Hey all

Planning on getting a new bb but cant decide whats better, 9900 or 9810. My current phone is 9700 bold, the only thing i dont like about the 9700 is you cant really browse the internet that well. apart from that i dont have any issues with the phone.

Just want to see what peoples thoughts are on the phones, to help me decide which one is better.

thanks
    09-25-11 06:13 AM
    Hey all

Planning on getting a new bb but cant decide whats better, 9900 or 9810. My current phone is 9700 bold, the only thing i dont like about the 9700 is you cant really browse the internet that well. apart from that i dont have any issues with the phone.

Just want to see what peoples thoughts are on the phones, to help me decide which one is better.

thanks
    There a tons of threads like this but anyway I will help ! Yes coming from a 9700 as well I took the 9900. I couldn't resist the keyboard and touchscreen. If you loved the keyboard on 9700 your BOUND to love the keyboard on the 9900. The 9810 keyboard is fine but is a little narrow. The touchscreen on the 9810 though is very nice. I don't really know. Its your personal preference!
    09-25-11 06:18 AM
    Both devices are exactly the same inside and are solid devices, but where the 9900 fails hard is the non auto focus camera, and numerous software issues(just read the 9900 section).

If you don't mind the sliding form factor the 9810 is a solid device. Yes the keyboard is a little cramped compared to the 9900 or your old 9700. What you give up in physical keyboard more then makes up for it in having the ability to use a virtual keyboard(for those quick messages, no need to slide it up to use a keyboard), having a larger touchscreen to do things and view the web.

It all comes down to personal preference, Candy bar form or slider form, whatever suits your needs.

Just have a stroll around the device specific sections and see which one would be right for you, and which one is having less issues. Both are very solid devices and it all comes down to personal choice.
    09-25-11 06:26 AM
    i took a quick look for other threads but didnt see any sorry. Oh god i cant decide ....
    09-25-11 06:34 AM
    gladiator how do u find surferingg the net on the 9900?
    09-25-11 06:35 AM
    Either will browse the internet adequately. Neither are brilliant at it. So, forget the web and decide based on the form factor. The 9900 is brilliant. The 9810 is a 9800 on steroids. Same form factor.

Hope that helps some.
    09-25-11 06:36 AM
    also what about youtube vids?
    09-25-11 06:36 AM
    The only thing i miss on my Torch is the screen size.
    09-25-11 06:37 AM
    The 9810 is an excellent device, as is the 9900. I have used both and really like the form factor of the 9810 much better, as it has a bigger screen for the web. The keyboard of the 9900 is a little bigger and therefore some would say it is better, but I have fairly big fingers and can easily use the 9810 keyboard just fine (and also like the virtual keyboard at times).
    I chose the 9810 and I'm very happy that I did. The biggest difference is whether you want a larger keyboard (9900) or whether you want a better web experience with the 9810 screen shape.
    Last edited by tellsells; 09-25-11 at 06:57 AM.
    09-25-11 06:53 AM
    Personally loving the 9900. I upgraded to latest Official and in the process deselected all languages but English - freed up 38mb! Had 208mb to play with after that, loving having over 180mb spare. Machine is fast and responsive. Some older apps no longer listed in AppWorld as not officially tested on os7, however installed manually from backup and they run fine. Had no issues yet!
    Battery life is ok, charge overnight (something I used to sometimes forget with 9700 but you need to with this), I also change to 2G only when at work as cannot get 3G there and it just adds to battery drain if handset trying to connect. Have a second battery on the way - not too expensive so no major issue - 2 will easilly last a solid day of use - unlike my Android using friend who has 3 batteries on the go in a day.
    All in all, excellent phone - if you can forgive the fact the camera tried to get everything in focus with Extended Depth Of Field instead of having Autofocus. Video is top notch though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-11 07:28 AM
    That is the biggest lie ever!

And BTW, if you have ever tried a REAL touch screen like the iPhone (PS: I hate APPLE), then you would know that the virtual keyboard is a BIG JOKE! LOL

People who own the Torch just live in a bubble and keep trying to tell themselves that it's ok to justify their purchase (50 USD LOL) when they know deep inside that they've made a big mistake and would've been much happier with the full fledged keyboard and awsome screen of the 9900
    You sure are angry this morning. I thought this was a forum to state your opinion, which is what I did. I am sorry that you are so "crazed" over my opinion, which obviously differs from yours.
    There is medication that will help you. Take a breath and chill a little; everything is going to be alright!
    09-25-11 07:45 AM
    The 9810 has the crappiest keyboard ever, is very bulky and heavy, and you will get tired very quickly of constantly sliding the keyboard down to type. It's a joke really.
    Totally false statement and doesn't help the OP make a choice. You may not like the keyboard but that doesn't make it the "worst ever". Lots of people find it quite easy to use. If you find sliding the keyboard difficult, I suggest getting to the gym.
    MetalxAssassinx likes this.
    09-25-11 07:53 AM
    My wife has the Torch I have the 9900.

Pros for the torch,

Screen size and screen rotation function.

Cons Keyboard size.

Pros keyboard size...

Apart from that not much difference, I don't like the slider, wife loves it....
    09-25-11 07:56 AM
    Will a Dr. Pepper help?

No seriously, to each his own, but IMHO, the Torch is even worse than the Storm.
    The Torch's screen is fine. If you look at any larger touchscreen phone, you'd see that all of the screens are rectangular, instead of square. That's an idiotic thing to detest.

And to state the Torch 9810 is worse than the Storm...

You have absolutely no credibility, now...
    tsells likes this.
    09-25-11 10:26 AM
    My wife has the Torch I have the 9900.

Pros for the torch,

Screen size and screen rotation function.

Cons Keyboard size.

Pros keyboard size...

Apart from that not much difference, I don't like the slider, wife loves it....
    IIRC, the 9900 has NFC but no Auto-Focus in the camera. The Auto-Focus is not trivial, IMO, if you actually use your camera more than occasionally.

The Torch lacks NFC, but has Auto-Focus in the camera.

The Bold has a bigger keyboard, but I personally think the Torch strikes a perfect balance in form, function, and capabilities for a Blackberry. That's just my opinion.

I tried the 9900 for about an hour in a T-Mobile store the other day and found the touchscreen to be useless except for pinch-zooming in the browser. The keyboard, was nice, though. But the lack of auto-focus in the camera... I'm still trying to grapple with why they'd do that...

EDIT: HOWEVER, in the US the issues are bigger. RIM only puts certain models on certain carriers. AT&T still doesn't have a bold. T-Mobile has no Torch. The Full Touch Torches are only on CDMA carriers (a show-stopper for me). I wouldn't be suprised if a ton of people passed up on buying Blackberries because their preferred form factor isn't and probably never will be on their preferred carrier.

I'd have a Torch 9850/60 right now if it was on T-Mobile. I'd have been camping at the door on launch day to get one. But, it wasn't meant to be.

I'm contemplating going to AT&T to get the 9810, but that's a bit of a compromise and since I always keep two active smartphones I'd be ETFing two lines just to get that phone. Doesn't seem worth it, at the moment. But I'll keep going in to play with it to see how much it grows on me...

Knowing how hot full touch phones are, how preferred they are these days, you'd think RIM would at least put the full touch torch on all carriers to try to poach some Android/iOS/WP7 users, but no....... Obviously I'm bitter :P
    Last edited by N8ter; 09-25-11 at 10:34 AM.
    09-25-11 10:29 AM
    See, I didn't think the touch screen on the 9900 was going to be a big thing, just for browsing. I was totally wrong! You soon get used to it being very quick for navigating not only the os but also apps like facebook and even the application switcher!

09-25-11 11:30 AM
    i am considering moving to the 9900/BOLD from the Torch/9800 - important question- does the BOLD have touch dial pad like the TORCH. i think its a big feature for number dialing since you dont have to struggle to find he digits on the keyboard.....anybody..?
    09-25-11 08:41 PM
    i am considering moving to the 9900/BOLD from the Torch/9800 - important question- does the BOLD have touch dial pad like the TORCH. i think its a big feature for number dialing since you dont have to struggle to find he digits on the keyboard.....anybody..?
    The 9900 has no form of onscreen keyboard as far as I know.
    09-25-11 08:47 PM
    basically bigger screen for 9810

9900 has bigger kb and nfc

camera is perfectly fine imho... i just took picture of a bunch of documents... just learn to use the feature and not 'auto' and it's gd as far as amature photography is concerned
    09-25-11 08:50 PM
    All I know is that the 9930 is amazing... People complain about the camera, but I disagree. I'm coming from a Droid and Droid 3, and this camera vastly superior.

09-25-11 09:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD