So I received a package in the mail this morning and what was inside you ask. Well, it was a nice, new BlackBerry 9900. I have to say that after reading the information that was posted by greggebhardt is 100% accurate.

After just a few minutes with the 9900, I could tell this was a winner. RIM knocked it out of the park on this device. There are so many positives, it really is hard to tell where to begin.

The look; very sleek and thin. The stainless steel that surrounds the entire unit really adds to the visual beauty of the 9900.

As I mentioned, the 9900 is rather thin when compared to previous BB devices. However, don't confuse thin with flimsy or cheap. The 9900 while thin has definite feeling of sturdiness while being very light weight.

The display while not retina like the iPhone, it is bright, clear and crisp.

The keyboard is very spacious and a pleasure to type on. The keys are not overly stiff and definitely not mushy. I recall when I first switched to the 9700/9780 I initially thought the keyboard was small and cramped. I later became accustomed to it and learned to use it rather well. It's a nice feeling to be back on the wider keyboard of the old 9000.

The touch screen, is well...amazing. It is nothing like the Storm or Torch, lets be honest, those pretty much suck. This touch screen is very smooth, fluid and responsive to the user. It really does compliment the keyboard rather than compete with it.

Call quality is very good and stable. The device is very fast and transistions qiute easily, the 1.2 ghz processor is huge step forward and long overdue.

To all of you (myself included) that hated the scrolling dock and trays that were introduced in OS 6, where we had to deal with "All, Favorites, Media, Downloads and Frequent". OS 7 has resolved that by allowing the user to select what docks will be used. The screens are easily customizable to eliminate that OS 6 disaster.

A few last minute items, this review is simply based upon my experience using the device today. I am not an employee of RIM and have not benefitted by writing this. I'm just giving my 2 cents on the 9900.

Pics will follow.
    DJBS4LIFE, Mvor7, livejam and 33 others like this.
    07-09-11 05:58 PM

I apologize for the poor picture quality.
    Last edited by DawgMan; 07-09-11 at 06:07 PM.
    m23haz, Mvor7, LikeWebOS and 5 others like this.
    07-09-11 06:00 PM

To all of you (myself included) that hated the scrolling dock and trays that were introduced in OS 6, where we had to deal with "All, Favorites, Media, Downloads and Frequent". OS 7 has resolved that by allowing the user to select what docks will be used. The screens are easily customizable to eliminate that OS 6 disaster.
    Thank god!!
    07-09-11 06:06 PM
    Too bad it's too late for RIM to "get it right". Btw how are people getting these phones?
    07-09-11 06:09 PM
    i hate you in the nicest way possible ^_^ i want onnnnnnne
    07-09-11 06:09 PM
    lol how you snag that man?
    07-09-11 06:10 PM
    Too bad it's too late for RIM to "get it right". Btw how are people getting these phones?
    Now why would someone who stated Too bad it's too late for RIM to "get it right". Be concerned how people are getting these phones?
    07-09-11 06:14 PM
    By you owning one and posting here has really made my day. Woooot! Congrats!
    07-09-11 06:15 PM
    lol how you snag that man?
    The planets were properly aligned.
    sf49ers likes this.
    07-09-11 06:15 PM
    It's never to late in life to do anything!!!
    Mvor7, valtter, meganVee and 2 others like this.
    07-09-11 06:16 PM
    It's only too late if they fold up their tent and quit, which they currently don't have any interest in doing. Rock solid devices is what they need, and it appears they are getting ready to put on the market. Maybe it's too bad in your opinion, but I know a number of people clamoring for this unit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-11 06:17 PM
    All sounds very positive!
    07-09-11 06:18 PM
    By you owning one and posting here has really made my day. Woooot! Congrats!
    Thank you. Believe me, my day was made this morning when it was delivered.
    DJBS4LIFE likes this.
    07-09-11 06:18 PM
    It's only too late if they fold up their tent and quit, which they currently don't have any interest in doing. Rock solid devices is what they need, and it appears they are getting ready to put on the market. Maybe it's too bad in your opinion, but I know a number of people clamoring for this unit.

**** yea!!! Me too! I know tons of friends who cannot wait to get the all touch or the new bold. That even includes people with iphone and androids that I know. Trust me.. Lots of people are excited =)
    07-09-11 06:19 PM
    Thank you. Believe me, my day was made this morning when it was delivered.
    Man.. I can only imagine lol. My 9650 is always glued to my hands and I love it. I can imagine how bad my CrackBerry addiction will be when I purchase a new one coming hahaha.
    CaptainGoodnight likes this.
    07-09-11 06:21 PM
    Thanks for your detailed review DawgMan. I'm excited to get my hands on this device. So far all I have heard is positive reception on it with a few issues here and there people are having (most of which will be polished out).

As a Storm 1/2 user from the beginning, I was looking forward to the Monaco/9850. Now I'm leaning more towards the 9930. It will be a tough decision indeed.
    07-09-11 06:23 PM
    I just want to stress again that the review is solely based upon my opinion. I'm not saying that the 9900 will cure cancer, end world hunger or anything like that. I'm simply saying that given the current state of RIM, they needed a winning line up of new devices and this is a huge step in that direction.
    purijagmohan, suself and john_v like this.
    07-09-11 06:25 PM
    Thanks for your detailed review DawgMan. I'm excited to get my hands on this device. So far all I have heard is positive reception on it with a few issues here and there people are having (most of which will be polished out).

As a Storm 1/2 user from the beginning, I was looking forward to the Monaco/9850. Now I'm leaning more towards the 9930. It will be a tough decision indeed.
    I had both a Storm 1 and Torch and the touch screen responsiveness on this is light years ahead of those devices. "Liquid Graphics" on this device is so smooth and fluid.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    07-09-11 06:28 PM
    I just want to stress again that the review is solely based upon my opinion. I'm not saying that the 9900 will cure cancer, end world hunger or anything like that. I'm simply saying that given the current state of RIM, they needed a winning line up of new devices and this is a huge step in that direction.
    Man, I don't disagree. But get the phones released for gods sake! All these videos, reviews, people with 'mates' in the industry can get them. Very frustrating.
    07-09-11 06:29 PM
    You are fortunate to state that you received a bold 9900 but I have to say that although the 9900 may be superior to the Torch, the Torch touch screen is the best to date on a blackberry and the keyboard is clearly BB quality.
    I will seriously consider the Bold Touch but I do love the Torch. As of today, the Torch is the fastest and has the biggest and most responsive display outside the Storm and I must say, the touchscreen experience on that device did need improvements.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 07-09-11 at 06:54 PM.
    anon(73368) likes this.
    07-09-11 06:38 PM
    I had both a Storm 1 and Torch and the touch screen responsiveness on this is light years ahead of those devices. "Liquid Graphics" on this device is so smooth and fluid.
    Absolutely. The fact that most of their new phones support a touch interface and they stress it means they're more confident now. With their flagship Bold having it now, they sure as **** will not have it compromise the experience. It's as if the Storm and Torch were a test run to get it polished and right before the Bold received it.

Hardware accelerated graphics were always a requirement IMO for a smooth/seamless touch experience. Now that they have it, I am much more impressed and it puts the UI at the level of iOS/WP7.

I can't say the same for the old architecture of BBOS, but they are doing a lot of things to somewhat remedy the shortcomings. More app storage memory and higher download attachments/download capacities (courtesy of BIS 4.1) to name a few.

Thanks again DawgMan. Question...how has the battery been for you? Can you say you can comfortably make it a FULL day (i.e. 8am - midnight) with moderate to heavy usage? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    07-09-11 06:41 PM
    You are fortunate to state that you received a bold 9900 but I have to say that although the 9900 may be superior to the Torch, the Torch touch screen is the best to date on a blackberry and the keyboard is clearly BB quality.
    I will seriously consider the Bold Touch but I do love the Torch. As of today, the Torch is the fastest and has the biggest and most responsive display outside the Storm and I must say, that touchscreen experience on that device did need improvements.
    It is already clear by videos that the 99xx touch experience is better than the Torch 9800s. It is smoother, faster, and more responsive. Having said that, I think the Torch 2 (9810) looks to be close, if not match that of the 99xx. I think you will appreciate the 9810 if the slider form factor is what you prefer.
    07-09-11 06:44 PM
    Man, I don't disagree. But get the phones released for gods sake! All these videos, reviews, people with 'mates' in the industry can get them. Very frustrating.
    It's the Carriers for SURE keeping these phones out of our hands!
    It seems these ones in the wild all are running OS's that are weeks if not a month old, saying that they must be in approval stages and the Carriers are taking their time for some reason
    ( I suspect NFC being the reason)

@DawgMan
    What OS version is yours running .176??
    07-09-11 06:50 PM
    What about the browser? How do you like it?

07-09-11 07:05 PM
    So I received a package in the mail this morning and what was inside you ask. Well, it was a nice, new BlackBerry 9900. I have to say that after reading the information that was posted by greggebhardt is 100% accurate.

After just a few minutes with the 9900, I could tell this was a winner. RIM knocked it out of the park on this device. There are so many positives, it really is hard to tell where to begin.

The look; very sleek and thin. The stainless steel that surrounds the entire unit really adds to the visual beauty of the 9900.

As I mentioned, the 9900 is rather thin when compared to previous BB devices. However, don't confuse thin with flimsy or cheap. The 9900 while thin has definite feeling of sturdiness while being very light weight.

The display while not retina like the iPhone, it is bright, clear and crisp.

The keyboard is very spacious and a pleasure to type on. The keys are not overly stiff and definitely not mushy. I recall when I first switched to the 9700/9780 I initially thought the keyboard was small and cramped. I later became accustomed to it and learned to use it rather well. It's a nice feeling to be back on the wider keyboard of the old 9000.

The touch screen, is well...amazing. It is nothing like the Storm or Torch, lets be honest, those pretty much suck. This touch screen is very smooth, fluid and responsive to the user. It really does compliment the keyboard rather than compete with it.

Call quality is very good and stable. The device is very fast and transistions qiute easily, the 1.2 ghz processor is huge step forward and long overdue.

A few last minute items, this review is simply based upon my experience using the device today. I am not an employee of RIM and have not benefitted by writing this. I'm just giving my 2 cents on the 9900.

Pics will follow.
    Do you mind sharing what network you are on? I'm curious to know if it is HSPA and what kind of speeds you are getting.

Thanks and enjoy for all of us waiting sheeps.

07-09-11 07:20 PM
308 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD