Still keep contacts on one as it can export them all at once with nfc, miss that feature.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-17 01:37 AM
    Well... I swallowed hard and placed the order. Sometime in the near future, I'll be migrating from my beloved Passport SE to an LG V20. Why: BBM Protected is dying, and the geniuses in Waterloo saw fit not to include some great existing BBM features in the new "BBM Enterprise," leaving me with the need for an enterprise-encrypted, full-featured messaging app and no alternatives for BlackBerry 10. I never would have considered Android before 6.0 (where they finally decided to let you control permissions), and am loath to use it now; but the V20 has some "Bold"-ish features I'll never get on an iPhone: First, there's a small, always-on strip screen at the top of the display. When the main screen is off, the strip screen shows (among other things) your notifications! The message light taken one step further! Second... wait for it, Steve... it has a removable battery! -- and you can buy a fat-back for it, as well! Finally, LG is one of the OEMs that actually gets security updates from Satan's minions in Mountain View.

Farewell, BlackBerry 10. I really loved you.

Do I even need to come right out and write that I'm keeping the Bold (actually... I have two) ?? Well, I am. For shizzle.
    It's inevitable, of course, but it's still startling when a BlackBerry stalwart like yourself is finally forced to acquiesce and use an Android or iPhone.

I've enjoyed using a Moto E4 more than I thought I would, but as soon as I'm done making my YouTube review of it, I'm moving on, because it doesn't receive regular security updates.

Android still has some fundamental issues I don't like, but it really has come a long way over the last couple years.
    David Tyler likes this.
    10-18-17 08:55 AM
    Quite the shame watching their self destruction inflicted with such systematic proficiency over these years. It's as if their every
    chromosome is dedicated to the proposition that they'll achieve Apple-droid success if they can achieve adequate amateurism. Lol.

I'm doing my best to wrap my mind (and HAND lol) around my new K1. Started to post this on it but wanted to finish this late breakfast so... back on "Ol' lefty" 99. Lol. Omelet was getting cold occupying fork hand with that two handed K. K1 is NOT single handed friendly, imo. Do people designing these things ever USE them? Idk.

I DO know BB set a professional grade standard with 99 that, 6 yrs later, has yet to be challenged, much less surpassed. It's not for lack of technology. I'm convinced it's a conscious choice. To what motive? Mass insanity?? Lol. Idk. Ya know what they say when you start thinking everyone else is nuts... lol.

All I know is, i'd have to be nuts to convince myself I'm getting half as much of what I need to accomplish with this K as I get done with 99. The shame is that they've had 6 years to improve on their PROVEN success. They've shown no interest in even matching it. Imo.

Fortunately, 99 can still function as a typing terminal so... the adolescent "size envy" thing can manifest as secondary phablets. A reasonable, if not preferred, "two handed and a table top" solution.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-18-17 10:36 AM
    Quite the shame watching their self destruction inflicted with such systematic proficiency over these years. It's as if their every
    chromosome is dedicated to the proposition that they'll achieve Apple-droid success if they can achieve adequate amateurism. Lol.

I'm doing my best to wrap my mind (and HAND lol) around my new K1. Started to post this on it but wanted to finish this late breakfast so... back on "Ol' lefty" 99. Lol. Omelet was getting cold occupying fork hand with that two handed K. K1 is NOT single handed friendly, imo. Do people designing these things ever USE them? Idk.

I DO know BB set a professional grade standard with 99 that, 6 yrs later, has yet to be challenged, much less surpassed. It's not for lack of technology. I'm convinced it's a conscious choice. To what motive? Mass insanity?? Lol. Idk. Ya know what they say when you start thinking everyone else is nuts... lol.

All I know is, i'd have to be nuts to convince myself I'm getting half as much of what I need to accomplish with this K as I get done with 99. The shame is that they've had 6 years to improve on their PROVEN success. They've shown no interest in even matching it. Imo.

Fortunately, 99 can still function as a typing terminal so... the adolescent "size envy" thing can manifest as secondary phablets. A reasonable, if not preferred, "two handed and a table top" solution.
    It's not you. It's that the market shifted and left us behind. I was there with you. My 9900 was smaller than I remembered so a few months ago, I went backwards and bought a 9860. I already dual carry and thought I'd carry it with a KEYone. I never realized that I still used my secondary device for more than just text, calls and email.

I knew there was a problem when I had three devices with me. I would attempt to open links in emails on the 9860 and have issues. That was it for me. I'll be a KEYone and second Android device person dual carry. I still love BBOS7 and the problem is just the screen is too small. Maybe if they made a bigger device but now the ecosystem shifted to Android/IOS...... Maybe a KEYone sized device that ran BBOS7 years ago instead of the wasted effort on BB10.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-18-17 11:27 AM
    Well, can't speak for anyone else, but I'll still be using a true BlackBerry in 2020. None of this droidberry stuff. I may dual carry eventually, but one of those devices will be running bb7 or bb10.
    Ditto. I'm not interested in Blandroid. -- and, YES!! I'm Bold to the bitter end!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-18-17 11:49 AM
    Geez you guys, a few of you need to check your INBOXES

-Ralph
    10-18-17 12:16 PM

-Ralph
    RALPHIE!!!!!!!
    10-18-17 12:20 PM
    RALPHIE!!!!!!!
    An LG? Seriously!!! Lol ok ok no one should make fun of what others use in here

Starting....... NOW
    10-18-17 12:21 PM
    Quite the shame watching their self destruction inflicted with such systematic proficiency over these years.
    Indeed.

About size -- That's why I'll be rocking a Bold, as well, for the foreseeable future: The Passport, the LG V20, and all the other smartphones out there are actually "phablets," and that's just not convenient for everything. Big displays are fine, but you usually don't need or want something large enough to create a its own space-time distortion.
    10-18-17 12:28 PM
    ...Lol ok ok no one should make fun of what others use in here

Starting....... NOW
    ...aaaaaaaaand he's back!
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-18-17 12:30 PM

-Ralph
    via Imgflip Meme Generator
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-18-17 12:57 PM
    Indeed.

About size -- That's why I'll be rocking a Bold, as well, for the foreseeable future: The Passport, the LG V20, and all the other smartphones out there are actually "phablets," and that's just not convenient for everything. Big displays are fine, but you usually don't need or want something large enough to create a its own space-time distortion.
    HAHAHA! Reminded me of this scene:

10-18-17 01:02 PM
    Nice one, that about sums it up

So having some issues logging into the CB app on 9900 with the new account. If I recall you use the username and NOT email, correct? And are caps an issue?
    10-18-17 01:03 PM

-Ralph
    Ah! Welcome home! At least you're alive! Started to worry if you'd been kidnapped...!!! Lol. At least you're exercising free will...!! Lol.

I'm terrible about checking forum inbox, lol. Will do asap.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-18-17 01:47 PM
    Ah! Welcome home! At least you're alive! Started to worry if you'd been kidnapped...!!! Lol. At least you're exercising free will...!! Lol.

I'm terrible about checking forum inbox, lol. Will do asap.
    Yup you can call off the Canadian RCMP Search and Rescue Party there Steve

I tried BBM and had several issues, tried to message David or Dallin.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-18-17 01:53 PM
    HAHAHA! Reminded me of this scene:
    OMG

"Heed!!"

Stuart Mackenzie: Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including all the search engines and apps, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.

Tony Giardino: So who's in this Pentavirate?

Stuart Mackenzie: Zuckerberg, Page and Brin, Cheryl Sandberg, *and* Bill Gates before he went +i+s up. Oh, I hate Zuckerberg with his wee *beady* eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna waste your whole day on Facebook! Ohhhhh!"

Charlie Mackenzie: Dad, how can you hate Zuckerberg?

Stuart Mackenzie: Because he puts an addictive stuff in his software that makes ya crave looking at it every 10 seconds, smarta $ $!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by David Tyler; 10-18-17 at 02:52 PM.
    10-18-17 02:10 PM
    Glad to see you're back Ralph....
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-18-17 02:14 PM
    It's not you. It's that the market shifted and left us behind. I was there with you. My 9900 was smaller than I remembered so a few months ago, I went backwards and bought a 9860. I already dual carry and thought I'd carry it with a KEYone. I never realized that I still used my secondary device for more than just text, calls and email.

I knew there was a problem when I had three devices with me. I would attempt to open links in emails on the 9860 and have issues. That was it for me. I'll be a KEYone and second Android device person dual carry. I still love BBOS7 and the problem is just the screen is too small. Maybe if they made a bigger device but now the ecosystem shifted to Android/IOS...... Maybe a KEYone sized device that ran BBOS7 years ago instead of the wasted effort on BB10.
    Interesting. I guess it all depends on use case. My biggest complaint with my K1 (and Classic) is that it's TOO large for optimal PKB typing rate. I, myself, really don't need a very large screen to see what I'm typing (if I'm even looking). And trackpad scroll makes reading easy also. It's pretty rare that my documents can be viewed and read in full even on a monster like my D60. Typically forced to zoom and pan, anyway. At least most of the time. 99/Classic "i" & "o" zoom shortcuts and trackpad pan makes reading large documents in single hand MUCH easier & quicker than on my D60 or my K1. Or virtually ANYthing else I've tried.

I will say that for VKB typing, I get best rates on D60. Clearly, VKB is better on bigger screens. Never used a Torch more than a few minutes but can see where it would be cramped for VKB typing.

Problem with PKB typing is the "wiggle" induced into the handset by the forces and movements generated while pressing the physical keys. Stabilizing the chassis requires firm grasp by hand. Difficult to achieve optimal grasp when "hand" set dimensions exceed certain comfort limits of human hand. Classic and K1 both exceed that limit for me. My hands are larger than average.

A BIG part of what makes 9900 so spectacularly superb for typing is that it can be gasped on all four sides, simultaneously. Fastest single handed typing for me is achieved while grasping the 99 top and bottom with first finger on top, fourth finger under bottom. Second and third fingers back up far edge. Palm cradles near edge. This affords surprisingly solid grasp and control. Held this way, the entire handset can be precisely "rocked" side to side to afford more precise angle of approach for reaching the far columns of keys. A technique I simply can't employ on Classic or K simply because they're too tall for fingers comfortably grasp top & bottom.

BUT, I DO find use for monster sized screens at least a few days per week so... optimal for me, these days, is dual carry 99 for typing and a monster slab or phablet for viewing & browsing. Can't beat the total screenestate or typing rate of THAT combo...
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-18-17 at 03:14 PM.
    10-18-17 02:37 PM
    My passport is great for typing but, if naked, suffers from wiggle. The solution is for me to put it into a case. The added thickness, plus the soft "give" of the leather, help to stabilize the passport in hand and allow a matchless typing experience.

For naked use, I prefer my 9900.

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    idssteve likes this.
    10-18-17 03:05 PM
    Yup you can call off the Canadian RCMP Search and Rescue Party there Steve

I tried BBM and had several issues, tried to message David or Dallin.
    Haha... you mean they haven't found you YET? Lol...
    David Tyler and RaybanRJ like this.
    10-18-17 03:07 PM
    Glad to see you're back Ralph....
    Thnx dude.
    10-18-17 04:04 PM
    Haha... you mean they haven't found you YET? Lol...
    Well they might have found me but I'm "not all there"

Man the only shortcuts I think I ever use on the 99 is T for too and B for Bottom when page scrolling. There is an entire world I am missing.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-18-17 04:06 PM
    Also of interest I was charging my "newest" 99 battery on the BB Pod charger and it took 6.5 hours to charge from flashing RED. Going to run it out today and see what happens the next time. I guess time does affect Lithium batteries perhaps more than useage.

Now if I can only get my CB app on the 99 to recognize my new account I am rockin' again.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-18-17 04:09 PM
    Well they might have found me but I'm "not all there"

Man the only shortcuts I think I ever use on the 99 is T for too and B for Bottom when page scrolling. There is an entire world I am missing.
    Yeah, obviously "i" & "o" zoom are my faves. Even more so as eyes age. Lol. T & B are great. Also spacebar scroll works nicely when riding a bumpy bus. "n" for next and "p" for previous are great for browsing photos. Of course there's "r" for reload browser page. "y" for browsing history. "H" for home page. "W" for tabs.... etc.

Don't forget speed dial, also... long press dials assigned #. I set "p" to my most frequently called # and find it easiest by feel. "5" (D) is also easily found by feel.

Mobile communications technology has become integrated into our culture and lives and livelihoods. It's something most of us will spend a big part of our lives doing. Just as well learn to do it efficiently, imo. No better place to optimize communications efficiency than our 9900s, imo.
    10-18-17 04:43 PM

-Ralph
    Ralph...Welcome Back!
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-18-17 06:19 PM
8,754 ... 261262263264265 ...