Between the stories of naked men on MSN and whines about the FFC can the OP be allowed to comment on the 9900's battery life?
    And about the naked men suddenly popping up, don't you have to accept a video chat request for video streaming to begin? Maybe wirelessgal was a bit curious
    07-12-11 06:43 AM
    Is there any hotspot feature?
    07-12-11 07:51 AM
    I would like to know about the speaker, as in when the phone rings. Is the speaker powerful? how does it compare to the bold 9780/9700? I heard that the 9000 had 2 powerful ones. What about the 9900?
    Thanks Dawg
    07-12-11 08:08 AM
    I find the 9900 speaker to be every bit as good as the 9000, or better. MUCH better than the 9780 or 9800.
    TheCROW163 likes this.
    07-12-11 08:52 AM
    This whole FFC conversation is a joke IMO. People don't even SPEAK to anyone anymore, nevermind video chat. Everyone just does SMS, BBM, and IM now.
    07-12-11 09:41 AM
    This whole FFC conversation is a joke IMO. People don't even SPEAK to anyone anymore, nevermind video chat. Everyone just does SMS, BBM, and IM now.
    Though I have actively been trying to make this statement true since 2007
    My 1200-2400 minutes of talk time a month would greatly disagree with you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-11 09:55 AM
    I love it when people right stuff like it is fact. EVERYONE does this and that.

Everyone does email in the cloud yada yada yada but then EVERYONE complains that there is no native email client on the Playbook.

BTW, I'm not everyone.
    07-12-11 10:33 AM
    I find the 9900 speaker to be every bit as good as the 9000, or better. MUCH better than the 9780 or 9800.
    That's a very good thing, it'd be a shame to put out a front-line device and give it shoddy sound quality.

07-12-11 10:39 AM

Everyone does email in the cloud yada yada yada but then EVERYONE complains that there is no native email client on the Playbook.

BTW, I'm not everyone.
    I watched my neice go trough 1000 sms in a weekend, I would say younger generations are all about text, IM, facebook chat
    I'm 34 and I only have 300 minutes in my contract but never use them, even though I use it for business.

07-12-11 10:41 AM

BTW, I'm not everyone.
    You're right, if I was the OP I would've said something like "no one I know or have ever seen uses a FFC ever, and I don't because I think FFCs are ********."

07-12-11 10:46 AM

That's great to hear. I'm using my 9000 rght now because I sold my Torch and 9700. If the keyboard on the 9900 is better than the 9000, then RIM created a masterpiece. The 9000 was excellent in it's days. But good lord this thing is SLOW!!! Coming from a Torch, it's a turtle! I'm picking up a 9780 to hold me over until the 9900 is released.
    07-12-11 10:50 AM
    You had me at hello.
    07-12-11 11:00 AM
    That's great to hear. I'm using my 9000 rght now because I sold my Torch and 9700. If the keyboard on the 9900 is better than the 9000, then RIM created a masterpiece. The 9000 was excellent in it's days. But good lord this thing is SLOW!!! Coming from a Torch, it's a turtle! I'm picking up a 9780 to hold me over until the 9900 is released.

Im going from 9000 to 9900, and i've had a chance to play with the 9900, the keyboard is fantastic, better than the 9000 by a little bit, its wider with less action, making typing faster. All in all its amazing
    07-13-11 08:03 AM
    Finally had a 9900 in my hands yesterday in a meeting with RIM. Mind you it was for 5 minutes, so I can't give an extensive report. However, one thing I noticed, is that because of the small touch screen, almost everybody in our meeting, when they went to swipe left or right, inevitably launched an app of some sort without meaning to.

The problem is the small screen and the lack of space around the apps to touch without launching something...

While the unit is small, thin and welcome, it really isn't anything to get excited about over the current Bold offerings. The majority of the elder states business people that have bolds, won't touch the screen. Those the want to can. So there is the best of both worlds... Touch or no touch...
    07-13-11 11:30 AM
    Finally had a 9900 in my hands yesterday in a meeting with RIM. Mind you it was for 5 minutes, so I can't give an extensive report. However, one thing I noticed, is that because of the small touch screen, almost everybody in our meeting, when they went to swipe left or right, inevitably launched an app of some sort without meaning to.

The problem is the small screen and the lack of space around the apps to touch without launching something...

While the unit is small, thin and welcome, it really isn't anything to get excited about over the current Bold offerings. The majority of the elder states business people that have bolds, won't touch the screen. Those the want to can. So there is the best of both worlds... Touch or no touch...
    I'm really going to have to chalk that up to the limited time with the device, I've seen people miss handle Androids (of all types), iPhones and Palm WebOS devices and launch apps by accident. But I myself am pretty pumped for this device for my return back to Blackberry.
    07-13-11 11:41 AM
    I'm really going to have to chalk that up to the limited time with the device, I've seen people miss handle Androids (of all types), iPhones and Palm WebOS devices and launch apps by accident. But I myself am pretty pumped for this device for my return back to Blackberry.
    Maybe so, but if you have big clumsy fingers, look out.

RIM also made it very clear that these phones are the last of the java phones, as they move to QNX phones. So why not wait another year for the QNX phones? Yes, I know another year may not come, and it appears OS7 will have a very short shelf life.
    07-13-11 12:06 PM
    I am FAR from sure if a QNX phone is something to wait for! It could be the 9900 on OS7 is the last of the most dependable RIM handhelds until about 2015 when they get the bugs worked out of it and the PlayBook!
    07-13-11 12:23 PM
    I am FAR from sure if a QNX phone is something to wait for! It could be the 9900 on OS7 is the last of the most dependable RIM handhelds until about 2015 when they get the bugs worked out of it and the PlayBook!
    Just my thoughts exactly. Thinking of moving to iphone directly ...
    07-13-11 12:52 PM
    Just my thoughts exactly. Thinking of moving to iphone directly ...
    If it were not for the inferior notification system that Apple uses on it's iPhones, I would use my iPhone 4 all the time. Apple just can't get it right on this one feature. They are slick devices.
    07-13-11 01:08 PM
    If it were not for the inferior notification system that Apple uses on it's iPhones, I would use my iPhone 4 all the time. Apple just can't get it right on this one feature. They are slick devices.
    Wait until iOS 5, which notifications are much better.
    The_PLBs likes this.
    07-13-11 01:26 PM
    Wait until iOS 5, which notifications are much better.
    I would like to hope so as I will get the iPhone 5 but I have waited so long I feel like I am waiting for a budget from Congress

They did give us repeated notifications with the last update but if I did not hear the notification the first time, why do they think I will the 2nd and 3rd time?

Blackberry has spoiled me!
    07-13-11 01:35 PM
    I'm always glued to my 9780 but I can't wait to get my hands on this. I get tired of phones quickly, I'm seriously in need of a replacement.

On the other hand, iOS 5 does have an imporoved notifications system. You can dump your current blobs & test out the leaked BETAs.

07-13-11 01:49 PM
    Maybe so, but if you have big clumsy fingers, look out.

RIM also made it very clear that these phones are the last of the java phones, as they move to QNX phones. So why not wait another year for the QNX phones? Yes, I know another year may not come, and it appears OS7 will have a very short shelf life.
    Maybe, with the exception of the 9000 series though, how can someone with big hands deal with such a small keyboard? Just a matter of getting used to it and being comfortable with it. Same, I would think, goes for the touchscreen.

And QNX to me seems like its something Blackberry loyalists in general have been waiting for. But from what I gather QNX is just Android for Blackberry users exception being security and their data servers. I really can't imagine what more can be done with QNX from a consumer stand point that Android or iOS does already. Most people on here like the Playbook simply for QNX, I like it mainly for its size. I only dropped my blackberry because the web browser was horrendous, I've had both iPhones and Android devices, but all I do on my phone really is email, text, check news and some social network stuff. Granted the multimedia and apps and stuff is great, but I'm hardly in situations that allow me to sit and just watch a movie on my phone for extended periods of time. QNX will be great on handsets, but its not enough for me at this point to wait for one.
    07-13-11 01:49 PM
    Attempting to go back on topic: Dawgman, any updates about the battery life? I figure that you must've at least charged it twice by now
    07-13-11 02:24 PM
    Attempting to go back on topic: Dawgman, any updates about the battery life? I figure that you must've at least charged it twice by now
    I too would like to know how the battery life is, thanks!
    07-13-11 02:56 PM
308 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD