Kill'in Me
    I have such a hard-on for this phone!
    Man I hope they don't keep delaying it like they have in the past.
    07-10-11 10:26 PM
    Damn I live in the middle of a large metro area and VZW blast 4G to the max. I cant wait for a 9930 to replace my tour(trac ball) its hard to keep calm about it lol. Specally afetr a nice bottle of Tempranillo
    07-10-11 10:43 PM
    Damn I live in the middle of a large metro area and VZW blast 4G to the max. I cant wait for a 9930 to replace my tour(trac ball) its hard to keep calm about it lol. Specally afetr a nice bottle of Tempranillo
    what does this have to do with the 9930?
    07-10-11 11:10 PM
    Kill'in Me
    I have such a hard-on for this phone!
    Man I hope they don't keep delaying it like they have in the past.
    cold shower???
    07-10-11 11:17 PM
    @dawg - coincidentally I'm using AT&T too and would gladly take that Bold 9900 off your hands. If you aren't willing to part with it, can you have your friend send me one?
    07-10-11 11:48 PM
    what does this have to do with the 9930?
    seriously! the closest to 4g anyone will see will be on the 9900 in ATT and Tmo (HSDPA)
    07-11-11 12:15 AM
    When was the last time anyone was seriously conflicted about which of the pending RIM releases to choose? 9900 or Torch 2? Or any other manufacturer's phones for that matter? This is a good problem to have. Part of what has been disconcerting in all of the wailing, hand-wringing, and gnashing of teeth over RIM's predicament and their need to release some game-changing, radically different handset is that I quite like the game I have been playing with RIM for years and years. I just want the game to be smoother and faster. I want them to keep what works, like the ultimate killer keyboard in 9000 and the versatility of the touchsreen/keypad/keyboard of the Torch. My sense is that these are precisely the things a lot of RIM customers want, with new age specs. But these are not what the media reviewers and critics will be looking for. The critics and reviewers don't buy the phones and maybe we will find out once and for all that they don't move the market. I expect that some in the press will ridicule the new releases as both too little too late and hopelessly Old School in appearance. But if these things work like the early returns suggest. . . . . .
    07-11-11 12:36 AM
    the press wants to hate on someone, so they'll find or fabricate reasons to hate.

But i can tell you from 1st hand experience, there's nothing not to love about this Bold, it's so smooth.

The best thing i can say is this phone doesn't get in your way, its not like other phones that just feel like an end rather than a means to an end.
    07-11-11 01:31 AM
    cold shower???
    Daily trackball massage.
    07-11-11 02:43 AM
    So Does it have wifi Hotspots?
    NO!

says so in a half dozen threads, NO wifi hotspot software in any of the known devices in the wild
    hotspot seems that it will require to be pushed from the carrier via service book almost. sucks that its not in the leak OS builds themselves
    Good god.

Look, there is a frappin' file in many, many leaked OSes. Here's what it's named:

net_rim_wlan_apmode_options.cod

So, YES, there is the CAPABILITY of acting as a WiFi access point.

The big question is how/if/when this capability will be enabled. My strong suspicion is that it will be controlled by carrier service books. But just like the whole AT&T BB Maps debacle, someone will find a way to enable the dang thing.

So, can we all talk about something else now?
    PiotrJot likes this.
    07-11-11 03:06 AM
    I have no idea, mine just arrived via UPS over night shipping from a friend. Maybe you need better friends. LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Can I know your friend?
    07-11-11 04:17 AM
    LOL, in your opinion.
    Yep my opinion and my 9900.

My cat would whip your dogs a$$!
    07-11-11 05:07 AM
    Need to ask the 9900 owners......Is there a lanyard hole to hook in a Lanyard ? Not that I use it, but I need one to be there , else I am not buying the phone.
    07-11-11 05:50 AM
    When was the last time anyone was seriously conflicted about which of the pending RIM releases to choose? 9900 or Torch 2? Or any other manufacturer's phones for that matter? This is a good problem to have. Part of what has been disconcerting in all of the wailing, hand-wringing, and gnashing of teeth over RIM's predicament and their need to release some game-changing, radically different handset is that I quite like the game I have been playing with RIM for years and years. I just want the game to be smoother and faster. I want them to keep what works, like the ultimate killer keyboard in 9000 and the versatility of the touchsreen/keypad/keyboard of the Torch. My sense is that these are precisely the things a lot of RIM customers want, with new age specs. But these are not what the media reviewers and critics will be looking for. The critics and reviewers don't buy the phones and maybe we will find out once and for all that they don't move the market. I expect that some in the press will ridicule the new releases as both too little too late and hopelessly Old School in appearance. But if these things work like the early returns suggest. . . . . .
    I hate the word game-changing lol. its flow way to easily on the net these days. otherwise, you know they are going to hate this device on three things.. well four things if you count that its not an apple phone.

1. Not having QNX - for some reason this phone will need qnx or it wont be good enough even though they probably gave qnx a bit of a beating when releasd on the playbook - totally different beasts for now.
    2. not enough apps.
    3. small screen even though in this form factor, you're getting the benefits of a keyboard. you gotta sacrifice something. But then there's the torch 2 so if you want a bigger screen u got it. if you want just a touch only device you got the touch only "torch" coming too so I think rim have all bases covered with good hardware to boot. They will be pulling at straws to come up with something to nag about. Lets just hope battery life is reasonable (should be good)

otherwise to the op thanks for the opinion of the device. I recently got a 9780 so unfortunately I won't be getting this phone anytime soon though that's okay, I do love my 9780 just wish it had the hardware like the 9900 (don't really care for the touch screen)
    Last edited by zensen; 07-11-11 at 07:10 AM.
    07-11-11 07:04 AM
    "game changing".... I agree. That word is overused.

And when did "That said, ......." get started? My dad used that phrase a lot in the 70's when it was used only by intellectuals, authors and such.

When I first heard someone use the phrase in casual discourse (maybe 1998?), I was thinking, "ha! That dude sounds like my dad!".

Now, it is at the tips of everyone's tongue.

Anyway, QNX or not, the 9900 better have a reasonable browser or it will be officially not-much-better than my 9650.
    07-11-11 07:12 AM
    As a long time BB user and current VZW iPhone 4 user, I cannot wait for the 9930 to hit VZW so I can complement my iPhone 4. I definitely hope RIM gets back on track and I hope this is the beginning.
    07-11-11 07:13 AM
    How did RIM get it "right"?

Does it have a front facing camera? I'm curios as if they are going to allow us to vide chat with playbook owners? It seems to me that they should be self-promoting their own feature set amongst their products.

If by getting it right means they have a touch screen, I seem to think that's getting it wrong. I've yet to seem a Torch user use the on screen keyboard, and rarely "touch" the screen to do anything... I think the vast majority of BB users want to touch the keyboard, not the screen. it comes from years on thumb scrolling and keyboard typing...

Just sayin...

-Cal
    07-11-11 07:24 AM
    Need to ask the 9900 owners......Is there a lanyard hole to hook in a Lanyard ? Not that I use it, but I need one to be there , else I am not buying the phone.
    If you're not going to use it, why do you need it there?
    Sorry there is no lanyard hole.

AT&T charges for tethering!
    ritesh likes this.
    I wish I had a friend like DawgMan that would just UPS me a 9900...
    07-11-11 07:25 AM
    Sorry there is no lanyard hole.

AT&T charges for tethering!
    at&t probably will start charging for mentioning their name....
    austriker likes this.
    07-11-11 07:26 AM

Does it have a front facing camera? I'm curios as if they are going to allow us to vide chat with playbook owners? It seems to me that they should be self-promoting their own feature set amongst their products.

If by getting it right means they have a touch screen, I seem to think that's getting it wrong. I've yet to seem a Torch user use the on screen keyboard, and rarely "touch" the screen to do anything... I think the vast majority of BB users want to touch the keyboard, not the screen. it comes from years on thumb scrolling and keyboard typing...

Just sayin...

-Cal
    Just sayin, till you have tried one don't make such judgements. This IS a landmark Blackberry, even if it does not impress you, just watch what it does to the others.
    07-11-11 07:28 AM
    If you're not going to use it, why do you need it there?
    So that I have the option of putting a cellphone charm, if the need arises
    07-11-11 07:32 AM

Just sayin...

-Cal
    Front facing Camera is pretty low on my priority of smartphone features

On screen keyboards suck
    Touch interface is a compliment to a keyboard, many things are made easier with the ability to multi touch AND trackpad navigate, and have a keyboard.

Even without holding this device, it is the perfect device for anyone who used to have the Palm Treo and loved it.

john_v likes this.
    07-11-11 07:37 AM
    So that I have the option of putting a cellphone charm, if the need arises
    Lol!! I really lol'd when I read that

07-11-11 07:38 AM
308 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD