I just switched from a 9900 to a 9790 thinking battery life would improve but so far I have been getting much worse? I am on 7.0.0.609 Bundle 2466. Would an upgrade to a 7.1 leak improve my battery and which 7.1 leak in particular? Thanks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    06-04-12 04:08 AM
    Yeah it will. Upgrade to 7.1. Your battery life will drain less.
    06-04-12 06:37 AM
    For me however, the 7.1 update didn't help much. The OS itself is nicer (hotspot!!!) But my battery still drain quite fast
    06-04-12 09:15 AM
    My battery doesn't last that much, I charge all night, unplug @9:30 am, by 6:00 I'm already 30%. I'm mostly on bbm :S
    06-04-12 09:58 AM
    Pierina that's not bad ... you are getting one full day of usage which sounds pretty good to me ... Anyway it wouldn't last you a full 2nd day so might as well charge it every night !
    06-05-12 08:35 AM
    7.1 helped me somewhat with battery save mode running all the time, but I still have about twice the battery drain that my 9900 did. I switched batteries and got the same result. Anyone know how a phone with a slower processor and lower res screen gets worse battery life than the 9900? Is the Marvell processor way less efficient (bigger transistor size or something)? I did read that the snapdragon cpu in the 9900 has the modem integrated into the chip. Would that account for the dramatic difference?
    06-12-12 12:05 AM
    7.1 helped me somewhat with battery save mode running all the time, but I still have about twice the battery drain that my 9900 did. I switched batteries and got the same result. Anyone know how a phone with a slower processor and lower res screen gets worse battery life than the 9900? Is the Marvell processor way less efficient (bigger transistor size or something)? I did read that the snapdragon cpu in the 9900 has the modem integrated into the chip. Would that account for the dramatic difference?
    You're probably the only person who gets better battery life with 9900 than 9790, so you can have your assumptions. But statistically, and what other peoples' experience says, 9790 DOES last longer than 9900. Maybe, its something with your device. Try and check with another one if possible.
    06-12-12 07:30 AM
    are there any third party batteries available for bold 9790 with more power and long stand by time??

06-12-12 04:51 PM
    You're probably the only person who gets better battery life with 9900 than 9790, so you can have your assumptions. But statistically, and what other peoples' experience says, 9790 DOES last longer than 9900. Maybe, its something with your device. Try and check with another one if possible.
    Maybe I'll give that a try then. What drain rates do you guys have according to device analyzer? Mine has bee just over 5% per hour.
    06-12-12 05:55 PM
    Maybe I'll give that a try then. What drain rates do you guys have according to device analyzer? Mine has bee just over 5% per hour.
    Personally, I haven't upgraded to OS7.1 yet, haven't had time. But yeah, my battry lasts a day easily. I'm an average user. Once I update, I'll keep you updated.
    06-13-12 02:16 AM
    my battery drain rate is stable between 2 and 2.5% per hour.
    06-13-12 09:37 AM
    i have a bold 9790 and my battery really sucks !! wont last more than 6 to 8 hrs!! and thats with average usage ... i called the carrier company and they sent me a new battery , but still same results! i tried doing everything that saves battery life also nothing helps ,, im so desperate for any tweak or something that might help!!
    08-27-12 08:01 PM
    i have a bold 9790 and my battery really sucks !! wont last more than 6 to 8 hrs!! and thats with average usage ... i called the carrier company and they sent me a new battery , but still same results! i tried doing everything that saves battery life also nothing helps ,, im so desperate for any tweak or something that might help!!
    Hi Moses84,
    I had a blackberry 9790 till around two weeks back and after beating the H**l out of it i used to end up my day with around 40-45% battery still left. I found my peace with an Hybrid build for which the link is below my signature. I had used the RC2 with .523sfi or radio file, would suggest you to go through that thread and you will find peace with your battery life and will love your device all over again.
    08-27-12 10:53 PM
    I get around 10-12hours with my 9790
    When I had my 9900 I was happy with 6-8 hours of battery life.

An update to the latest 7.1 with batterysave mode on "always on" will also bring some more hours.

It depends a lot on which carrier are!
    Also how you net coverage is!

At my hometown, I have a very bad coverage, that means my drain rate is always around 5-7 percent.
    At my University the coverage is great and the drain rate goes down to 1.5-3 percent.

Compaired to other smartphones phones like Android devices. That's still great most of them don't even run on push-email (which needs more power).
    08-28-12 02:20 AM
    I just got this phone, and I think the battery might be faulty?

My discharge rate is at about 12% - 16%/hour, and I am not using it that much. The battery also gets warm during the day. I am running OS 7.1.

Should I get a new battery through warranty?
    Last edited by alexbrand09; 09-02-12 at 10:06 PM.
    09-02-12 08:07 PM
    Alex your drain rate is abnormally high.Need to do the usual checks like battery-hogging apps,turn off 3G,backlight down to 20%,switch and close running apps,try wiping the phone and reload the OS, and if these dont work,maybe go in for changing the battery.

09-06-12 06:16 AM
    Have you guys had any luck with the application resource manager? It gave me a list of apps that were hogging resources, when I removed them I noticed an increase in battery life.

Worth a shot if it works for you..
    09-06-12 06:34 AM
    Alex your drain rate is abnormally high.Need to do the usual checks like battery-hogging apps,turn off 3G,backlight down to 20%,switch and close running apps,try wiping the phone and reload the OS, and if these dont work,maybe go in for changing the battery.

....turn off 3G ......

Why even bother with getting a "smartphone"?
    tom_dubai likes this.
    09-09-12 10:24 AM
    I'd like to bring my own experience (and solution!) to the thread; when I bought the 9790 I got scared & mad 'cos of the battery life. I did install the SixTools always on display battery level indicator and I could see battery going down 1% every 10 minutes or so!! I did apply all the usual tips I always adopted on previous BB phones but it didn't help. As a last hope I turned off GPS and bang, battery stopped draining!

Real life example after I turned off the GPS: I detached it from charging at 9:00 and now (16:00) the battery is at 77%, after a lot of BBM, some WhatsApp, some browsing, a couple of emails and sms, installing/uninstalling some apps, two reboots, some minutes of call. That's 23% of battery for 7h of real life usage, with EDGE / 3G on.

From my point of view the GPS was the bad guy draining the battery, and since I don't need it always on I'm happy having it off and turning it on only when I need it. I think apps should turn GPS on when they need it (and when they are allowed to, of course) instead of having it on all the time.

Some more info about my device:
    Firmware: official 9790 OS 7.1.0.714 from Telenor Serbia
    Screen brightness: 10%
    Screen timeout: 10 sec
    Automatic screen brightness: off
    Mobile network: 3G & 2G
    Wi-fi: always off, I turn it on only when I need it
    Whatsapp always active
    3 e-mail accounts
    Twitter (set on never refresh timeline, since I can do it by hand when I start it and save a lot of battery).

I also did tweak the LED notifies using Advanced OS & LED, so that they stop blinking after 5 minutes and they only blink with a 2s interval. I highly suggest you to install this utility, it's free and it does a ton of stuff, not only LED managing.

In the end, my advice is: tweak the device so that it fits your needings in a rational way. Forums like this one are holding a huge amount of tips and tricks for making the best out of our phones, that's very nice.

That's all folks, I hope this tip can help someone like it helped me! I can now enjoy my 9790 and I'm very happy with it. Yes, the loose trackpad on a supposedly highend phone, I know .. what can I say? Some people reports the situation improves after some months of usage, we will see. There's a touchscreen luckily, and I'm using it more and more.

Greetings!
    09-28-12 09:17 AM
    I have a 9900 (personal) and a 9790 (work). I've owned many bb's in the past, and I too am not that impressed with the 9790 battery life. I find that it gets great standby life, and when using it for email alone. But as soon as I start making calls it drains very quickly.
    10-09-12 01:25 AM
    I've also found that it zaps pretty quickly if you're using one or two apps at once. I can't entirely blame the BB: I'm still in the honeymoon phase of owning it, so I'm constantly tooling around with it.

It may be bad practice, but I leave it hooked up to my work computer when I'm in the office.
    10-12-12 07:54 AM
    That's what I do too. If I didn't the phone would be very low on the way home and if I needed it for calls etc then there's the risk of running out of power.
    10-13-12 05:39 AM
    I've only had mine 3 days and I'm struggling with the battery. I charge my phone over night which I have always done because I dont expect to get 2 full days.

I turn my phone on at 6:30 am and by 2:30 /3:00 the battery is done to about 15% at best anythink I can do to improve this.
    10-17-12 01:09 PM
    I've only had mine 3 days and I'm struggling with the battery. I charge my phone over night which I have always done because I dont expect to get 2 full days.

I turn my phone on at 6:30 am and by 2:30 /3:00 the battery is done to about 15% at best anythink I can do to improve this.
    Get a different phone this one is garbage.
    At least you get 6 hours if I play music for 30mins and don't get a reboot then I'm lucky.
    11-01-12 04:03 PM
    my 9790 stays up to 2days maximum with the 7.1.569 OS on standby..

10-24hrs with calling and social usage...
    I did try a couple of OS before getting down to *.569 took me, a day or 2, for the drain rate to settle @ 3.23%..
    FB messenger, viber, net browser and twitter tab are open...
    i'm on edge/3g no wifi.

best battery life than the WIND mobile's official 7.0.OS..
    11-02-12 03:37 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD