And I've read all over the forums that the bold 9900 battery life is comparable to that of the 9700 battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 02:31 PM
    Lets Ask Gregg - He has been using one for a while now - see if he posts his observations with his battery over the last 1-2 weeks.....
    07-18-11 02:40 PM
    How is it that your saying that at this time there's no word on field testing for the 9900 and crucial is saying there's a good chance for an August launch for AT&T, something doesn't add up, could it be their just gonna test the 9900 in the labs and not do a field trial??

I am just saying it has not entered field testing yet. Yes I read that he said that there's a good chance for an Aug release and yes it doesn't exactly add up. is it possible that it will be tested in the lab only, sure its possible but the only time that's happened outside of iPhone was the original 9800 and that went so horribly wrong that at&t has vowed they won't do it again, especially with RIM...

We'll have to wait and see what happens. Right now there is a lot of rumor and speculation and very little fact...

PG
    07-18-11 03:03 PM
    I am just saying it has not entered field testing yet. Yes I read that he said that there's a good chance for an Aug release and yes it doesn't exactly add up. is it possible that it will be tested in the lab only, sure its possible but the only time that's happened outside of iPhone was the original 9800 and that went so horribly wrong that at&t has vowed they won't do it again, especially with RIM...

We'll have to wait and see what happens. Right now there is a lot of rumor and speculation and very little fact...

PG
    Since the Torch 2 is virtually the same phone as the 9900 just in a diffent form factor maybe they won't need to field test it I don't really see the point especially if its already been tested in the labs. All RIM devices are buggy at launch I think blackberry users have accepted that.

07-18-11 03:13 PM
    Since the Torch 2 is virtually the same phone as the 9900 just in a diffent form factor maybe they won't need to field test it I don't really see the point especially if its already been tested in the labs. All RIM devices are buggy at launch I think blackberry users have accepted that.

It doesn't work that way. Every device gets tested regardless of how similar the two devices may appear.

PG
    07-18-11 03:52 PM
    When they tested the 9800 in the lab didn't they see the lag it had ?? How could it of got accepted ??? And can someone answer this maybe with an employee letter what the **** really happened with the original storm 9530 was it tested at all come on the original os it was released with was a joke what was the story behind that ??
    07-18-11 05:23 PM
    Sorry I didn't know you censored the word H*ll
    07-18-11 05:25 PM
    When they tested the 9800 in the lab didn't they see the lag it had ?? How could it of got accepted ??? And can someone answer this maybe with an employee letter what the **** really happened with the original storm 9530 was it tested at all come on the original os it was released with was a joke what was the story behind that ??
    I don't find the 9800 to be laggy at all other than the occasional slow-loading page in the browser. Has there never been another phone released that didn't have a little lag? They're out there; how did they get past testing?

Storm 1 is a different story -- that definitely has most of us scratching our heads.
    07-18-11 06:04 PM
    Crucial said he believes AT&T launch likely in August

Someone(you) asked me if it was a POSSIBILITY of the 9900 launching in August. I said, yes very much a possibility. Not that it's going to. I don't believe it'll launch on AT&T in August and have said that for a while now. The plan is to get the 9810 out the door. But stranger things have happened and it's possible it gets released in Aug. Not probable. But possible.

Correct TA is what follows field trial. Once the field passes it then it gets TA and is released for the marketing folks to work out remaining details on a release date.

My good friend CX is correct, we're headed for TA on the 9810 shortly, possibly as early as Friday but more likely next week. Yes early/mid August seems reasonable.

I will defer to CX though on the 9900 as he may have more current info than I. No one is talking (on the at&t side) on when it will be released for field trial and from my perspective Aug would be VERY difficult at this point for release.

I will also say that I have been told that iPhone 5 has entered its usual DARK field testing period. I believe that the plan is still for iPhone 5 release in September but as usual reliable information on that is difficult to come by.

PG
    Thanks bud. Yes the 9900 is dragging it's feet.

Seriously, he has to be freaking kidding me...the iPhone 4 has awful battery life, even with 3G and bluetooth turned off and the screen turned way down I only got 8-9 hours out of mine. With everything turned on, I would be lucky to get 6 hours. How come CX drops that BOMBSHELL - basically the 9900 having extremely poor battery life (if he is correct) - and yet nobody bats an eyelid? Either CX is full of it, or the 9900 isn't the wonder phone everyone's saying it is. If its battery life is on par with the iPhone then it's an unusable phone as far as I'm concerned.

You have your opinion and I have mine. I think the i4 has great battery life. You don't. Moving on the 9900's battery life is approaching that of the 97xx series. Good day.
    _StephenBB81 likes this.
    07-18-11 06:05 PM
    cx there hasnt been any talk about the 9930 release when will that be seen???????
    07-18-11 07:39 PM
    You have your opinion and I have mine. I think the i4 has great battery life. You don't. Moving on the 9900's battery life is approaching that of the 97xx series. Good day.
    To be fair sir, the issue of battery life is not an "opinion." I doubt there are many people - even die hard iPhone users - would claim that the iPhone 4 has a comparable battery life to, say, the 9700. If as you say, the 9900's battery life is approaching that of the 97xx series, then it will be many times better than that of the iPhone.
    07-19-11 12:06 AM
    To be fair sir, the issue of battery life is not an "opinion." I doubt there are many people - even die hard iPhone users - would claim that the iPhone 4 has a comparable battery life to, say, the 9700. If as you say, the 9900's battery life is approaching that of the 97xx series, then it will be many times better than that of the iPhone.
    Neither is it an exact science. Everybody's experience varies -- widely in some cases -- depending on what they're running and how they use their phones. Friend of mine with an iP4 was getting great battery life right up until he installed some company app to access his corporate email and calendar. Cut his battery life in half. Same phone, one poorly designed app. Such things will most certainly affect one's opinion about battery life.

07-19-11 09:39 AM
    I agree battery life is very subjective. You could think you are a heavy user because your checking your email every 5 minutes, but may have no apps accessing data or any other push notifications coming.

For me for example, I got better battery life on my torch than the 9780. I would be lucky to get a whole day charge out of my phone. I narrowed it down to one app causing issues but even then, with me using gps and driving to work I lose about 10 percent in an hour.
    07-19-11 10:24 AM
    Neither is it an exact science. Everybody's experience varies -- widely in some cases -- depending on what they're running and how they use their phones. Friend of mine with an iP4 was getting great battery life right up until he installed some company app to access his corporate email and calendar. Cut his battery life in half. Same phone, one poorly designed app. Such things will most certainly affect one's opinion about battery life.

It was pretty clear cut for me. When I had my iPhone 4 I used it in about the exact same way as my Blackberry, in terms of messaging, calls and internet use. I'm not one for installing lots of apps, I'm talking core phone use. When I used my iPhone 4 in the same way as my BB I got awful battery life from it. To get 9 hours of use I'd have to stick to 2G, turn bluetooth off and turn the screen brightness way down. I'd also have to limit my web browsing. I took two back to the Apple store because I was convinced they'd given me duff batteries, but they tested them and said they were fine and to be honest the guy in the store admitted that if I was coming from a Blackberry, I shouldn't expect to get the same battery life.

After a month of testing, I took it back and got a 9700. The first day, I used the cr*p out of it...everything set to full, nothing turned off, bluetooth calls and messaging and emailing and browsing all day. After 12 hours I still had around 40% of battery left and it was still going strong the next day. You may claim that the iPhone 4 has decent battery life when compared to other iPhones or Android phones, but to put it up there with the 9700 is just plain wrong.
    johnmarki and Mvor7 like this.
    07-19-11 10:39 AM
    It was pretty clear cut for me. When I had my iPhone 4 I used it in about the exact same way as my Blackberry, in terms of messaging, calls and internet use. I'm not one for installing lots of apps, I'm talking core phone use. When I used my iPhone 4 in the same way as my BB I got awful battery life from it. To get 9 hours of use I'd have to stick to 2G, turn bluetooth off and turn the screen brightness way down. I'd also have to limit my web browsing. I took two back to the Apple store because I was convinced they'd given me duff batteries, but they tested them and said they were fine and to be honest the guy in the store admitted that if I was coming from a Blackberry, I shouldn't expect to get the same battery life.

After a month of testing, I took it back and got a 9700. The first day, I used the cr*p out of it...everything set to full, nothing turned off, bluetooth calls and messaging and emailing and browsing all day. After 12 hours I still had around 40% of battery left and it was still going strong the next day. You may claim that the iPhone 4 has decent battery life when compared to other iPhones or Android phones, but to put it up there with the 9700 is just plain wrong.
    This is my last post regarding the iPhone 4's battery life. But your post says it all. "When you had". You don't have one now, and as the same with BlackBerry products, new firmware revisions help all sorts of things. Power Management included. So while you had an i4, it most definitely wasn't using the latest firmware that's currently available. That on top of any particular application/s that hindered battery life. Which as with above, also happens with BlackBerry.
    01itr and maevinj like this.
    07-19-11 10:43 AM

It doesn't work that way. Every device gets tested regardless of how similar the two devices may appear.

PG
    PG is correct... testing is not what people think it is! it's a measure of Quality, but what is quality ? yes not 100% of the bugs can be found by testers, but you can't assume just cause 2 devices are running the same OS, with similar hardware doesn't mean each phone doesn't need to be tested at the same level!

there are so many different tests to do! load, performance, functional, data, regression, how it interacts with hardware etc etc etc.

i remember this one guy said "oh it's just a new data option in a drop down, should take 5mins to test" i laughed! one addition to a drop down can touch so many things in an application!

there are so many variables that are different between the two devices! it takes apple a YEAR to release 1 product.. you think they just go.. ahh each OS looks the same so we're just gonna say it'll work and release it.. it takes them a year to release a phone and it still has bugs.. not saying it's apple fault, well maybe the hardware antenna issue was, but even then when ur testing a phone your not gonna think to sit there with your hand in that one location and watch the reception drop! that's what beta testing is for.. but still it's just the way it is... you will never get a product off the shelf with 0 bugs! that's why communities like this one help developers and testers think of more REAL LIFE scenarios to test and make the product better!
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 07-19-11 at 11:15 AM.
    07-19-11 11:09 AM
    Cx please the 9930 will that be released before the 9900
    07-19-11 12:48 PM
    Apologies for this double post as i've put it under the rumour section, but i spoke to an Advisor at Vodafone (uk) and i was told pre-orders are available from 29th July 2011 and luanch date is 14th August 2011
    07-19-11 01:55 PM
    This is my last post regarding the iPhone 4's battery life. But your post says it all. "When you had". You don't have one now, and as the same with BlackBerry products, new firmware revisions help all sorts of things. Power Management included. So while you had an i4, it most definitely wasn't using the latest firmware that's currently available. That on top of any particular application/s that hindered battery life. Which as with above, also happens with BlackBerry.
    First of all, I don't see any firmware update doubling or tripling the iPhone's battery life, which it would have to to compare with the 9700. Second, I really don't use apps and didn't have any installed on either phone.

07-19-11 03:16 PM
    First of all, I don't see any firmware update doubling or tripling the iPhone's battery life, which it would have to to compare with the 9700. Second, I really don't use apps and didn't have any installed on either phone.

You're actually arguing w/ CX about this??
    07-19-11 03:23 PM
    It doesn't matter. He thinks the iPhone 4 has poor battery life and I don't. No big deal. )
    07-19-11 03:56 PM
    My local AT&T store just pulled every Blackberry off the shelves except the latest Curve last week. Probably getting ready for the new phones. Hopefully it comes out soon.
    07-19-11 05:14 PM
    My local AT&T store just pulled every Blackberry off the shelves except the latest Curve last week. Probably getting ready for the new phones. Hopefully it comes out soon.
    Why would AT&T pull all of it's Blackberrys off the shelf for a new Blackberry that will not arrive for 30-to 60 days? Why would they pull it off if it were to arrive in a week? Why would they pull the devices even when the 9900 is introduced?
    07-19-11 05:20 PM
    Why yes, yes I am!
    07-19-11 06:14 PM
    Meh, my local AT&T store pulled every Blackberry except the Torch and Curve about 2 months ago. Back then they said they had no plans that they knew of to get any new Blackberries, and denied that they were getting ready for a new model. It was as if they were abandoning Blackberry altogether. Of course they tried to sell me an iPhone.
    07-19-11 06:16 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD