overall build is not very bad. bb and escape buttons are a little beat creaky, screen protection is weak and lcd flutters when volume and convenience keys are deperssed, but this is not a big deal. i don't have stutter or any other issues - good phone for reasonable price..
    07-24-11 02:04 AM
    ...they should focus on internal memory (app memory), better ergonomic keypad, big screens, better browser and major improvement in over all BB experience
    it depends)
    i prefer memory cards because can carry plenty of them and replace when needed.
    bigger screen means bigger and heavier phone. or thicker, like 9800. or no keyboard at all which is bit minus for many users who hate texting on touch screens.
    keyboard is a charm, compared to other phones. worse that on legendary bold 9000, but again - size does matter
    want all in one - wait for 9900. i'm waiting too, but at this time 9780 meets all my needs.
    07-24-11 02:15 AM
    Trust me, the 9780 is FAR from crap. It's amazing.
    It's just the keyboard that is worrying me. What if it develops the problem in the future? And the membrane I buy to replace the old one is not genuine and screws the phone a lot more?
    07-24-11 04:24 AM
    I think the 9780 is really great device, there are complaints of keyboard stutter, however I haven't had any!
    07-24-11 04:28 AM
    Just got mine, and loving it after coming from a 9700. Will be 12 months until I can afford a 9900!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-11 07:55 AM
    Hi ...

I bought one February and have no problem. For me ...it is fine. Superb.
    I use at work me and for is the best smartphone on the market.
    Indeed i don't understand your insurgence loke that .

I'm curious about the new 9900 and 9930.

I wish you good lucky... and relax..
    07-24-11 08:20 AM
    i switched from a 9800 to a 9780.. most people i know tell me it's a downgrade... but i say it's not... at all.
    even if the keypads sometime has its own world, try the 9800.. when you have to almost do a "surepress" because of how the keys are cramped together.

anyway, every phone has it's pros and cons.
    yeah its not a downgrade. touch screens are overrated :P
    It's pretty much the same phone. I chose the 9780 over the 9800 because I didn't want the touch screen. if it suits your needs it doesn't matter what others think of it.

as for the keypad stutter.. never had that once version 6.0.0.294
    It's been a great device since moving up from the 9000.
    07-24-11 05:19 PM
    Yes it is crap
    I got one with keyboard shutter my brother also
    Seriosuly Crap cant wait for the 9900 though
    07-24-11 06:17 PM
    I still think the 9780 is really a smart, great looking phone with the right mix of features, processor speed, memory etc.

I said "still" bcoz in my last 4 months with 9780, I've had 2 handsets being replaced. The 1st one came with a loose micro-usb connector while the 2nd one went beserk within 30 days. It wouldn't recognize either BIS or BES services, meaning it decided it won't function as a BB but jus' an ordinary phone - hehe !!

But, I still love the form factor, the feel of the phone in the hand esp. typing on it & for me, its a great phone & I'll get another identical replacement. When it worked, it was just a class act.

I feel RIM's quality control has gone down of late & possibly could be a reason why we see so many complaints on the 9780.
    Last edited by audio_engr; 07-24-11 at 07:28 PM.
    07-24-11 07:26 PM
    I guess it is down to luck, have had all my berries second hand except for the 9100 which I bought new. So far, everything has been working exceptionally well with my hybrid thrown in. Watch this space.

07-24-11 07:31 PM
    I guess it is down to luck, have had all my berries second hand except for the 9100 which I bought new. So far, everything has been working exceptionally well with my hybrid thrown in. Watch this space.

So glad to see you got a 9780 now. Does this mean more hybrids around the corner?

07-25-11 01:14 AM
    So glad to see you got a 9780 now. Does this mean more hybrids around the corner?

As long as there are new leaks that can be hybrid we'll be there lol

07-25-11 01:16 AM
    UPDATE

Spankin NEW 9780 in Hand - hehe !! Life's back on again' ...
    Came with the OS 6 ver 480 so am happily hangin' onto this for the moment
    07-25-11 11:45 AM
    Came with the OS 6 ver 480
    Really? Which carrier are you with?

I thought .480 only went official with PCCW and SmarTone-Vodafone

07-25-11 11:52 AM
    Compared to iPhone and Android-powered handsets, huge pile of crap. As a go-to handset for pounding out e-mails and texts and making phone calls, not so much.
    My wife has an Iphone4, and I have a mini xperia (for jogging!) and a BB 9780. The Iphone4 is a beautiful piece of machine, but for office and productivity no one beats the BB. Try typing a four paragraph email in a touchscreen and you'll go crazy. The Iphone (and all android powered touchscreen phones) are for fun and for typing small messages such as "mmhh, yeah, like, i mean, awesome!", but not for working. The keys of the BB 9780 are not the best around (Nokia E72 has a better keyboard if you ask me), but I'm very satisfied with my purchase. No problems so far with the keypad.
    07-26-11 07:06 AM
    Is the 9780 crap? No. I find mine to be very stable and reliable.
    07-26-11 03:10 PM
    Really? Which carrier are you with?

I thought .480 only went official with PCCW and SmarTone-Vodafone :confused
    I had originally bought my 1st ever BB - the 9780 end March 2011 from the Importer's dealer who are allowed to ONLY import UNLOCKED phones. Alternatively, I could also buy the same phn from the Carriers who sell LOCKED phns.

The 1st unlocked Phn came with ver .285 & was a Jan 2011 manufacturing. The usb connector was loose inside the phn so I returned it for a replacement phn in mid June & this 2nd 9780 was a May 2011 manufacturing that came with ver .480.

Now, BB BIS/BES services stopped working abruptly on this handset all of a sudden last week so its now my 3rd phn in hand with again May 2011 build & ver .480 OS.

With an Unlocked phn, I can go to any Carrier & sign-up for BB services w/o the hassles of getting into a contract etc. (meaning married to 'em). LoL !! The day the Carrier goofs up, you simply settle your last bill & throw the SIM on their face.

================================================

OK - PCCW is in China while Smartone-Vodafone is in HK.

It appears that the Official .480 First went public from these locations. And - as am from India (another Asia continent country) so assume BB handsets coming this way May 2011 onwards are preloaded with .480 from the BB manufacturing centre - wherever that may be. The printed label claims Hungary BUT my strong hunch is that packaging takes place somewhere else on the Asian continent as the volumes consumed here are HUGE !!
    Last edited by audio_engr; 07-27-11 at 02:56 AM. Reason: insertion of addt data
    07-26-11 04:15 PM
    Love my 9780, no problems, no keyboard stutter.
    07-26-11 04:45 PM
    I love the phone...best BB I have ever had......when its working.

I must just have bad luck, because I am on my 4th 9780 in 5 months. All hardware problems (keyboard, screen, return key, lock button)
    07-28-11 09:37 AM
    I Love the phone, deleted BBM and all the language stuff up graded to new os and use the theme NITRO 9780 love it.

I was going to wait for the 9900 but more than happy Ive upgraded.
    07-28-11 11:27 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD