Hey guys, I just wanted to ask here see if I'm missing something simple that may make my phone play nice again.. But I'm kind of doubting it.

Recently, my 9900 has started acting up. Most notably my keyboard has... started flipping me off. Alt and caps keys are deciding they don't want to work more than half the time. And I've had the alt stick on, and write almost and entire text in numbers.
    **Since I started writing this it's decided all keys are now acting up... maybe it is chugging**
    My space bar went from being overly sensitive, and putting a space and period in the middle of a sentence, to not responding at all half the time.
    I can't tell you how many times I've gone to send my gf a text "i'm omw home" and instead sent "ikmomwhome".

I've also managed to bbm the wrong person while continuing a conversation, (I'll admit this one could be human error, but given everything else going on with it I'm gonna blame the phone anyways )

This morning it just decided to shut itself off and not come back on. (It may have frozen while locked, but required a battery pull to come back to life either way). It's done that once or twice in the past couple months.

And that's on top of a few other existing issues.
    - My Wifi is... buggered. I can be sitting right beside the box and only get 2 bars, occasionally I'll get full but it's really hit or miss. Never get full in the other room, and my gf will get full bars almost as soon as she parks.
    - Crack and cut out when making calls constantly. I can hear clear as a bell, just complaints from anyone I'm trying to talk to. It got so bad people couldn't hear me at all, so I ended up scraping out the mic slot, with some success.

I'm running 7.10 bundle 2108, and haven't had an issue until the past few weeks.
    Shut my phone off every night, and gets a battery pull at least once a month, (usually from me forgetting to charge it, and swapping batteries so it doesn't die.)
    I'm also rocking the old style SIM still. Phones on rogers here only JUST started being able to go LTE, so I haven't needed to upgrade yet. I only mention it because I had weirder things fix

I've had 3 Bolds now, and they all start giving me grief around the 2 year mark, so I'm not optimistic it's something simple.

I've had it before where the system was chugging and missing key strokes because of it, but it doesn't seem like that this time, and it's fairly specific in what buttons don't want to work.

It feels like it's been going down hill quickly.

Any thoughts what I might do to bring it back to life? Preferably of the cheap or free variety... If I have to dump money into it, I think it's just gonna be time for an upgrade.
    06-24-13 01:09 PM
    Hey guys, I just wanted to ask here see if I'm missing something simple that may make my phone play nice again.. But I'm kind of doubting it.

Recently, my 9900 has started acting up. Most notably my keyboard has... started flipping me off. Alt and caps keys are deciding they don't want to work more than half the time. And I've had the alt stick on, and write almost and entire text in numbers.
    My space bar went from being overly sensitive, and putting a space and period in the middle of a sentence, to not responding at all half the time.
    I can't tell you how many times I've gone to send my gf a text "i'm omw home" and instead sent "ikmomwhome".

I've also managed to bbm the wrong person while continuing a conversation, (I'll admit this one could be human error, but given everything else going on with it I'm gonna blame the phone anyways )

This morning it just decided to shut itself off and not come back on. (It may have frozen while locked, but required a battery pull to come back to life either way). It's done that once or twice in the past couple months.

And that's on top of a few other existing issues.
    - My Wifi is... buggered. I can be sitting right beside the box and only get 2 bars, occasionally I'll get full but it's really hit or miss. Never get full in the other room, and my gf will get full bars almost as soon as she parks.
    - Crack and cut out when making calls constantly. I can hear clear as a bell, just complaints from anyone I'm trying to talk to. It got so bad people couldn't hear me at all, so I ended up scraping out the mic slot, with some success.

I'm running 7.10 bundle 2108, and haven't had an issue until the past few weeks.
    Shut my phone off every night, and gets a battery pull at least once a month, (usually from me forgetting to charge it, and swapping batteries so it doesn't die.)
    I'm also rocking the old style SIM still. Phones on rogers here only JUST started being able to go LTE, so I haven't needed to upgrade yet. I only mention it because I had weirder things fix

I've had 3 Bolds now, and they all start giving me grief around the 2 year mark, so I'm not optimistic it's something simple.

I've had it before where the system was chugging and missing key strokes because of it, but it doesn't seem like that this time, and it's fairly specific in what buttons don't want to work.

It feels like it's been going down hill quickly.

Any thoughts what I might do to bring it back to life? Preferably of the cheap or free variety... If I have to dump money into it, I think it's just gonna be time for an upgrade.
    Do you pocket carry and sweat, or work in a humid environment? Keep your phone e in the bath while you shower? I've seen similar symptoms described over the years that are often traced to moisture damage.
    06-24-13 01:14 PM
    Pocket carry, but pretty low intensity environment.... except this past 2 weeks -.-
    And often in the bathroom while I shower.

Ahhh... that doesn't sound good in retrospect.
    06-24-13 01:21 PM
    Pocket carry, but pretty low intensity environment.... except this past 2 weeks -.-
    And often in the bathroom while I shower.

Ahhh... that doesn't sound good in retrospect.
    It takes a while before it shows up, as it is in the progressive nature of the problem. At the age of your phone, many times, I've seen either moisture infiltration, bad sim (kinda rare), or battery degradation. But you said that you change batteries, so I'm taking that as you aren't just using one, so that is the lesser of the evils I was thinking.
    06-24-13 01:26 PM
    Yea, the thought had crossed my mind...

I have 2 Blackberry batteries with external charger I alternate between. Stock battery, and the second I picked up shortly after getting the phone. But I've actually had pretty good battery life on it... once the release bugs were worked out of the phone anyway. I haven't even felt this phone heat up.

And now that I think of it, I replaced my invisible shield about a month ago too. Lot of moisture around it ever since it started acting up.

So prognosis probably isn't good eh doc?
    06-24-13 01:55 PM