Hello, like everyone I am desperate to upgrade from my 9650, so I spend a lot of time reading about the new features this great BB will bring. So I learned how the new Bold will support ATT and TMobile's 4G network (HSDPA+) which is great news. These higher speeds than VZW or Sprint's 3G paired with the obvious ability to be online while talking on the phone make me think I HAVE to switch to ATT.

Is there any reason I should stay with VZW?

Also if the merger goes through I may even be able to take advantage of Tmobile's free Wifi calling!!

Help me understand.
    06-23-11 02:15 PM
    If you are happy with your Verizon service this is not a good enough reason to switch IMO but to each his own. No unlimited data at AT&T either.
    06-23-11 02:20 PM
    Don't jump ship as of yet. ATT will follow the Verizon footsteps with the pricing soon, and will have almost identical plans with small changes. The reality is that we are being taken advantage from these Companies and being charged 400% for our wireless service. Verizon has the best service out there period. I had all of them at some point and do travel frequently and Verizon takes the helm.

I hate Verizon but also need the service and want a smartphone so I have no choice but to stay with them, ATT again is no better and we all will see the same pricing across the board from all the providers.
    06-23-11 02:22 PM
    I am currently on VZW, but I find it hard to believe that HSPA+ is enough for anyone to switch over, when Verizon has LTE out now even though RIM won't support it till QNX is out.
    06-23-11 02:24 PM
    In my area ATT sucks! I was concidering the switch and was told by everyone that uses ATT here to not even consider it - they have constant dropped calls - people have to actually walk outside to talk cause the reception in the buildings is horrible....
    06-23-11 02:26 PM
    Plus if you have a smartphone now, you have unlimited data. Does At&t offer that?
    06-23-11 02:29 PM
    Get your unlimited data on Verizon now, before it's too late.
    06-23-11 02:59 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I do have unlimited, however I rarely go ove 1GB and I use my BB all the time, so I don't know if that is a big deal to me. I am mostly strugling with the idea of higher speeds.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-11 03:28 PM
    If speed is your main concern, why were you on Verizon to begin with? AT&T 3G speeds are greater than Verizon's, but the coverage and reliability can't compare with big red. Even if AT&T acquires T-Mobile do you really think they are going to expand their LTE network at the speed Verizon is? AT&T's network expansion is terrible. As devices become more and more capable your data usage is guaranteed to go up. I know going to a real browser with OS 7 is going to increase my usage quite a bit.
    Last edited by bighap; 06-23-11 at 03:41 PM.
    06-23-11 03:38 PM
    Get your unlimited data on Verizon now, before it's too late.
    Yeah I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the fact that I can only get unlimited data at Verizon if I sign up before July 7 but there is no freakin' 9930 to be had.

Anyone else with the same dilemma? I'm now thinking of getting some old used device and hook that up on a new VZW contract but I have no idea if I can then still get a 9930 at the sponsored price or not.

Annoying. Wish the darn thing came out already.
    06-23-11 03:49 PM
    My wife has ATT iPhone and our speeds are very similar and even if they were different it would be marginal. As for LTE I would go back to Verizon once RIM made and LTE BB. I do love my VZW service, never drop calls!

06-23-11 03:59 PM
    Yeah I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the fact that I can only get unlimited data at Verizon if I sign up before July 7 but there is no freakin' 9930 to be had.

Anyone else with the same dilemma? I'm now thinking of getting some old used device and hook that up on a new VZW contract but I have no idea if I can then still get a 9930 at the sponsored price or not.

If you are out of contract with Verizon pick up an old Pearl, Curve, or Tour real cheap or Craigslist or eBay and call customer service. They would likely allow you to get the discounted price when the 9930 becomes available. Their concern is getting you under contract.
    06-23-11 04:03 PM
    Soo is Verizon better than AT&T????

If so, In what ways???
    06-23-11 04:42 PM

If so, In what ways???
    Basically this is what you ask to that question to answer it: Which carrier has the best service in my area?
    Then you pick devices, and plans after.

Coverage is key.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-23-11 04:51 PM
    Plus if you have a smartphone now, you have unlimited data. Does At&t offer that?
    Yes, if you were an AT&T customer prior to them making the switch. What's interesting is they claim the unlimited data is only for 3G devices. Meaning if you were grandfathered on an unlimited plan and to switch to say.....a Samsung Infuse - which is a 4G phone, AT&T will not allow the unlimited data. You would have to pick a 4G data plan. I think that's total crapola. Good thing the 9900 is a 3G device!
    06-23-11 04:58 PM
    If you are happy with your Verizon service this is not a good enough reason to switch IMO but to each his own. No unlimited data at AT&T either.
    Agreed. No unlimited for new customers. While yes AT&T 3G speeds are faster than Verizon, I wouldn't switch for just one device. Maybe if I Had to have LTE, I might would switch to Big Red. But I doubt it.
    06-23-11 04:59 PM
    For me, I do hate VZW some days. **** phone options for years, expensive and no data while calling. I do have two cell phones for my self from VZW so I can work remotely and call.

That stated, they have service centers in about every store and can swap out a phone that day. I have been given new phones right out of the box off the shelve, my Tour is one when I bricked it.
    Every time I have called VZW and did not chew them out and worked with them they were awesome. I got a wireless extender sent to my house 2nd day air when I had no reception at no charge to me. We will see what they come back with for reception on this ticket that they opened.
    I was told by 2013 they will have LTE rolled out, according the the service tech that I talked to yesterday. But I don't care too much, if you have tethered a BB you can get 500kb/s download. Great for me when I need a TV show/netflix/music on the road, plus I heard 4G/LTE eats battery life like crazy (Thunderbolt users)

Verizon service, when I have an issue and in store people are the reason I stay with them. Not their phones or reception and for sure not the prices.
    06-23-11 05:33 PM

If so, In what ways???
    we all know, VZW provides superior service, hence the slew of people that waited for the iphone to come out with them. The dilema is: Is it worth moving to ATT when the Bold Touch comes out to enjoy ATT's "3.5G" in HSDPA which is supposed to be 4x faster vs staying with Verizon and continue to have 3G speeds.

06-23-11 05:56 PM
    I would think HSDPA (aka 3.5G) would be negligible with a BB since all data goes through RIM and is compressed. The only benefit I could see with the speed increase would be for tethering. Unless I am not seeing something else you would get with the speed increase.

Oh yea I forgot about simultaneous data and voice, but I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor for myself at least.
    06-23-11 09:27 PM
    Thanks, I didn't know RIM servers would not handle the higher speeds, is this why no real 4G Blackberries have been planned?

06-23-11 09:46 PM

If you are grandfathered in on an unlimited data plan, will you be able to stay on the unlimited plan once you upgrade to a 4G device, or will the new tiered pricing kick in?
    06-23-11 09:50 PM
    While I live in a large Urban area that has had 4G LTE for awhile, I stay with VZW because when I travel I go to rural areas all over the US. I have been in very few places where I couldnt get service. My co worker had ATT and always borrowed my phone to call anyone. the coverege outside of major cities is not that good for ATT in my opinion. I also use a 4GLTE hot spot that is awesome in a 4g area.
    06-23-11 10:26 PM
    Yes, if you were an AT&T customer prior to them making the switch. What's interesting is they claim the unlimited data is only for 3G devices. Meaning if you were grandfathered on an unlimited plan and to switch to say.....a Samsung Infuse - which is a 4G phone, AT&T will not allow the unlimited data. You would have to pick a 4G data plan. I think that's total crapola. Good thing the 9900 is a 3G device!
    AT&T offers keeping the unlimited data on the "4G" phones as well. Corporate store reps are instructed to get people off it. But it's there, all my inspire and infuse friends have it. And I sell it

as far as this thread goes... all you can do is analyze who has the best coverage. What matters is where you live, work, and go on a regular basis. I haven't understood the dropped calls issue. I dropped calls when I had an iPhone 3G....once I switched to blackberries and my nokia e72, I cannot tell you the last time i dropped a call. Remember manufacturers put different amounts of attention to antenna design. My nokia is the most robust signal device i've ever used. and my 9700 then torch have been stellar as well. (all with AT&T)
    06-24-11 01:50 AM
    Basically this is what you ask to that question to answer it: Which carrier has the best service in my area?
    Then you pick devices, and plans after.

Coverage is key.
    thank you!

i hear so many people picking phones not carriers what good is a phone if you have bad service.

I have At&t and in monmouth county new jersey they have great coverage and are on par with verizon now that does not mean one is better just means where i live it has good service if you travel a lot verizon is probably safer as they have broader coverage.
    06-24-11 07:14 AM
    AT&T offers keeping the unlimited data on the "4G" phones as well. Corporate store reps are instructed to get people off it. But it's there, all my inspire and infuse friends have it. And I sell it ........
    Well, it doesn't surprise me. This contradicts what the phone rep (based on NV) told me this past Saturday. I stuck my SIM card from the BB into my Inspire - all was well for a few minutes, then couldn't get data. Long story short, he said it was the bands from the phone not syncing with the system. Meaning I had to switch to a 4G data plan. Pure bs, eh? He said I should keep the unlimited 3G instead of going 4G. Heck, I'm lucky to get 3G anyway. I have to use a damn Microcell at home. So hook me up!
    06-24-11 07:26 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD