I would try my 9900 out but I no longer have a BIS account. I understand there are work arounds but not worth the effort for me.

PS not a resurgence.

Posted via CB10
    I did not think about this. Ever since BB10, Ive forgotten all about BIS. I'm currently a Rogers customer, is this going to be an issue once I slide my sim into the 9900?
    05-18-16 10:03 PM
    I did not think about this. Ever since BB10, Ive forgotten all about BIS. I'm currently a Rogers customer, is this going to be an issue once I slide my sim into the 9900?
    I'm on Wind and I have no issues going back and forth. I bet Rogers has more enterprise customers than Wind, so I doubt there'll be a problem. Just remember to re-register the device, host routing table I think.
    05-18-16 10:46 PM
    The 9900 is beautiful. The best keybaord ever. They never made a BB10 (or Priv) with a keybaord even close to its league....
    Hey, hang on there! I quite like my 9900, but it is only the 2nd best keyboard here. As good as it is on my 9900, the keyboard on my Q10 is, not just as good, it is quite a bit better! I dunno if there are manufacturing variations that could explain it.

I actually slightly prefer OS7 most of the time (9900 is used 4/7 days), but the Q10 has the better keyboard, killer battery life (I'd say 2x the 9900), actually passable camera and browser.

Whoops! Did I say too much? Maybe I should head for cover.... :-)
    05-18-16 10:54 PM
    Hey, hang on there! I quite like my 9900, but it is only the 2nd best keyboard here. As good as it is on my 9900, the keyboard on my Q10 is, not just as good, it is quite a bit better! I dunno if there are manufacturing variations that could explain it.

I actually slightly prefer OS7 most of the time (9900 is used 4/7 days), but the Q10 has the better keyboard, killer battery life (I'd say 2x the 9900), actually passable camera and browser.

The Q10 keyboard is excellent, but the 9900/9930 wins out for me. It just feels better, especially with that ergonomic curve.

Ugh. You guys are making me look at going to T-Mobile just to be able to have a BIS plan for using legacy BlackBerry phones. Still hoping I can talk myself out of it.

Join me on BBM!
    05-18-16 10:58 PM
    I'm on Wind and I have no issues going back and forth. I bet Rogers has more enterprise customers than Wind, so I doubt there'll be a problem. Just remember to re-register the device, host routing table I think.
    The issue is that I ditched my BlackBerry account when I went to a family shared account. I would have to get a new BlackBerry plan to run a 9900. Bell would not let me share BlackBerry data on my Z10 plan with an iPhone. If you are still on a BlackBerry plan you could get a Sim adaptor and use your current card in a 9900. Not sure about the APN settings though. Also not sure about a LTE card in a 9900

Posted via CB10
    05-19-16 12:12 AM
    I'm on Rogers also and BIS is PERFECT! I doubt any Canadian carrier is going to take BIS away, Blackberry is not bankrupt and even if they stop making handsets in a couple years the computers will still be turned on because their software division is profitable.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-19-16 01:45 AM

PS not a resurgence.
    Just because you changed to a sharing plan and therefore switched from active BIS, you make it sound as though it was taken away from you. I'd like to know what other name you would call all these people I have met in here pulling their 9900's out of their drawers and wanting to use them again. Like I said originally when I re-joined in here maybe one or 2 people were really talking about this device. I definately think there is some love for this model, and some newfound appreciation also!

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 05-19-16 at 02:19 AM.
    05-19-16 01:53 AM
    I don't have a 9900 but have been using my 9810 for over 3 and a half years now. Prior to that I had a 9300. Bridged to my PlayBook they make a great combination. BIS in the UK is still going strong, but not sure how it is fairing in other parts of the world.
    05-19-16 02:24 AM
    This thread is infectious. I lost out on a mint Bold 9900 on eBay last night. I was so sad to be outbid in the last second.

So in the meantime I have ditched my Sony Xperia, and revived my really old and battered 9320. Having lots of fun with it, just set up my BlackBerry ID, BBM, BlackBerry World, and am listening to some cool tunes with Tune In Radio.

Only problem is email...when I try to set it up I get an error "Your device had a problem connecting to the server".

Any ideas?
    05-19-16 04:37 AM
    Hmm, interestingly, I lost a 9930 eBay bid just yesterday. Last seconds, also. Ok, which one of you guys sniped it? Haha. Lol. Guess I'll have to start using Auction Sniper again. Lol.

Idk about 9320 but expect its email sets up "normally"? Are you setting up pop? Or gmail? Or? Got the right password? All of my accounts demand the full email address as "user name"? If bbm's working I might expect BIS is working also but? Start a thread and I'd bet someone would know right off.
    05-19-16 05:27 AM

Lol, different strokes, ya kno. (literally ) I personally consider Q10's kb to be a close second behind 9900's. That's saying something. But, my thumbs aren't mounted on linear bearings, or ways, and just don't naturally articulate straight across. BB's smiling KB accommodates the natural articulation of my old spherical bearing thumb joints. Even more so with age. Lol.

My first BBs, can't recall model#, had utterly abysmal "frowning" KB. Experience ultimately led to our unsurpassed 9900. Q10/Classic straight config certainly maximized screen estate but was a step back toward the old "frown" ergonomics, IMO.

Q10/Classic keys might provide more space but it's space I don't utilize because I don't type with my thumb's fleshy pad. I find thumb NAILS to be much more precise and faster. Especially on smaller Bold sculptured KBs, like the excellent 9650. I even trim my thumbnails with this use in mind. Hard core, I guess. Lol. Give nails a try, if you haven't already.

For me, 9900's kb also provides just the right balance of effort and a VERY predictable "snap". I rarely press 9900 keys till they stop hard at the bottom. I typically only press just past "snap". This minimizes fatigue while maximizing speed and, I believe, minimizes kb wear.

Q10 came with better battery but also less than reliable battery connections, for some. A folded post it note "fixed" that Q10 problem for most, tho. Aftermarket 5000mAh battery in my 9900 provides a comfortable 3 day endurance. Adds thickness, tho.

I believe RIM missed marketing opportunities by failing to market a 9900-B with greater battery. And then, six months later, a 9900-C with improved camera. Lol.

IMO, however, the single greatest market miss in BB10's short history was failing to fit a toolbelt to Q10. A roadblock to legacy migration that REALLY hurt, IMO.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    05-19-16 06:24 AM
    My error message went away after a couple of battery pulls - the one bad thing about OS7.

Other than that I'm really enjoying being back with a pkb. Everything seems to work great.

Definitely going to be looking at eBay for a 9900 again.
    Last edited by Wmsi; 05-19-16 at 07:27 AM.
    05-19-16 07:08 AM
    My error message went away after a couple of battery pulls - the one bad thing about OS7.

Other than that I'm really enjoying being back with a pkb. Everything seems to work great.

Did you chech the Message options - and select how long your messages should be hold on you Berry?
    idssteve likes this.
    05-19-16 07:29 AM

Yeah, BBOS memory "garbage collection" management is pretty poor. Reboots clean up the garbage. Latest 7.1 seems improved for that. Especially on my 9930. I frequently swap batts as a tetherless powering strategy and don't mind the 2min reboot time. Of course our 9900's 1.2GHz processor might be faster boot than other models?? My old 9650 takes MUCH longer to boot OS5. Lol.
    05-19-16 07:35 AM
    Ugh. You guys are making me look at going to T-Mobile just to be able to have a BIS plan for using legacy BlackBerry phones. Still hoping I can talk myself out of it.
    HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA -- I love that about you, New!! When it comes to phones, you are DEFINITELY "Research in Motion!"

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    05-19-16 07:42 AM
    This thread is infectious. I lost out on a mint Bold 9900 on eBay last night. I was so sad to be outbid in the last second.
    Just keep looking and take your time. Ebay is loaded with 9900s for sale, many of them overpriced - don't be tempted to pay silly money. A couple of months back I had several goes trying to get a second 'spare' 9900 - eventually I picked up a bargain but I did lose a few silly auctions along the way.
    Good luck!
    Wmsi likes this.
    05-19-16 07:45 AM
    Yeah, BBOS memory "garbage collection" management is pretty poor. Reboots clean up the garbage. Latest 7.1 seems improved for that. Especially on my 9930.
    +1 for upgrading the OS to latest version, that process utterly transformed my 9900 and battery pulls are now an extremely rare event. It's also good to use some sort of automated memory flushing & nightly reboots to keep the 9900 running smoothly; Advance OS & LED is one app that does that well, but there are other options
    idssteve and anon(8063781) like this.
    05-19-16 07:53 AM
    IMO, however, the single greatest market miss in BB10's short history was failing to fit a toolbelt to Q10. A roadblock to legacy migration that REALLY hurt, IMO.
    I agree, the Q10 is my newest BB10 and I just wished I'd bought it first as it's my favorite BB10 device now. In spite of the missing toolbelt this phone will keep me from always switching my simcard back to the 9900. Not to say it never will happen ... The music streaming on the Bold uses less data, here where free wifi really isn't available to play with.
    05-19-16 07:54 AM
    HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA -- I love that about you, New!! When it comes to phones, you are DEFINITELY "Research in Motion!"

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Indeed! My curiosity and need for variety is insatiable!

Join me on BBM!
    David Tyler and Ursus Rufus like this.
    05-19-16 08:01 AM
    +1000 for scheduled reboots and Advance OS & Led! I schedule automatic reboots for 4am. Readies 99 for a clean start when its daily alarm wakes me at 5. Wrx4me.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    05-19-16 08:02 AM
    I still have my 9900 and I've been tempted on several occasions to get it reconnected. BlackBerry has still yet to match it's greatness. I have to say though, after being spoiled by the battery life of todays devices, the battery life on the 9900 is atrocious, lol. Still an amazing device, I charge it up and randomly start typing on it (<--- addict)
    05-19-16 08:05 AM
    I wish BlackBerry had released a black Q10 with a toolbelt and silver frame.

I got half way there by swapping in a silver frame from a white Q10. Looks amazing.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-wp_20160213_003.jpg

Join me on BBM!
    05-19-16 08:24 AM
    So how do you update the OS on OS7 phones. You can't do it over the air can you?

My current OS is 7.1 Bundle 2753

Is that the latest?
    05-19-16 08:33 AM
    Just because you changed to a sharing plan and therefore switched from active BIS, you make it sound as though it was taken away from you. I'd like to know what other name you would call all these people I have met in here pulling their 9900's out of their drawers and wanting to use them again. Like I said originally when I re-joined in here maybe one or 2 people were really talking about this device. I definately think there is some love for this model, and some newfound appreciation also!

I am fully on board with the idea of a updated 9900 or Q10 running a new OS. OK Ralph ..a resurgence.
    05-19-16 09:01 AM
    I wish BlackBerry had released a black Q10 with a toolbelt and silver frame.

I got half way there by swapping in a silver frame from a white Q10. Looks amazing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160213_003.jpg 
Views:	671 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	400137

Join me on BBM!
    I think even BlackBerry might wish they had just released the 9900 with BB10 on it, instead of the Q10. It was a very strange move for them to depart so much from what made a BlackBerry a BlackBerry... lack of shortcuts at release was very non-BlackBerry.
    lukeoverhere and Karan Riar like this.
    05-19-16 09:04 AM
8,754 1234 ...