Hello,

any impressions on Bold 9900 browser?

I am having problems with (my current) browser. from time to time it gets frozen and only reset helps. After reset, an uncaught exception message apears and browser deamon gets restarted.

Thanks
    06-27-11 09:15 AM
    There are plenty of 9900's out there for people to get their hands on. Surely you don't believe all the sites that have done "previews & reviews" of the 9900 got a unit sent by RIM?? They're out there.
    06-27-11 05:36 PM
    There are plenty of 9900's out there for people to get their hands on. Surely you don't believe all the sites that have done "previews & reviews" of the 9900 got a unit sent by RIM?? They're out there.
    Crucial_X what's your opinion of OS7 against iOS5?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-11 06:54 PM
    Crucial_X what's your opinion of OS7 against iOS5?

There is really no comparison. Not in the grand scheme of things. It won't be until QNX that the RIM OS can compete with Apple's OS. I will say as the thread title suggests, the browser in OS 7 is right up there with the current version of mobile safari. )

OS7 is the exact same as OS6 sans some new API's for Dev's. Yes there's the "Liquid Graphics", however that has more to do with the upgraded processors than the actual code itself. Again, the browser has been upgraded. NFC compatibility. But all in all, it's the same.
    06-27-11 07:52 PM
    There is really no comparison. Not in the grand scheme of things. It won't be until QNX that the RIM OS can compete with Apple's OS. I will say as the thread title suggests, the browser in OS 7 is right up there with the current version of mobile safari. )

OS7 is the exact same as OS6 sans some new API's for Dev's. Yes there's the "Liquid Graphics", however that has more to do with the upgraded processors than the actual code itself. Again, the browser has been upgraded. NFC compatibility. But all in all, it's the same.
    CX- Do you believe that QNX will be an operating system that a lot of developers will like and develop for? It looks like it has quite a bit of promise and will hopefully bring some people back to BB. From what you know at this point do you think it can be the jolt that will get RIM back? Thanks.
    06-27-11 08:03 PM
    CX- Do you believe that QNX will be an operating system that a lot of developers will like and develop for? It looks like it has quite a bit of promise and will hopefully bring some people back to BB. From what you know at this point do you think it can be the jolt that will get RIM back? Thanks.
    It has the potential for sure. Remember Apple is on iOS5. There have been many revisions before it. The platform had to evolve & mature. Same with QNX. Although I believe QNX has more potential than iOS. I think when RIM releases QNX on HH's & people are buying the products, people will want to develop applications for the Platform. But it's wholly dependent on what RIM does with the platform and when.
    kbz1960, bbdub and johnmarki like this.
    06-27-11 08:23 PM
    Crucial_X little advice, my main stuff I like doing on my smartphone is listening to music, like the push e mail texting not really into bbm and would LOVE a better browser. Also I dunno about using just a full touchscreen, still like the full size qwerty keyboard, but I've been hearing really great things about the iphone 5 ...your opinion?

06-27-11 09:12 PM
    It has the potential for sure. Remember Apple is on iOS5. There have been many revisions before it. The platform had to evolve & mature. Same with QNX. Although I believe QNX has more potential than iOS. I think when RIM releases QNX on HH's & people are buying the products, people will want to develop applications for the Platform. But it's wholly dependent on what RIM does with the platform and when.
    What gives QNX more potential? Doesn't it almost seem like RIM is so far behind that they will always be chasing the competition??
    06-27-11 09:16 PM
    Hello,

any impressions on Bold 9900 browser?

I am having problems with browser. from time to time it gets frozen and only reset helps. After reset, an uncaught exception message apears and browser deamon gets restarted.

Thanks
    brankomilosevic getting back to your question, can you tell us what Blackberry you have now and maybe someone here will be able to help you out.
    06-27-11 11:17 PM

I think its crazy though that if ios is so advanced than why can you not set a custom ringtone for sms and other messages? I feel like if BB couldn't do something as simple as that they would get ripped!
    johnmarki likes this.
    06-28-11 06:45 AM
    Quick question on the browser.. Think it'll be any better on OS7? The extra power would help of course but isn't another weakpoint is that it uses the (slow) BIS for everything?
    06-29-11 03:47 PM
    Crucial_X little advice, my main stuff I like doing on my smartphone is listening to music, like the push e mail texting not really into bbm and would LOVE a better browser. Also I dunno about using just a full touchscreen, still like the full size qwerty keyboard, but I've been hearing really great things about the iphone 5 ...your opinion?

Well any of the new upcoming BlackBerry devices fit the bill for what you described. Yes the iPhone does as well. It's all on what best suits you and your needs. No doubt the i5 will again be king of the hill when released.

What gives QNX more potential? Doesn't it almost seem like RIM is so far behind that they will always be chasing the competition??
    Quite simply the architecture of the OS itself. It's very fast and very efficient. Each thing running is a different process, thus no total failures(crashes). Yes RIM is definitely behind. And yes it'll take a bit to catch up. However, once RIM wins back some market & mindshare things will start to turn around and people will see the potential of the platform.

I think its crazy though that if ios is so advanced than why can you not set a custom ringtone for sms and other messages? I feel like if BB couldn't do something as simple as that they would get ripped!
    While I personally don't have any want to set custom ringtones or anything, it's still nice to have the option. Notifications has long been the weak link for iOS. And yes they get ripped about it. Hence why Apple has fixed this with iOS5. Either way, iOS is far ahead of the current & future BlackBerry OS(OS 7). Not until QNX is released will they be on equal playing fields. Just like with all new firmware it'll also take RIM a bit to evolve & mature the platform like Apple & Google have done. But they'll be real darn close with QNX's release.
    jebulls likes this.
    06-29-11 04:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD