Attempting to go back on topic: Dawgman, any updates about the battery life? I figure that you must've at least charged it twice by now
    X2
    10char
    07-13-11 05:53 PM
    Also, Dawgman, is pulling the battery still the norm for the Blackberry?
    07-13-11 05:59 PM
    Tell us it ain't so Dawgman!!!!
    07-13-11 06:16 PM
    Was this really necessary? Good lord, you people will crap anywhere.
    DawgMan likes this.
    07-13-11 07:38 PM
    The only thing I can imagine is that those in the meeting were wearing oven mittens. I have not had this experience nor have I received reports from others that I know are currently using the 9900. As to the comments of the device being small, nothing could be further from the truth. The 9700/9780 is small compared to the 9900 which has the spacious keyboard similar to the original Bold 9000. While I have disagree with your brief review, I respect your right to voice it.

Finally had a 9900 in my hands yesterday in a meeting with RIM. Mind you it was for 5 minutes, so I can't give an extensive report. However, one thing I noticed, is that because of the small touch screen, almost everybody in our meeting, when they went to swipe left or right, inevitably launched an app of some sort without meaning to.

The problem is the small screen and the lack of space around the apps to touch without launching something...

While the unit is small, thin and welcome, it really isn't anything to get excited about over the current Bold offerings. The majority of the elder states business people that have bolds, won't touch the screen. Those the want to can. So there is the best of both worlds... Touch or no touch...
    07-13-11 07:45 PM
    I'd think asking about battery pulls is perfectly reasonable, especially given the OS is in it's infancy. Even the best PC could stand a reboot on occasion.

You ever get that html5 test done dm?
    DawgMan likes this.
    07-13-11 07:54 PM
    No hotspot.

Is there any hotspot feature?
    The speaker is much improved over the 9700/9780. I have no complaints about ringer/speaker volume.

I would like to know about the speaker, as in when the phone rings. Is the speaker powerful? how does it compare to the bold 9780/9700? I heard that the 9000 had 2 powerful ones. What about the 9900?
    Thanks Dawg
    Honestly...the battery life is mediocre. I think with the upgraded 1.2ghz processor the battery should be better than it is. I really believe the 1230mAh, 4.6Wh battery is under powered for the device. It would be difficult to offer a realistic gauge since no two days of use are alike.

Attempting to go back on topic: Dawgman, any updates about the battery life? I figure that you must've at least charged it twice by now
    I too would like to know how the battery life is, thanks!
    Ummmm....no. No battery pulls for me with the exception of after installing a new OS or app.

Tell us it ain't so Dawgman!!!!
    07-13-11 08:14 PM
    I'd think asking about battery pulls is perfectly reasonable, especially given the OS is in it's infancy. Even the best PC could stand a reboot on occasion.

You ever get that html5 test done dm?
    No, sorry...I know, I know, Im a slacker.
    07-13-11 08:16 PM
    Battery pulls or resets happen with every device known to man pretty much.....sometimes a 1 should be a 0. It happens.
    07-13-11 08:23 PM
    HTML5 Test results, 277 plus 3 bonus points.
    Guatiao likes this.
    07-13-11 08:44 PM
    pretty damn good, only behind iOS 5 and MeeGo
    07-13-11 08:53 PM
    Meh..I'm more interested in real world browser performance than benchmarks. I mean..even the original Torch scored a 266..and we know how poor its browser is in comparison to top Android or iPhones. Same can be said for the PlayBooks browser..
    07-13-11 08:56 PM
    "Blackberrys have this cool thing called Firewall, you can block any Pin, phone number or email."- sorry this user doesn't accept private messages, can you tell me how to block particular numbers and emails????!!!!!

I cannot wait to see this phone, it sounds great!!!!!!!!!!!! I currently have a 9800 and am either going to snag the torch 2 or this new bold!
    07-13-11 10:31 PM
    HTML5 Test results, 277 plus 3 bonus points.
    The Torch 2 9810 also gets the same exact score in this video (3:15)

07-13-11 10:38 PM
    pretty damn good, only behind iOS 5 and MeeGo
    Interesting. I just saw the same results. In tablets, Playbook is in the lead at 274 & 9

iOS 5 is just considered development/beta right now. To be fair though, the BB7 phones aren't out yet officially either.

Still nice to see they're pretty close.
    07-13-11 10:46 PM
    Why is nobody talking about the market for BB's and other phones in terms of age demographic? I'm 38 and what I want from a phone now is I imagine totally different to what I would have wanted from a phone when I was 21 (if such phones were available then, which they weren't). Back then I played video games - I'm totally disinterested by games now. Back then I would have loved to have streamed music and movies on a wide screen - now the only time I have to do anything like that is when I'm at home...where I have my awesome desktop PC. Back then I would have loved to video chat with friends - now it just seems like a gimmick and a drain of valuable battery power.

And back then I'm sure I would have felt a touchscreen keyboard was way cooler and more futuristic - now I just want what's practical and what enables me to type as quickly and as accurately as possible.

Oh and course back then I wasn't running a business and dependent on fast, accurate communication in real time. I did try an iPhone 4 for a while and my overwhelming feeling was man, I would have loved this when I was younger.

I'm aware that this sounds patronizing and I apologize in advance, but the younger you are, the more likely you are to look at your phone as a plaything, and the more likely you are to be worried about how cool you look or how "in" you are with your peers. It's obvious that these things affect our choice of phone. Does nobody stop to think that RIM has consciously prioritized the older demographic? I'm not saying that young people don't use Blackberries because they quite clearly do, however I'm sure if you looked at an accurate set of demographic charts it would be shown that older people have, in general, different tendencies when it comes to choosing a device.
    07-14-11 12:53 AM
    "It is anybody's surprise who emerges as a winner. As compared to App Store's enormous base of 425,000 apps, BlackBerry's App World looked like a dwarf at 37,000 apps."
    That would totally p*** me off once I'd gotten to the 37,000'th app and there were no more. How I'd be cursing my choice of phone then.
    john_v likes this.
    07-14-11 12:56 AM
    This decade is more excessive than the 80's.
    37,000 Apps:
    1 app per day for 101 years
    25 apps per day for 4years (which is more than anyone keeps a phone for)
    Not to mention the amount of repetition in Apple's apps, there are tens of thousands of grocery list apps. Im happy with 200 good, varied apps.
    07-14-11 01:32 AM
    Honestly...the battery life is mediocre. I think with the upgraded 1.2ghz processor the battery should be better than it is. I really believe the 1230mAh, 4.6Wh battery is under powered for the device. It would be difficult to offer a realistic gauge since no two days of use are alike.
    Thanks for the reply. True, but I'm hoping to get at least one day of heavy usage without having to charge it halfway through the day. Or else this phone wouldn't be any better than any iPhone or Android device.
    07-14-11 01:47 AM
    Well heck, I get 6 hours of heavy use out of my 9650. That's no judge of which phone is better. The Bold Touch is offering a unique, and distinctly BlackBerry format. The keypad alone shoots it out of the park for communication.
    07-14-11 04:59 AM
    As someone else noted, all devices require a reboot at one time or another. It was the suggestion that frequent battery pulls are the norm for all BlackBerry's that I took exception to. One or two buggy models were prone to that, yes ... but in all the years I've owned BB's I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to reboot any of them for anything other than an OS install or an app removal.

This is one of the very few active positive threads around here, and for the most part people are asking legitimate questions. I'm just tired of certain people taking any opportunity to pi$$ on anything wherever they feel like it.
    grover5, DawgMan and Dapper37 like this.
    07-14-11 06:16 AM
    As someone else noted, all devices require a reboot at one time or another. It was the suggestion that frequent battery pulls are the norm for all BlackBerry's that I took exception to. One or two buggy models were prone to that, yes ... but in all the years I've owned BB's I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to reboot any of them for anything other than an OS install or an app removal.

This is one of the very few active positive threads around here, and for the most part people are asking legitimate questions. I'm just tired of certain people taking any opportunity to pi$$ on anything wherever they feel like it.
    I agree about the quality of the thread, but I can't go 3 days without a forced reboot, so I usually do one daily. It doesn't make me feel like I've a lesser device at all.

As much as the trolls have increased, I think the sensitivity level has too.
    07-14-11 06:37 AM
    I would say my 9900 is not on the latest OS but I have not had to reboot for over a week. Same memory is had when I started it so it looks good to me. I would have to go back to the old 9700 days to remember having to reboot my RIM device.

For those time when you may need to reboot, I do not care if it took 20 minutes. OS7 seems VERY stable to me and this 9900 is not running on the final OS for sure! The CPU makes such a difference on everything this device does . . .amazing
    DawgMan likes this.
    07-14-11 06:37 AM
    greggbgardt, I may have missed the answer to my question, but here it goes; have you used any OS6-specific apps already without issues? Like, BeBuzz, BeWeather, MeterBerry, Pandora, etc.?

Thanks for your great feedback on the 9900!!
    07-14-11 07:24 AM

Didnt mean to offend you and make you get defensive. But I have only had 2 blackberry the 8330 and 9530. The 8330 was a good little phone for the time I had it but now, the 9530 was one of the worst phones I have ever owned and left me with an unfavorable impression with blackberries at that time. Friends of mine now have the 9630 now and they have nothing but issues. Not trying to "****" on blackberries but their last few offerings for VZW have not been very good compared to what you may find on other carriers.

And with that said I'm just trying to learn and find out the ins and outs of Rims latest os and flagship device, like most everyone else in this thread, and are eagerly anticipating this device.
    07-14-11 07:28 AM
308 ... 910111213
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD