Hi I am currently an iPhone user. Iphone 5 and 5s. I have previously tried blackberry 9780 I believe. Unfortunately on both occasions the screen or maybe the size of the keys gave me severe eye strain/headaches.

Im thinking about getting the new q20 classic as a business/email phone in addition to my iPhone 5. But I really still have a thing for the look and feel of the 9900.

My questions are. Are the screens of the bold 9900 similar to that of the 9780 or previous bolds. I really don't want to buy one and then run in to similar eye strain issues.

Also I do remember when i owned a blackberry you had to pay to use bbm etc and all the facilities which I understand on the new bb10 you don't have to. Does this payment etc still apply on the old blackberrys??? If I got an old blackberry now would I still have to go through the old process of a blackberry account and pin monthly??

and last question. Just curios, Is there a reason that celebrities or public eye figures still use blackberrys especially the 9900. Is it security is good? or good email access. As I have noticed even though the q10 is around the old blackberrys are still in tow along side whatever else the phone they maybe using.

If all else fails I will try out the new classic.
    03-11-15 08:57 AM
    Here's a spec comparison between the 9780 and 9900:
    BlackBerry Bold 9780 vs BlackBerry Bold 9900 - Phone specs comparison
    http://forums.crackberry.com/older-b...9780-a-649426/

I'm on AT&T US and I don't pay extra for BIS. I have the mobile share plan with 3GB rollover data, unlimited text/voice and pay $69/mo. BIS is activated by my carrier on my account at no extra charge.
    03-11-15 10:20 AM
    Same here,my favorite daily is a 9900 with a similar $60.00 unlimited plan with T-Mobile and BIS is included at no extra charge, there was a time when they charged $10.00 to add BIS but that is longer the case. I really enjoy using the 9900 as a business communication tool with the awesome keypad which actually helps me do things faster in many ways. My only gripe with it could be the HTML e-mails which sometimes are not as great as they could be if you compare it with the OS 10 and such and perhaps the camera's lack of autofocus. Even the browser works fine....

Sent via Bold
    03-12-15 04:40 AM
    Used a 9900 before I got my Q10.
    While it is a nice device, it's crippled if you are stingy and don't want to use a specialized BB data plan. EDIT: Or if your carrier doesn't support it. It's supposedly free now.
    The display is quite good, although the touch is only really relevant in the browser.
    Hardware is incredibly nice to look at, but underpowered. The OS ain't really the newest, either.
    Battery life is good.
    The keyboard is good, although I've had some double typing issues lately, and special characters like �, �, and � are just not there. EDIT: They are there. Shame on me.
    I'd definitely go with a Q10, even with the horrible sliding backpiece, and the pitch black screen.
    The Classic is a lil' bit too expensive IMO, and hasn't got a removable battery, while you can get another '10 device for 150 bucks.

Uuuuuunless you want MIDI-playback. Then go with the 9900.
    Last edited by Jan125; 03-15-15 at 01:51 PM.
    03-12-15 04:53 AM
    Q) "Is the screen on the bold 9900 similar to the 9780"
    A) the 9900 is bigger and better resolution. (the Blackberry Classic is WAY bigger and MUCH better resolution)

Q) "Do you need a special (read BIS) plan and how much does that cost"
    A) BIS doesn't cost anything now. and the Classic take a regular plan

Q) "Why do celebrities love them"
    A) When you care more about WHAT you write than what you write it ON, you tend to go with something that's designed for specifically that.
    Ok that and it was just a status symbol for so long it stuck. I'm sure all of them will have $17,000 apple watches and their blackberries soon too.
    kykygn3 likes this.
    03-13-15 03:44 PM
    All the mentioned special characters are of course on BlackBerry Bold 9900, you judt have to hold "a" and scroll with the touch pad left or right and it shows up, all the possibilities "a & comp "...You are definitely not heavy user, are you?

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 12:26 PM
    Used a 9900 before I got my Q10.
    While it is a nice device, it's crippled if you are stingy and don't want to use a specialized BB data plan.
    The display is quite good, although the touch is only really relevant in the browser.
    Hardware is incredibly nice to look at, but underpowered. The OS ain't really the newest, either.
    Battery life is good.
    The keyboard is good, although I've had some double typing issues lately, and special characters like �, �, and � are just not there.
    I'd definitely go with a Q10, even with the horrible sliding backpiece, and the pitch black screen.
    The Classic is a lil' bit too expensive IMO, and hasn't got a removable battery, while you can get another '10 device for 150 bucks.

Uuuuuunless you want MIDI-playback. Then go with the 9900.
    All the mentioned special characters are of course on BlackBerry Bold 9900, you just have to hold "a" and scroll with the touch pad left or right and it shows up, all the possibilities "a & comp "...You are definitely not heavy user, are you?

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 12:28 PM
    -Chilli100 Huh, well that's new to me... Never really bothered with that, as I mostly write in English. Then again, this is pretty time consuming compared to HOLD(ing) IT!
    But thanks for the info, I'll still stick with the Q10 though. :P

-Damian and -kykygn3, in some countries, there are smaller "carriers" that use the network of bigger, established carriers, and do not offer BIS.
    03-15-15 01:49 PM
    Alright here are your answers. I recommend the classic for you. I'm recommending this phone because it has a bigger better screen than the 9900. I've also done my fair share of research about your data situation. If you go with a new Blackberry device like the Classic, you won't have to change your data plan. Blackberry uses the same smartphone data.

PS. You may have to give your carrier a shout or do some research on your carrier APN settings if your Blackberry doesn't automatically connect to the data network. Nothing too difficult.

Hope you enjoy the phone!

Nic

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 04:10 PM
    9896 questions short of the mark. I was prepared for a much longer read!

Sent from my Q10 using Forum Fiend OSP v1.3.3.
    03-15-15 08:30 PM
    Why not give a Blackberry 10 device a try? I feel you'd enjoy how organized the hub keeps you

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 11:16 PM
    Bold 9900 great phone. Share your Battery usage if you may
    04-07-15 09:49 AM