they have given me for referral. Right now they have em for 139.99 on both verizon and sprint. Free shipping and no tax. With $25 off you will be at $114.99. Can't go wrong. I get mine tuesday cause of labor day. Can't wait
    [email protected] likes this.
    09-04-11 04:11 AM
    Been with Sprint for over 10 years and I have less problems than any of my friends/family who have Verizon, At&t and T-mobile.

Sprint has unlimited data.. enough said. My father has verizon and EVERYONE in our entire family complains about his call quality, there's always an echo and time delay during our calls.

I recently have been issued the Ipad 2 from my employer with Verizon 3G service, sales rep, and I have more Data issues with that than I do with my BB in any given area. I am not too impressed with Verizon's 3G and this is usually in the Metro Detroit area, so there should be a healthy amount of coverage available for the Ipad 3G service. Quite disappointing imho.

Sprint customer service is fair enough. I have always had any issues resolved with them, especially if you call and ask for the retention department. ; )

But again, unlimited data and free roaming calls is what keeps me on board.

Best of luck.
    09-04-11 07:18 AM
    I signed up for sprint on letstalk.com Check out there prices. Let me know if you want a $25 discount coupon they have given me for referral. Right now they have em for 139.99 on both verizon and sprint. Free shipping and no tax. With $25 off you will be at $114.99. Can't go wrong. I get mine tuesday cause of labor day. Can't wait
    Me too! Haha I kept checking letsTalk on a daily basis until they finally dropped. Ordered yesterday via tele sales. We should make a thread for those interested in the discount.

via Nexus S 4G
    09-04-11 07:27 AM
    I use Verizon and have for years and by far the service is superior in all ways

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    So are their prices. Unless you're in some tiny hill billy town in the middle of no where then you have nothing to worry about. I have been with Sprint for about 5 years and have no complaints. I had Verizon prior and honestly see no difference coverage wise between the two.

R-
    09-04-11 07:50 AM
    One thing that shouldn't affect your decision is Sprint having unlimited data for $30/month. Even though verizon has a tiered system now (which I avoided thanks to the grandfathering), the data compression on a Blackberry is such that, even on my heaviest month with high browser usage, downloading many apps and songs/videos, and tethering, I only reached 964MB of data, less than half of verizon's current 2GB/$30 plan.

TL;DR ignore the data plans, they are essentially the same.

Verizon has always had vastly superior coverage where I live (New York suburbs) and go to school (Notre Dame, Indiana) so I highly doubt I'll be jumping off the Big Red ship any time soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-11 08:17 AM
    Many many years with sprint and coverage generally not an issue save in some spots in our beech house. Use t-mo for work bb and uma is a wonderful thing esp when in poor coverage or abroad for free calling back to the USA they say uma will be added to 9900 when rim adds the code. Financially both sprint and t-mo are weak but likely to survive due to antitrust consideration.
    09-04-11 08:44 AM
    I habve been with Sprint for two years. No issues here. I love their price and they don't nickle and dime you like others. GPS is a big feature I use and it is included. The lack of data and voice at the same time only comes rarely, mainly when the GPS is going. Service is very good in my area. Southern NJ. Customer service has been very good for me. Can't beat the price for me with 4 lines. The included wireless to wirelss is great. With 4 lines with rarley go over 400 minutes. Good luck!

09-04-11 09:16 AM
    IDK about the visual voice mail... I currently use the Bold 9650 (haven't gone through with upgrade yet) so not sure on that. I plan on going to the store tomorrow as opposed to online ordering and will upgrade then for instant gratification - after I will let you know what they say. I don't use it now, so I won't miss it anyway, but I'll ask for you I will also let you know for sure that my plan price does not increase. The 9930 is not listed as a 4G device and the online order didn't add the premium pricing.
    As a "Premier Gold" Sprint Customer (10 yrs+) I will tell you that ANY Smartphone activated after Jan of 2011 (except the Samsung "Reclaim) incurs the $10 "premium data" charge. I upgraded from the 3G 9630 to the 3G 9930 in store on 8/21 and while nothing was discussed, mentioned or disclosed, written or verbally,about the data surcharge, in store, it showed up on my online account profile that evening. I had a discussion with business services and escalation about the lack of disclosure and while certain concessions were made, the charge is not going away.
    More to the point of this post though, Sprint phones can roam just fine on Verizon towers as the technology is the same. This may be old news, but when connected to a Wi-Fi network, you CAN talk and surf web simultaneously with Sprint. The Sprint "Unlimited" plans tend to offer better value than Verizon and the Telenav GPS Navigation is included for free as well. Add to that the fact that most major employers as well as a number of Credit Unions and affinity organizations all have some form of price discount available with Sprint (though in fairness probably same with Verizon) and the value proposition will often point to Sprint. Obviously, I have never had a problem with Sprint that couldn't be fixed. I would say pick one up and give it a spin for a few weeks knowing that you have 30 days to return/cancel contract if you don't dig it.
    09-04-11 12:52 PM
    Me too! Haha I kept checking letsTalk on a daily basis until they finally dropped. Ordered yesterday via tele sales. We should make a thread for those interested in the discount.

via Nexus S 4G
    We could do that. Don't want mods to get pissed or something. Don't know if theirs a rule for that.
    09-04-11 01:10 PM
    I definitely think Verizon. I've had both and Verizon's reliability is the best. Plus 3G speeds for me are faster than Sprint.

Hello all, I'm a long time AT&T customer and have always been satisfied with it's service. What I'm not satisfied with is the interminable amount of time it's taking to get the 9900. At this point I'm strongly considering a jump to another carrier to get the bold touch. I'm not going to T-mobile just to find myself back in the AT&T camp in a few months (DOJ notwithstanding). This boils it down to Sprint or Verizon. As I see it here's some pro and cons of each:

Verizon Pros: Great coverage and reception nationwide
    Verizon Cons: Higher monthly costs and capped data plans/poor customer service particularly in their billing dept/tends to "lock" down thier devices as to what apps can be used, typically Verizon branded ones (not sure if this applies to 9930 at all)

Sprint Pros: lower monthly costs and true unlimited data/better customer service
    Sprint Cons: less coverage (although my area looks fine on Sprint's map) and apparently no visual voicemail.

Based on the above I'd probably lean towards Sprint, but I'm kinda hung up on the visual voicemail thing. I've been using visual voicemail on my 9700 for two years and for 2 years prior to that on an iphone, yet Sprint can't seem to manage to bring it to the newest flagship RIM device? WTF? Maybe I shouldn't be hung up on it, but the idea of having to dial in to get my voicemail seems so backwards.

Well anyway what say you crackberry peeps? I'd like to hear from current 9930 owners from both camps if any are willing. Thanks.
    09-04-11 01:15 PM
    We could do that. Don't want mods to get pissed or something. Don't know if theirs a rule for that.
    Made the thread. When did you purchase? I ordered it yesterday and on my order status it shows Tuesday ship Wednesday arrival.

via Nexus S 4G
    09-04-11 01:22 PM
    AND if everything else didn't convince you to go with Sprint, this should definitely seal the deal...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9930-a-646094/

( If you don't want read the whole thread, Sprint's 9930 DOES include headphones, VZW does NOT)
    Last edited by Chapdaddy; 09-04-11 at 01:33 PM. Reason: add spoiler
    09-04-11 01:28 PM
    Verizon's coverage is way better than Sprint's coverage, it was enough for me to switch
    Sprint and Verizon have identical coverage, they roam off eachothers towers, even most Verizon reps will admit this, they hate to but most will. The only problem is when traveling with Sprint is the handoff from a Sprint tower to a Verizon tower you will drop the call every time. But actual coverage area identical
    09-04-11 02:24 PM
    One thing that shouldn't affect your decision is Sprint having unlimited data for $30/month. Even though verizon has a tiered system now (which I avoided thanks to the grandfathering), the data compression on a Blackberry is such that, even on my heaviest month with high browser usage, downloading many apps and songs/videos, and tethering, I only reached 964MB of data, less than half of verizon's current 2GB/$30 plan.

TL;DR ignore the data plans, they are essentially the same.

Verizon has always had vastly superior coverage where I live (New York suburbs) and go to school (Notre Dame, Indiana) so I highly doubt I'll be jumping off the Big Red ship any time soon.

Sprints coverage in Indiana around South Bend is excellent, im there a lot as well as every other state
    09-04-11 02:26 PM
    Sprint and Verizon are both great i think. Sprint does have better deals. im a truck driver traveling all the lower 48 and been with Sprint for 7 years, also know a lot of other drivers on Sprint, Verizon and ATT, for what its worth, most of the ones on ATT arent with ATT long. I am good friends with a lady that just switched to ATT just for the iphone (before Verizon was known to be getting it) and she is getting her **** right back over to Verizon in a few days. Traveling pretty much every corner of the country really Sprint and Verizon are very comparable with voice and Sprint has a very slight edge for data nationwide. ATT just plain sucks all around
    09-04-11 02:37 PM
    Definitely was in your position maybe two weeks ago, go with Verizon dude.

09-04-11 06:11 PM
    Well, let me tell you what happened to me just this weekend, I went to the beach for vacations (Ocean City, MD), with my VZW 9930 and my Sprint HTC tablet, at the hotel the tablet had no Sprint signal, and when it did, it varied from one bar to three, overall, I couldn't use it, however, my BB had constant 3 bars at all times and never had an issue with it. Coverage wise, VZW has the best service hands down.

I agree with the data, there is no way in hello you will go over 2Gb of DATA with a BB, I currently have the 300MBA for $20 and it works fine for me (when I'm not in vacation, this trip took at.least 10MB)

Not sure why ppl brings Gps issues, there are none with my 9930.

Go VZW, you won't regret it.

Edit: Posting from the tablet, Android is ruthless when autocorrecting text
    Last edited by VVoltz; 09-04-11 at 07:05 PM.
    09-04-11 07:01 PM
    AND if everything else didn't convince you to go with Sprint, this should definitely seal the deal...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9930-a-646094/

( If you don't want read the whole thread, Sprint's 9930 DOES include headphones, VZW does NOT)
    Oem earbuds suck. Audio torture devices that luckily, refuse to stay in your ears! Hahaha

Picking mine up next month from VZW.

Last edited by albee 1; 09-04-11 at 08:26 PM.
    09-04-11 08:23 PM
    If you travel a lot I'd say go with Verizon because their network is so much better than Sprint's.
    09-04-11 08:52 PM
    I'm not sure. It's just something I've heard about verizon in general. It may not apply to the 9930 at all.

Everyone thanks for the replies. It's curious that I've yet to see a sprint 9930owner comment on the lack of visual voice mail. I've asked here, and in another thread,and have seen a couple of other threads where the question is asked and never answered.

I'd like to hang on with AT&T, but its really annoying. I might even be able to make it to november if AT&T would just announce a release date and let me pre-order.
    I was a huge fan of Visual Voicemail until I started switching phones and kept losing voicemails. Now I use Google Voice for my voicemail, problem solved and more. Can listen to VM's from my computer, too. Will never look back.
    09-04-11 11:08 PM
    I've been with Sprint for 11 years and have never suffered any coverage issues. I believe over a year ago, Sprint signed a roaming agreement with verizon, and Sprint offers free roaming, so what is there to lose? If you are in an area not covered by Sprint, your phone will roam on the verizon towers. My bill for my 9930 is $79.00 a month for unlimited everything (including tethering) and I get a 20% employee discount off of that.
    I wont comment on the billing aspects since this is discussed at length, however:

There is a misconception out there that Sprint's "Unlimited Roaming" (on Verizon) means that you get unlimited access to their network. This is NOT the case. What it means is that they don't penalize you for roaming more than a certain percentage of the time like T-Mobile and some smaller carriers do. Further, the agreement does not cover all areas. Also the roaming is for the 1x network only (not EVDO). If a Sprint phone is within range of a Verizon and a Sprint tower then it will always connect to the Sprint tower even if signal is better for the Verizon tower. Also recently Sprint has been selling off "excess assets" (towers) and allowed some of their roaming agreements to expire. I talk to people all the time who use the big 4 carriers and am seeing more and more port out of Sprint due to recent loss of coverage.

The only significant difference between the Verizon and Sprint versions of the 9930 is the fact that the Verizon one uses Bing search in the browser (you can still go to google.com manually or download RIM's Google Search app to get around that). Also, assuming it is the same as the 9650, the Sprint version will come SIM Unlocked where with Verizon you will need to make a phone call and ask for the code if you plan to use it on someone else's GSM network overseas.
    09-05-11 12:23 AM
    If you decide to go with Sprint you can save $10 bucks a month.
    Go here
    Sprint | Everything Plus(SM) Referral Program
    and enter the email address and password below
    [email protected]
    09-05-11 03:39 AM
    Don't you love how VZW only argument against Sprint is more Native Coverage...in places you probably don't even care about

I mean VZW doesn't beat Sprint on:

Price
    Phone Selection (even more so when the iPhone comes to Sprint)
    Unlimited Offerings
    Customer Service (Sprint now ties Verizon for 1st Place)

So if someone says "well Sprint works good here too" what benefit does Verizon have at that point over Sprint, it loses it's only possible trump card to Sprint.

I mean since Sprint works perfectly fine for me everywhere I travel in the US, I have no incentive to go to Verizon and pay considerably more for less services.

Go with Sprint first since it is the cheaper of the two and you'll save a considerable amount of Money....if Sprint doesn't work, they have the 30day worry free guarantee where you return the equipment and pay nothing out of pocket (except any premium data purchases)..*Something else Verizon doesn't give you*...Then you go to Verizon and test them out.....

EDIT: another rep in Sprint favor is they're still doing the 125$ port-in Credit until Oct, just before the iPhone launch....Wow another incentive Verizon doesn't offer.
    Last edited by Lennyj17; 09-05-11 at 07:07 AM.
    09-05-11 07:00 AM
    @Lennyj17: Hear, Hear.
    09-05-11 07:31 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD