Hello all, I'm a long time AT&T customer and have always been satisfied with it's service. What I'm not satisfied with is the interminable amount of time it's taking to get the 9900. At this point I'm strongly considering a jump to another carrier to get the bold touch. I'm not going to T-mobile just to find myself back in the AT&T camp in a few months (DOJ notwithstanding). This boils it down to Sprint or Verizon. As I see it here's some pro and cons of each:

Verizon Pros: Great coverage and reception nationwide
    Verizon Cons: Higher monthly costs and capped data plans/poor customer service particularly in their billing dept/tends to "lock" down thier devices as to what apps can be used, typically Verizon branded ones (not sure if this applies to 9930 at all)

Sprint Pros: lower monthly costs and true unlimited data/better customer service
    Sprint Cons: less coverage (although my area looks fine on Sprint's map) and apparently no visual voicemail.

Based on the above I'd probably lean towards Sprint, but I'm kinda hung up on the visual voicemail thing. I've been using visual voicemail on my 9700 for two years and for 2 years prior to that on an iphone, yet Sprint can't seem to manage to bring it to the newest flagship RIM device? WTF? Maybe I shouldn't be hung up on it, but the idea of having to dial in to get my voicemail seems so backwards.

Well anyway what say you crackberry peeps? I'd like to hear from current 9930 owners from both camps if any are willing. Thanks.
    09-01-11 08:11 AM
    Verizon for sure!
    09-01-11 08:20 AM
    I'm in the same boat as you but I'd just as soon tough it out.

I'm on a dying 9800 (yeah, after one year) and am not enjoying this waiting game either.

However, I'm sure I'm not alone in why I choose to stay @ ATT as they collectively offer what other carriers don't:

1. rollover minutes,
    2. "surf-and-talk,"
    3. grandfathered unlimited plan,
    4. and, possibly, a high ETF.
    09-01-11 08:33 AM
    Verizon's coverage is way better than Sprint's coverage, it was enough for me to switch
    09-01-11 08:36 AM
    I have been using sprint for 13 years - coverage has never been a real issue (a couple drops in my area - same spots) - but nothing earth shattering - love the unlimited plan - wife and i share land line minutes and have never come close to going over and i pay $127 including tax....... well well worth it..... unlimited cell to any cell and unlimited data . . . . . . 90% of our calls these days are to cell phones......
    09-01-11 08:36 AM
    Same here..been with Sprint for over 4 yrs and no problems...before you buy, check Sprints coverage in your area, if it's ok, then Sprint is the least expensive of the two. Unlimited data also.
    09-01-11 08:42 AM
    Remember that the 9930 has data shrinking BIS.
    I never got over 500 Mbs on my 9650 on sprint and I tether sometimes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 08:46 AM
    Verizon Cons: Higher monthly costs and capped data plans/poor customer service particularly in their billing dept/tends to "lock" down thier devices as to what apps can be used, typically Verizon branded ones (not sure if this applies to 9930 at all)
    Which apps are locked down?
    09-01-11 09:02 AM
    Which apps are locked down?
    I'm not sure. It's just something I've heard about verizon in general. It may not apply to the 9930 at all.

Everyone thanks for the replies. It's curious that I've yet to see a sprint 9930owner comment on the lack of visual voice mail. I've asked here, and in another thread,and have seen a couple of other threads where the question is asked and never answered.

I'd like to hang on with AT&T, but its really annoying. I might even be able to make it to november if AT&T would just announce a release date and let me pre-order.
    09-01-11 09:49 AM
    I use Verizon and have for years and by far the service is superior in all ways

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-01-11 09:53 AM
    Did a little more research on rates/plans and it actually looks like I can save a little money on Verizon because of Sprint's $10 premium data plan requirement. That would push sprint to $79.99. For Verizon I can live with the $5/250 text and $30/2GB plan because I use maybe 150 texts per month and after some research I've broken 1GB maybe once in two years on my 9700. This brings my rate to $74.99 on Verizon. The draw back is that the 9930 is $250 on Verizon while only $199 on Sprint. That makes the break even point on Verizon at 10 months of service and then I save $5 a month for as long as I have the phone. I've had the 9700 for 2 years now and would expect to keep the 9930 that long as well.

Can someone comment on Verizon's billing practices? I've heard from at least two of my friends that Verizon will often randomly overcharge and then customer service either can't or won't explain the charges. Has that happened to anyone else?
    09-01-11 12:43 PM
    The $10 premium does not apply to the 9930 - (it didn't when I
    did a dummy order to upgarade anyway like it did when I tried the
    HTC 4G)... so the price would stay 69.99... and check and see if your employer has a discount, I am paying 108 bucks for 2 blackberrys unlimited on a family share discounted. On verizon I was paying like 90 a month for 1 never mind 2 and that was with a 20% discount! I notice zero difference in coverage in my area.

*** and the GPS included on Sprint is a plus especially for someone who gets lost in a paper bag like me
    Last edited by kbell; 09-01-11 at 01:00 PM.
    09-01-11 12:57 PM
    The VZ app lockdown doesn't apply to the 9930
    09-01-11 12:57 PM
    The $10 premium does not apply to the 9930 - (it didn't when I
    did a dummy order to upgarade anyway like it did when I tried the
    HTC 4G)... so the price would stay 69.99... and check and see if your employer has a discount, I am paying 108 bucks for 2 blackberrys unlimited on a family share discounted. On verizon I was paying like 90 a month for 1 never mind 2 and that was with a 20% discount! I notice zero difference in coverage in my area.
    Kbell, when I did a dummy order, the $10 did apply (but I'd be a new customer). I'll try again. can you comment on Sprint's lack of visual voicemail? Thanks!
    09-01-11 01:00 PM
    I've been with Sprint for 11 years and have never suffered any coverage issues. I believe over a year ago, Sprint signed a roaming agreement with verizon, and Sprint offers free roaming, so what is there to lose? If you are in an area not covered by Sprint, your phone will roam on the verizon towers. My bill for my 9930 is $79.00 a month for unlimited everything (including tethering) and I get a 20% employee discount off of that.
    09-01-11 01:17 PM
    Sprint did lose some of their roaming agreements in certain areas a little while back and coverage in said areas basically disappeared. So while generally it's probably not an issue, it can be.
    09-01-11 01:19 PM
    Hello all, I'm a long time AT&T customer and have always been satisfied with it's service. What I'm not satisfied with is the interminable amount of time it's taking to get the 9900. At this point I'm strongly considering a jump to another carrier to get the bold touch. I'm not going to T-mobile just to find myself back in the AT&T camp in a few months (DOJ notwithstanding). This boils it down to Sprint or Verizon. As I see it here's some pro and cons of each:

Verizon Pros: Great coverage and reception nationwide

Sprint Pros: lower monthly costs and true unlimited data/better customer service
    Sprint Cons: less coverage (although my area looks fine on Sprint's map) and apparently no visual voicemail.

Based on the above I'd probably lean towards Sprint, but I'm kinda hung up on the visual voicemail thing. I've been using visual voicemail on my 9700 for two years and for 2 years prior to that on an iphone, yet Sprint can't seem to manage to bring it to the newest flagship RIM device? WTF? Maybe I shouldn't be hung up on it, but the idea of having to dial in to get my voicemail seems so backwards.

Well anyway what say you crackberry peeps? I'd like to hear from current 9930 owners from both camps if any are willing. Thanks.
    GO BIG RED! Sprint is charging $249 for their 9930 while VZ is charging $199, and coverage is better on VZ.
    09-01-11 01:20 PM
    Had sprint for 2 months. Paid the ETF to be rid of them. I would never use them. Where I go I need good coverage and yes sprint can roam on verizon's network. HOWEVER, Frequently I was in an area of sprint coverage and had a very weak signal which was pretty worthless and cutting out entirely. Problem is it won't trigger roaming to verizon which had a great signal. So take what those who say sprint roams on verizons network with a major grain of salt cause it usually don't work that way.
    Verizon FTW!!

EDIT: The few extra bucks is worth it for the best coverage. Check for any discounts also. I get $20 off / month. Never would have known if I didn't ask at sign up. (former city employee)
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-01-11 at 01:28 PM.
    09-01-11 01:25 PM
    GO BIG RED! Sprint is charging $249 for their 9930 while VZ is charging $199, and coverage is better on VZ.
    When I go to the respective websites, I get the opposite: Sprint $199 and Vz $249. Can you point me to where I could get Vz for $199?

A number of commenters who use sprint have commented yet not one has responded to my question about visual voice mail. curious.
    09-01-11 01:30 PM
    When I go to the respective websites, I get the opposite: Sprint $199 and Vz $249. Can you point me to where I could get Vz for $199?

A number of commenters who use sprint have commented yet not one has responded to my question about visual voice mail. curious.
    IDK about the visual voice mail... I currently use the Bold 9650 (haven't gone through with upgrade yet) so not sure on that. I plan on going to the store tomorrow as opposed to online ordering and will upgrade then for instant gratification - after I will let you know what they say. I don't use it now, so I won't miss it anyway, but I'll ask for you I will also let you know for sure that my plan price does not increase. The 9930 is not listed as a 4G device and the online order didn't add the premium pricing.
    09-01-11 01:41 PM
    IDK about the visual voice mail... I currently use the Bold 9650 (haven't gone through with upgrade yet) so not sure on that. I plan on going to the store tomorrow as opposed to online ordering and will upgrade then for instant gratification - after I will let you know what they say. I don't use it now, so I won't miss it anyway, but I'll ask for you I will also let you know for sure that my plan price does not increase. The 9930 is not listed as a 4G device and the online order didn't add the premium pricing.
    Thanks Kbell! Just to be clear, it may be that sprint will charge me as a NEW customer the $10 while it won't charge you as an upgrading customer.
    09-01-11 01:51 PM
    I paid $199 for my 9930 ordering it on the phone with sprint
    09-01-11 02:41 PM
    You can use the app "Youmail" from Appworld and it's free
    09-01-11 02:58 PM
    Visual Voice mail is not free as far as I know. However you can use free services like Youmail or Google Voice to do the same thing. Just need to install their apps and have your calls forwarded to theiir Voicemail system. So Visual Voicemail should not be a descriminator.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 03:44 PM
    I had Sprint for over 5 years and now have had Verizon for over a year. I switched because of work. Sprint service/coverage was way, way better.
    09-01-11 03:51 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD