Okay, but then what? I created one with my name and phone number. How is it assigned to a TAG? Obviously, I'm quite LOST!
    06-20-12 04:46 PM
    Okay, but then what? I created one with my name and phone number. How is it assigned to a TAG? Obviously, I'm quite LOST!
    I have just added a new tag via BB Smart tags app.

This is an example of what I just did. Opened Smart tags - bb button - create tag - I purely did it for an example, entered engadget.com - then bb button - save - bb button - write to tag - tap tag then its done.

I don't need engadget as a tag so I DID NOT lock the tag in the menu. You can change these around if not locked I guess.

I haven't used tags for text / email etc. Just 2 for Bluetooth, bb bridge and wifi on / off via vijiks apps...oh and a third for CB.

This may also help.

http://o-o.preferred.lhr07s14.v22.no...rect_counter=1
    Last edited by Ben1232; 06-20-12 at 05:10 PM.
    06-20-12 05:05 PM
    I just removed my otterbox case. Does the tag have to contact the "metallic bb logo" on the back? Or can there be a case on it. I checked the NFC options and "Play sound on tap" is ON. But I do not get any feedback.

I will now try your steps above....

I tried it.

So, if I'm just on my HOMEscreen. Not in any app, should I just be able to tap the tag and it will do to engadget? Nothing happens.

Do I have the CORRECT type of tags? The little plastic envelope shows:

"Mifare Ultralight 64 bytes"

The tags themselves show nothing.
    06-20-12 05:21 PM
    I just removed my otterbox case. Does the tag have to contact the "metallic bb logo" on the back? Or can there be a case on it. I checked the NFC options and "Play sound on tap" is ON. But I do not get any feedback.

I will now try your steps above....

I tried it.

So, if I'm just on my HOMEscreen. Not in any app, should I just be able to tap the tag and it will do to engadget? Nothing happens.

Do I have the CORRECT type of tags? The little plastic envelope shows:

"Mifare Ultralight 64 bytes"

The tags themselves show nothing.
    It should work with your case. It needs to be 2cm's away I found.

Yes you need to be on the home screen with it lit. I'm sure I have those tags. (I think its the Mifare Classics that don't work but I'd need to check to be sure in this thread where Vijik states which. (My tags don't say anything either).

Yes with my tags ONLY on bb smart tags app it makes the noise on tag tap. With Vijiks app it just vibrates.

Was there a carrier that turned off NFC on the 9930 ?

EDIT: You have the correct tags. Ultralights are the ones that work as I thought above.
    Last edited by Ben1232; 06-20-12 at 05:40 PM.
    06-20-12 05:29 PM
    US-Verizon, here. No feedback. In Vijik's app - none either. In his, I see just tag #1. If I try adding, nothing happens and I never get a #2, etc.

I wonder if something else installed might interfere but there are too many apps! I think the spring pins in the battery compartment contact the Rear Cover contacts (antenna). (I will say that the phone, outside of the otterbox is really sleek and sexy!)
    06-20-12 05:58 PM
    Well, I do wonder if nfc is working on this phone. That's why I wondered about a "simple test" which it may have failed.

I'm also not enamored of its SpeakerPhone. My 9650 could be heard across the room. This one, barely in my lap.

Unfortunately, locally Verizon is not very hot on BB anymore and even seeing a working model is almost impossible. So trying these tests on a store model may not work. Also, I don't recall if nfc is even available on the official Verizon OS? I'm on another official (but not verizon) OS.
    06-20-12 06:03 PM
    US-Verizon, here. No feedback. In Vijik's app - none either. In his, I see just tag #1. If I try adding, nothing happens and I never get a #2, etc.

I wonder if something else installed might interfere but there are too many apps! I think the spring pins in the battery compartment contact the Rear Cover contacts (antenna). (I will say that the phone, outside of the otterbox is really sleek and sexy!)
    Maybe vijik will know what to do when he is about, or someone who is with your carrier on the same OS who already uses NFC.

06-20-12 06:05 PM
    Maybe vijik will know what to do when he is about, or someone who is with your carrier on the same OS who already uses NFC.

I just posted a query in the Verizon subforum. Since I do not have the OFFICIAL OS, I don't think I can run into a verizon store. Besides, as noted, their support for BB is pretty poor these days and I'm pretty certain no sales rep would be able to help!
    06-20-12 06:17 PM
    Requirements for being able to tap an NFC tag and read it with a BB (NFC Read Mode):

1- The tag is supported by BB OS. Mifare Ultralight is fine.

2- The BB OS supports NFC, your Carrier doesn't block NFC. Usually if you see and can enable NFC in Manage Connections, then you are fine with the BB OS.

3- NFC is enabled in Manage Connections and backlight is on.

4- NFC antenna on the battery door is fine and working.

5- The pins used to connect the BB with the NFC antenna are sticking enough out so that they touch the pads for antenna when the battery door is in place.

6- NFC hardware in the BB is not damaged.

7- If you are using Smart Tags app to read the tag, the tag should be already programmed (Open web page, SMS, Call, etc)

8- If you are using NFCShortcuts, open NFCShortcuts and then tap the battery door on the tag. A pop up window should show up if it is the first time you are tapping that tag. If you have already setup NFCShortcuts to launch something with that tag, NFCshortcuts will then open settings for that tag.

You can use 7 or 8 above to test that NFC is working on your BB. Or, if you run BB OS 7.1+, find someone else with a NFC enabled BB (with BB OS 7.1), then on one device open a picture, and then tap the battery doors on those two BBs together (Make sure Backlight is On on both devices and make sure that NFC is enabled on both BBs). A pop up screen should show up on one device asking if you want to send the picture, while on the other one it should ask if you want to receive the picture.
    06-20-12 09:13 PM
    Thanks for the details, Vijik.

I will look it over in the morning but I think that I've tried it properly. I now need to find another bbphone owner!
    06-21-12 12:51 AM
    Thanks for the details, Vijik.

I will look it over in the morning but I think that I've tried it properly. I now need to find another bbphone owner!
    Or if you find an NFC smart poster (a tag that is already programmed with for example web address) somewhere in your city, you can also see if you can read that poster with your BB.
    06-21-12 07:40 AM
    For your info:
    ShortcutMe 6.2.1.0 (the latest version), has following new set of Super Macros (macros containing other macros) designed to make things easier for you when you want to create shortcuts in ShortcutMe for your NFC tags:

TurnWifiOn,
    TurnWifiOff,
    TurnRadioOn,
    TurnRadioOff,
    TurnBtOn,
    TurnBtOff,
    TurnNFCOn,
    TurnNFCOff,
    SearchAndrun
    06-22-12 06:00 AM
    I just posted a query in the Verizon subforum. Since I do not have the OFFICIAL OS, I don't think I can run into a verizon store. Besides, as noted, their support for BB is pretty poor these days and I'm pretty certain no sales rep would be able to help!
    Any luck to find out why NFC doesn't work on your BB?

I told a friend of mine about your case.
    He said that he also had problem with NFC not working on his 9900. At the end he had to exchange it on warranty and NFC on the new 9900 worked flowlessly.
    06-28-12 06:59 AM
    I just got a Bold 9900 and have yet to get in to the NFC tag concept but I am very interested. I am not sure if this has been mentioned before, but for those with dryers/washing machines where they do not hear the buzzer, could put a tag there that starts a timer for the average time, say 35 minutes. So just tap after putting clothes in then your phone reminds you and you can go check!
    07-09-12 07:21 PM
    I just got a Bold 9900 and have yet to get in to the NFC tag concept but I am very interested. I am not sure if this has been mentioned before, but for those with dryers/washing machines where they do not hear the buzzer, could put a tag there that starts a timer for the average time, say 35 minutes. So just tap after putting clothes in then your phone reminds you and you can go check!
    That is a good idea.
    I will make a plugin for ShortcutMe to do that.

It is going to be similar to +SetNapAlarm plugin that is already ready for download here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...me-6-a-716748/
    07-10-12 08:09 AM
    Hey Vijik,

For some reason my saved tags have stopped working. Ive tried restoring from backup in NFC shortcuts but just says "Could not read from file.......file does not exist".

Any ideas.
    07-10-12 08:56 AM
    Any luck to find out why NFC doesn't work on your BB?

I told a friend of mine about your case.
    He said that he also had problem with NFC not working on his 9900. At the end he had to exchange it on warranty and NFC on the new 9900 worked flowlessly.
    I must have missed this reply. NO luck. I am considering heading to a Verizon shop and see if they've got some nfc testing that I can do. I might just casually ask about nfc and for a demo using any phones they have. Then try it on my 9930!

Also, wonder if it could be the battery cover where, I guess, the antenna is located and connects to the internal circuits.
    07-10-12 09:20 AM
    @Ben1232,

Use fileManager on the BB and see if you find "nfclauncherconfig.txt" on the root directory of the micro SD card.
    07-10-12 01:51 PM
    @Ben1232,

Use fileManager on the BB and see if you find "nfclauncherconfig.txt" on the root directory of the micro SD card.
    I'm unable to find that in files.

I still have the two tags showing in shortcutme if that helps.

The phone vibrates when I tap the tag & that's it at the moment.
    Last edited by Ben1232; 07-10-12 at 02:04 PM.
    07-10-12 01:59 PM
    I'm unable to find that in files.

I still have the two tags showing in shortcutme if that helps.

The phone vibrates when I tap the tag & that's it at the moment.
    If the file is not there, it means you never stored your settings using the menu option in NFCShortcuts.

What those two tags are supposed to launch (NFCShortcuts > select the taag > "Edit Selected Stored Tag" button > Launch set to what?) ?
    07-10-12 03:20 PM
    I've managed to use them for a while without problems. Strange.

The tags turn wifi / bluetooth and bridge on and the second tag for off.
    07-10-12 03:32 PM
    I've managed to use them for a while without problems. Strange.

The tags turn wifi / bluetooth and bridge on and the second tag for off.
    What is "Launch:" set to in those 2 tags (exact text for the item you have selected from Launch drop down menu)?
    ?
    07-10-12 03:48 PM
    What is "Launch:" set to in those 2 tags (exact text for the item you have selected from Launch drop down menu)?
    ?
    ShortcutMe_Touch,HOM

ShortcutMe_Touch,LHM
    07-10-12 03:53 PM
    ShortcutMe_Touch,HOM

ShortcutMe_Touch,LHM
    What happens if you manually open ShortcutMe and enter H O M ?
    07-10-12 06:22 PM
    What happens if you manually open ShortcutMe and enter H O M ?
    It shows all the plugin info / macro info in a pop up
    07-10-12 06:34 PM
250 ... 78910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD