+1000 for File Scout! SOooo much usefulness!! Losing Dropbox hurt, but not dev's fault.
    11-17-19 12:25 AM
    Can’t believe there be any decent batteries after all these years on Amazon or eBay. I’ve ordered several over the years and half of them don’t work at least. They’ve usually been sitting so long that they are depleted so badly you get the red x And some are beyond recovery in my experience.
    11-17-19 12:34 AM
    Can’t believe there be any decent batteries after all these years on Amazon or eBay. I’ve ordered several over the years and half of them don’t work at least.
    I had much more luck. Out of 15 batteries ordered recently only 2 were depleted beyond repair and needed to be thrown away. One or two others didn't look good at first but after a while they work just great.

Sent from my BB 9320 using CB Forums app on Bell Canada BIS
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    11-17-19 07:11 PM
    I had much more luck. Out of 15 batteries only 2 were depleted beyond repair and needed to be thrown away. One or two others didn't look good at first but after a while they work just great.

The gods are with you my friend.
    11-17-19 07:12 PM
    Once you manage to get a few spare batteries in proper working order it might be a good idea to have a standalone battery charger and keep recharging all those batteries about once a month. To see what I'm talking about google:

ACC-46742-201 battery charger

That particular model is for JS1 battery (for BB 9320 and BB 9720) but a similar one should also be available for JM1 batteries used in BB 9900.

RaybanRJ likes this.
    11-17-19 07:32 PM
    Once you manage to get a few spare batteries in proper working order it might be a good idea to have a standalone battery charger and keep recharging all those batteries about once a month. To see what I'm talking about google:

ACC-46742-201 battery charger

That particular model is for JS1 battery (for BB 9320 and BB 9720) but a similar one should also be available for JM1 batteries used in BB 9900.

Absolutely. Here is the cheap Chinese wall charger I use for that purpose and you can see it has adjustable contact points so it could be used with many older Samsung devices or any phone where the battery could be removed. If my photos worked, you can see the date of manufacturing on my batteries
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    11-17-19 07:39 PM
    Date of manufacturing? Is it 2013-03-14 and 2015-02-06 on your photos? This would partially explain my luck, as I have a few batteries with the date stamp of 16-09-12 and one with 16-11-22, so they were just over two years old when I got them . I also have four batteries stamped 16-03-08 which I was able to trace to this outfit on eBay (replace underscores with dots to get the proper url):

www_ebay_ca/usr/techgadgetsforless

The batteries I got from them were sealed in antistatic pouch, like a hard drive. They are JS1, but JM1 batteries are available as well (for BB 9900). This reseller is easy to spot because of their distinct logo with Canadian flag:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/9827/HITKYZ.png

Anyone considering buying a battery online please remember that due to some safety regulations all batteries must be shipped completely discharged. It is safe to assume that all batteries were discharged when they were originally shipped by the manufacturer a few years ago and never charged since then. So when they are placed in the phone for the first time a "no battery" warning is not unusual and nothing to worry about. A first charge performed in an external charger like the ones discussed in previous two posts usually solves the problem. Chemistry is not a binary science, there are lots of shades of grey. Some batteries survive a prolonged discharged state better than others.
    Last edited by Lex24; 11-18-19 at 02:22 AM.
    RaybanRJ and Ursus Rufus like this.
    11-18-19 12:24 AM
    Date of manufacturing? Is it 2013-03-14 and 2015-02-06 on your photos?

I believe so yes.
    11-18-19 12:29 AM
    My company procured a couple hundred of ASY-18976-003 stand alone battery chargers for JM1 long, long, ago... lol. also similar number of ASY-14396-015 desktop charging pods. A couple dozen of each have long resided on breakroom table top. While plenty of coffee gets consumed there, the activity is rarely called a "coffee break". Most typically called a " battery break". lol Really hard working 99's can be ready for battery restore by mid-morning... lol. unless, of course, extended batts are leveraged.

See Mugen 3600mah monster in photo below being charged in ASY-18976-003. That charger has had the lid removed to make room for the monster battery. Some chargers required pocket knife modding to accommodate Seidio extended as well as the nameless 5000mah super monsters I posted about a few years ago. My 5000mah "Horse" is the only one of those that didn't die prematurely. That single example still delivers a solid three day weekend of endurance! go figure. lol.

Life just wouldn't seem right without these chargers stationed EVERY where... bedside, living room, bathroom, vehicles (including back seat lol).... most co-workers have a spare on the desk in their cubicle for visiting co-workers... an etiquette has evolved around the things! lol.

Typical motel desk, for me...
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20191118_0532495.jpg  
    Last edited by idssteve; 11-18-19 at 07:02 AM.
    RaybanRJ and Ursus Rufus like this.
    11-18-19 06:19 AM
    Forgot to mention the ASY-18976-003 in the breakroom freezer... for really stubborn batts... lol. Never really worked for me but a few around here swear that freezer charging has helped at least a few times... Haven't really pondered why that might be but... fwiw... lol.
    11-18-19 06:53 AM
    Typical motel desk, for me...
    Pic not loading for me :/
    11-18-19 08:41 AM
    I think for long term storage it's best not to fully charge them.... keep them at about 60% and maybe rotate them around every six months.

As for the freezer... I've seen a lot of folk that swear by it, and other that say it doesn't work. I you battery is dead... what can it hurt. Just wouldn't put good batteries in the freezer.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    11-18-19 08:57 AM
    Pic not loading for me :/
    hmm... photo was snapped & posted thru browser on my K2LE... maybe that's what I get for using droid to post on bold forum? Lol. idk... loads fine on my 99's Opera Mini... ??? I'll try re-posting from 99...
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    11-18-19 09:26 AM
    I think for long term storage it's best not to fully charge them.... keep them at about 60% and maybe rotate them around every six months.

As for the freezer... I've seen a lot of folk that swear by it, and other that say it doesn't work. I you battery is dead... what can it hurt. Just wouldn't put good batteries in the freezer.
    Good advice... much of Li-Ion "capacity" ratings might be considered "over capacity" by charging to voltages that are destructive, long run. The things need some occasional equalizing (depending on BMI strategies) but best to discharge to about 60% before long term storage. as you said.

I've heard that even a week at 100% starts to break things down. idk... mine are swapped out for routine powering and almost never stay charged more than a day, or so. they're virtually never charged thru the phone itself so... maybe that's why my batts last "forever" ? we still bump in to the oem JM1 that carries unique scars from sharing my pocket with a toolbox key... that battery came with my 9930... 8 yrs ago... lol. go figure. industry is still steep in Li-Ion learning curve. lol.

I've never done the freezer charge myself and certainly do NOT recommend anyone else attempt it. classic AYOR disclaimer applies. lol.

just relaying what others have done. I'd say it sounds like it might've helped less than 10% of cases. ?? Our breakroom freezer gets used more for chilling parts to assist interference assembly than for food items. lol. Never heard of one going "thermonuclear" in a freezer but certainly wouldn't want to consume contaminated food items near by... lol.

The engineer in me would caution to keep things arranged so that power can be disconnected without opening freezer door. If suspecting something spectacular is happening in the freezer box, best to keep it contained in the freezer box. Opening the freezer door will expose what ever might be happening to additional oxygen... possibly YouTube worthy? hehe...

Just be aware of fire hazard, food contamination, possible flash & fume hazards, etc, etc... iow, ayor!
    Last edited by idssteve; 11-18-19 at 10:15 AM. Reason: damned LE "auto incorrect" lol.
    11-18-19 10:10 AM
    hmm... photo was snapped & posted thru browser on my K2LE... maybe that's what I get for using droid to post on bold forum? Lol. idk... loads fine on my 99's Opera Mini... ??? I'll try re-posting from 99...
    I’m sure in the browser it works fine it’s probably just my iPhone, and I’m using the Tapatalk iOS app so
    11-18-19 10:51 AM
    I’m sure in the browser it works fine it’s probably just my iPhone, and I’m using the Tapatalk iOS app so
    hmm... curious. maybe that's what happens when a photo taken on a BBdroid is posted thru Firefox in a bbos dedicated forum and then attempted viewing on iOS? hehe... Might end up leaning on your combination of Bold & iOS experience when I migrate some day, Ralph. lol.

The ONLY thing keeping me in droid is LE's PKB. And that is handicapped, if not crippled, by stupidly grotesque slab think oversize! lol. I'm reminded how stupidly huge the thing is everytime my old arthritic thumb stretches to reach the far TWO columns of keys! At least hundreds of times per day! lol.

and THEN this never to be cussed sufficiently "auto MISS-spell" keeps slipping in its own words! I KNOW what I want to say and how to SPELL it! I don't want a machine un-doing that for me. I KNOW I long pressed "A" at the start of this paragraph! Too irritated with this amateurish nonsense to edit the phreeking thing... sorry to all. I MISS MY TRACKPAD!!! lol.

Also i'm not practiced at looking while typing! Reading and checking each word while typing just to be sure this goophy droid is entering what I type is straining these old eyes!! ug!!! They are already tiring at noontime!! Everyone keeps saying it learns and gets better with experience... I'm facing retirement! How many years must this thing torture me until it achieves 4th grade spelling/compsition level? ug!! lol. Better yet, how do I shut the phreeking "auto MISS spell" OFF so that it STAYS off? ?? !!! So many things I set and customize magically end up un-done!! After os upgrade maybe?? idk...

I do know that if 9930 weren't tempting me from the other hand to type this, I'd still find it irritating. and likely ponder just why PKB?

just replied to a client 10 time zones away. With 9900... those unlucky masses who've no clue 9900 even exists will never know what they never knew. lol.
    11-18-19 12:51 PM
    The phones of the past are beautiful again ;-)

11-19-19 12:03 AM
    The phones of the past are beautiful again ;-)
    At lest if you remove all the buttons.....

Clamshell form factor does work well with the folding technology.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    11-19-19 10:22 AM
    Mispost
    Last edited by RaybanRJ; 11-20-19 at 01:06 AM.
    11-19-19 10:42 AM
    What OS is operating that folder's "front" screen? Surely not droid? Put a 9900 KB/toolbelt under that front screen and it'd have my interest! In fact, fit a stripped down 9900 into the front and you'd have the best of dual carry in a single handset! Full time shortcut & speed dial availability, compact form factor, etc... Then, for the 3 times per week I feel like suffering Google's Gargantuanism, the thing can be opened to a gargantuan FF. Best of all worlds? Lol.

Oh well... As that "Demon of Screamin'" proclaims.. "Dream On"... !!! Haha
    11-19-19 12:29 PM
    Well looks like I posted that in the wrong forum. Yeah I got a new iPhone 8 a few days ago
    11-19-19 03:22 PM
    There is certainly something to be said for removable batteries like in the 9900......

11-23-19 01:26 AM
    There is certainly something to be said for removable batteries like in the 9900......

Yep. They are so far from reality. Pride comes before the fall.
    11-28-19 10:00 AM
    hmm... curious. maybe that's what happens when a photo taken on a BBdroid is posted thru Firefox in a bbos dedicated forum and then attempted viewing on iOS? hehe... Might end up leaning on your combination of Bold & iOS experience when I migrate some day, Ralph. lol.

The ONLY thing keeping me in droid is LE's PKB. And that is handicapped, if not crippled, by stupidly grotesque slab think oversize! lol. I'm reminded how stupidly huge the thing is everytime my old arthritic thumb stretches to reach the far TWO columns of keys! At least hundreds of times per day! lol.

and THEN this never to be cussed sufficiently "auto MISS-spell" keeps slipping in its own words! I KNOW what I want to say and how to SPELL it! I don't want a machine un-doing that for me. I KNOW I long pressed "A" at the start of this paragraph! Too irritated with this amateurish nonsense to edit the phreeking thing... sorry to all. I MISS MY TRACKPAD!!! lol.

Also i'm not practiced at looking while typing! Reading and checking each word while typing just to be sure this goophy droid is entering what I type is straining these old eyes!! ug!!! They are already tiring at noontime!! Everyone keeps saying it learns and gets better with experience... I'm facing retirement! How many years must this thing torture me until it achieves 4th grade spelling/compsition level? ug!! lol. Better yet, how do I shut the phreeking "auto MISS spell" OFF so that it STAYS off? ?? !!! So many things I set and customize magically end up un-done!! After os upgrade maybe?? idk...

I do know that if 9930 weren't tempting me from the other hand to type this, I'd still find it irritating. and likely ponder just why PKB?

just replied to a client 10 time zones away. With 9900... those unlucky masses who've no clue 9900 even exists will never know what they never knew. lol.
    This. This. This.

Describes me & my big arthritic paws using my KeyONE compared to Agent 99
    idssteve likes this.
    11-28-19 10:02 AM

Still a couple around I guess
    12-12-19 03:34 PM
8,754 ... 342343344345346 ...