Not everyone's top concern I know, but I wonder how the 9900's radiation rating will compare with previous BB's? The Bold was always one of the worst for radiation emission and I'm kind of hoping they've improved it in the 9900. I love my BB's but I'm always aware that they're cooking me alive lol...don't always remember to charge up my bluetooth headset...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-11 04:57 PM
    Normally the gsm phones have lower values than cdma anyhow. Also most of the BB phones released after the 9000 had lower ratings than the 9000 anyways, so...
    07-15-11 05:16 PM
    I could not think a BT headset is better as you are inserting a radio transmitter in your ear!
    07-15-11 05:23 PM
    everything gives you cancer these days... and im constantly sat next to several appliences and a wireless router lol i must be medium rare by now
    07-15-11 06:09 PM
    I think the 8330 was particularly bad..

Thats Curve though.
    07-15-11 06:14 PM
    Pearl models were actually the worst I think.
    07-15-11 06:35 PM
    not this again.the 9000 was not the highest sar.the 9700 is.i don't expect the 9900 to have that high a rating.to back up my claim. take a look at this.

Blackberry Cell Phone Radiation Chart - Mobile phone EMF safety shield
    07-15-11 08:28 PM
    Depends on which metric you use also...
    07-15-11 08:45 PM
    i don't want to start an argument.just forget about the 9000 sar levels anyway.the device is outdated already.nobody cares.that argument would have been a solid debate few years back but now its just old news.but i think nobody has to worry about sar levels from rim phones in the near future.there are other things with a high priority level that can cause cancer.but a good alternative for many would be to use an earpiece as a form of protection when using their smartphone.
    07-15-11 08:52 PM
    Is using a bluetooth headset really as bad as pressing the phone to your head? If BT really does have some kind of effect the disadvantage I see it having is that some people tend to leave their headsets on for prolonged periods, eg all day. I've been looking around for a non BT headset that's got a "back of the head" band and a wire connection, but I can't find one. The ones I see in the stores are either iPhone style buds, or if they have the band they're wireless. If I had a set like this I could just keep the headset around my neck all day and leave it plugged in to my BB, apart from anything it would be a great battery saving economy because right now I talk on BT all day.

07-16-11 08:03 AM
    It is still way up in the air on even IF SAR is harmful:
    Mobile phone use in the United Kingdom and other countries has risen steeply since the early 1990's when the first digital mobile phones were introduced. There is an ongoing controversy about whether radio frequency (RF) exposure from mobile phones increases the risk of brain cancer. However, given the widespread use and nearly two decades elapsing since mobile phones were introduced, an association should have produced a noticeable increase in the incidence of brain cancer by now. Trends in rates of newly diagnosed brain cancer cases in England between 1998 and 2007 were examined. There were no time trends in overall incidence of brain cancers for either gender, or any specific age group. Systematic increases in rates for cancers of the temporal lobe in men (0.04 new cases/year) and women (0.02/year) were observed, along with decreases in the rates of cancers of the parietal lobe (−0.03/year), cerebrum (−0.02/year) and cerebellum (−0.01/year) in men only. The increased use of mobile phones between 1985 and 2003 has not led to a noticeable change in the incidence of brain cancer in England between 1998 and 2007. The observed increase in the rate of cancers in the temporal lobe, if caused by mobile phone use, would constitute <1 additional case per 100,000 people in that period. These data do not indicate a pressing need to implement a precautionary principle by means of population-wide interventions to reduce RF exposure from mobile phones. Bioelectromagnetics 32:334–339, 2011. � 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
    07-16-11 09:14 AM
    I dont think this post and my earlier post are ment to have a discussion on wether it is an issue or not. The medical people are still going back on forth on this. So at this time there is no agreement. However each phone has a SAR level and can be used to compare to other phones when making a purchase. Blackberries have been high compared to other phones. So as the FCC has these documents can anyone tell what the SAR is?

Then all of us can decide for ourselfs as we make the purchase decision.

On a side note I believe as in other issues with RIM, they have not tried hard enough to improve this part of their product. Mike L. sure seems to be stuck with his head in his own little world not paying attention to the market.
    07-16-11 09:28 AM
    I dont think this post and my earlier post are ment to have a discussion on wether it is an issue or not. The medical people are still going back on forth on this. So at this time there is no agreement. However each phone has a SAR level and can be used to compare to other phones when making a purchase. Blackberries have been high compared to other phones. So as the FCC has these documents can anyone tell what the SAR is?

Then all of us can decide for ourselfs as we make the purchase decision.

On a side note I believe as in other issues with RIM, they have not tried hard enough to improve this part of their product. Mike L. sure seems to be stuck with his head in his own little world not paying attention to the market.
    I think "Mike L" has more things to worry about than the SAR, just as most others do.
    07-17-11 06:08 AM
    What worries me more than phones are the transmitters that seem to be on top of every second building in NYC now. I would sure hate to live on the top floor underneath one and they have definitely influenced my apartment hunting over the last 10 years...

07-17-11 07:39 AM
    I was asked to take part in a mobile phone / brain tumour research program I declined..... now when was that?
    07-17-11 10:20 AM
    I could not think a BT headset is better as you are inserting a radio transmitter in your ear!
    BT runs at a higher frequency than cellular so it penetrates less into the body even if it were running at same power. But it runs at lower power so it will be substantially less. The lower the transmission frequency the higher the penetration into the body. The EM fields thrown off of 60 Hz wiring in your house and high voltage lines is way worse for you than any other frequency.
    07-17-11 10:36 AM
    All those years of education in the electrical field, and I learn something everyday!
    07-17-11 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD