Got my 9790 last week. If you look carefully next to LED to the left there is another circular opening which looks to be a lens of some sort? Anyone else see that? Could it be a front facing camera? I'd say its a light sensor by my 9780 didn't have that (or maybe it did and I never noticed).

ahhh... may be a dumb question
    12-12-11 09:26 AM
    Proximity Sensor. So you don't face dial while talking on the phone.
    12-12-11 09:28 AM
    Got my 9790 last week. If you look carefully next to LED to the left there is another circular opening which looks to be a lens of some sort? Anyone else see that? Could it be a front facing camera? I'd say its a light sensor by my 9780 didn't have that (or maybe it did and I never noticed).

ahhh... may be a dumb question
    A proximity sensor.
    9790 is different from 9780 in that it has a touch screen. When you pick up the phone to converse while the screen is on, your cheek might touch somewhere in the screen and might cause unintended action. Proximity sensor detects that your phone is approaching close to your face and shutdown the screen.
    12-12-11 09:31 AM
    well that ended that fantasy. Cheers!
    12-12-11 09:31 AM
    It is not a proximity sensor! It is an LED in there and I notice that when dialing out it blinks red on the inside. I have no clue what that means but it is NOT a proximity sensor for the phone to know that you are close to it or to toggle the touch screen off when it senses the hand set is at your ear.

I figured it 'may' be the light sensor that dims the screen but then why is there a blinking led in there that flashes when the phone is dialing out?
    11-25-12 10:56 PM
    It is not a proximity sensor! It is an LED in there and I notice that when dialing out it blinks red on the inside. I have no clue what that means but it is NOT a proximity sensor for the phone to know that you are close to it or to toggle the touch screen off when it senses the hand set is at your ear.

I figured it 'may' be the light sensor that dims the screen but then why is there a blinking led in there that flashes when the phone is dialing out?
    it is the proximity censor, the blinking red is because its trying to see whether your face is close to the screen or not, plus its not an LED, its just a very very very dim red light that flashes

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-25-12 11:04 PM
    it is the proximity censor, the blinking red is because its trying to see whether your face is close to the screen or not, plus its not an LED, its just a very very very dim red light that flashes

Still confusing to me. What does the phone do when it senses your 'face' or 'head' is not close by or looking at it?

On the Galaxy S3 the second led (indicator eye) does this proximity thing to toggle the touch screen off and on or wake the phone up but my 9790 definitely does not do this.

I am asking because it would be useful for me to have this as an actual feature on my 9790 since the touch screen is sensitive to ear touches when talking on the phone. If I can get the proximity thing to toggle off/on the touch screen or sleep/wake the 9790 then life would be a lot better for me.
    11-26-12 12:37 PM
    Still confusing to me. What does the phone do when it senses your 'face' or 'head' is not close by or looking at it?

On the Galaxy S3 the second led (indicator eye) does this proximity thing to toggle the touch screen off and on or wake the phone up but my 9790 definitely does not do this.

I am asking because it would be useful for me to have this as an actual feature on my 9790 since the touch screen is sensitive to ear touches when talking on the phone. If I can get the proximity thing to toggle off/on the touch screen or sleep/wake the 9790 then life would be a lot better for me.

when it senses your face it shuts off the touch screen so you dont push buttons with your face when in a call

11-27-12 08:36 AM
    when it senses your face it shuts off the touch screen so you dont push buttons with your face when in a call

Ahhhhhh! I got it working . I don't know what I did but it works 100% now!

Thanks so much
    11-27-12 03:58 PM
    delmarco,
    How did you get that 2nd LED to work the famous "proximity light " to work.
    03-25-13 05:20 AM
    It automatically activates itself, when your on a phone call and you put the phone to your ear the proximity sensor recognizes this then turns the screen off so there's no accidental screen press while on a phone call.
    03-25-13 10:12 AM
    It's similar to the technology used in optical mouses (look underneath and you'll see a little light) - and the trackpad.
    03-28-13 05:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD