Glad to see your problem is finally solved Kishore

It's amazing what can be achieved for $5 in 10 mins!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-11 04:03 AM
    Okay, I hope this fix works because my marriage may depend on it! I gave my wife a 9780 for her birthday last November. From day one she got the double letters and it has been driving her absolutely crazy (which means it is driving me crazy too).

Just put in a new keytune (a.k.a. keypad membrane sticker pcb mylar) in her phone by following the directions at the thread top (plus the alcohol clean). Definitely needed the plastic tool and had to run out to the hardware store for the torx t5 bit. After the surgery, all keys are working and my wife claims there is a difference already.

Will report back later to let you know one way or another. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks 6-sic-6!!
    Bad news. The new membrane did not work. The double letters on my wife's phone are still happening. Now what????
    05-07-11 11:03 AM
    You guys are doing nothing BUT PROVING MY POINT !!

05-07-11 02:47 PM
    You guys are doing nothing BUT PROVING MY POINT !!
    Hey, this one I could understand!

Look, we don't meant to troll (really, we don't), but you gotta give us that the last posts were way on the hard to read side...
    05-07-11 04:15 PM
    Glad to see your problem is finally solved Kishore

It's amazing what can be achieved for $5 in 10 mins!
    Thanks Phill, you are really lucky to have never experienced this problem (knock wood). At times it was not just 'double' input but 'triple' too..!! Just typing 2 simple sentences would give me atleast 5 to 6 multiple input errors. It was so frustrating when I had to reply urgently to my client's texts. At times I really wanted to throw the phone out of the window. I am really disappointed with RIM, ..the least I expected from them is to acknowledge this issue. Obviously to increase profits they have sourced inferior quality membranes and other parts, and who pays: their loyal customers who lined up to buy the first lot of 9780s. I respect Apple all the more since they had the courage to officially accept that they had an issue with the antennae. Dunno at what age Lazardis is going to face issues rather than walk away from them (BBC would surely second me on this ).

Last edited by Kishore Thaakur; 05-07-11 at 04:59 PM.
    05-07-11 04:53 PM
    so this question has been asked a couple times and yet no one has answered yet... does the 9700 membrane and keyboard work on the 9780? i would think so as its essentially the same device, but has anyone actually tried to make 100% sure?

thanks
    05-08-11 11:40 AM
    Did it and it worked thank u!!!! I didnt even buy keytone I wiped off my old one n reapplied good to go so far (knock on wood)...
    05-21-11 09:34 PM
    so this question has been asked a couple times and yet no one has answered yet... does the 9700 membrane and keyboard work on the 9780? i would think so as its essentially the same device, but has anyone actually tried to make 100% sure?

thanks
    yes, it should work. check my sig for a how to link.
    05-21-11 09:49 PM
    What will happen if i send my phone to warranty because of this issue?

They will "repair" it, change the phone, give me my money back, or they will say that this is not their problem?
    05-21-11 11:00 PM
    What will happen if i send my phone to warranty because of this issue?

They will "repair" it, change the phone, give me my money back, or they will say that this is not their problem?
    it depends, US carriers will normally replace the phone with a refurb unit. some other carriers repair.
    05-21-11 11:11 PM
    just followed OP'z method to the T, and i have a brand new 9780 without the double typing ****!!!!!!!! Awesome work OP
    05-22-11 05:54 AM
    Didn't work for me. Mine is doing it worse than before.
    05-28-11 06:30 PM
    If U can't find or unable to buy a keytunes, just use the eraser to clean each side of the "copper dot" n then swipe it with anti corrosive cleaning fluid n then clean it up with cotton bud will worked either, but U might have to repeat it every 2-3 months

05-28-11 11:16 PM
    zen, which copper dots are you referring to? under the membrane? will it be possible to peel and re-apply the same membrane?
    05-29-11 10:46 AM
    Are Deoxit D and Deoxit Gold good for the copper dots?

DeoxIT® D-Series

Edit: Hope so, I just got some. $6.80 shipped from 4sevens.com with coupon MEM2011

DeoxIT D100L AND DeoxIT GOLD G100L 4Sevens.Com
    Last edited by stardomains; 05-29-11 at 12:59 PM.
    05-29-11 12:46 PM
    I sent mine back through the Bell World store after talking with Bell and BlackBerry on the phone, and it's come back apparently fixed. I hope it stays that way!
    05-30-11 12:00 AM
    Mine has gone really bad. It wouldn't charge and whenever I lifted it off the charger the spinner would constantly spin and not let me do anything. I had to open it up and take the membrane off. It hasn't done it since. Not much of a phone sitting w/o a keypad though. I'd think hard before doing this if I had to do it again. Hoping a new membrane comes in the mail tomorrow. Ordered 6 more on eBay yesterday too.

Update: I put the old one back in and it seems to be acting relatively ok.
    Last edited by stardomains; 05-31-11 at 01:59 AM.
    05-31-11 01:21 AM
    Good News!:

This wonderful membrane combined with the Deoxit cleaner and Deoxit Gold that I mention in my previous post makes my 9780 run like a champ; Just like my old 9700. I have a theory that the sticky residue from the underside of the original membrane causes some kind of problems. The Deoxit cleaner removed a lot of crud from the green board. Then I tweezed down the new one. Fantastic.

Update: Over 36hrs without any double-input. It is working great.
    Last edited by stardomains; 06-05-11 at 03:39 PM.
    06-04-11 01:29 AM
    My problem has been solved here in Philippines. We have a mall here called "Greenhills". The most famous "cell phone buy and sell" mall. I just told the repairman that my keyboard is stuttering. He gave me a price of 6USD = 280PHP. He did it in front of me. As far as I remember. He lifted the keytune(white sticker) and wiped the "brown thing" under the keytune with "LACQUER FLO"(small amount). He did it with cotton buds. I don't know if this solution will last for long but my keyboard ain't stuttering since a while ago. My opinion and theory is the "Lacquer Flo" wiped the sticky residue which is the cause of "stuttering". I tested typing a paragraph in memo pad = 0 stutter. Sorry for imperfect english. Just tryin to give you ideas as well as solution. My advice is don't take the risk of doing it by yourself. Go to someone with experience of repairing.
    06-07-11 07:32 AM
    same here in the philippines, sent my unit back from where I purchased it. the guy told me that if they can fix it via reformatting the OS, it will take about a week for me to get my unit but if all else fails, they are going to ship my unit to singapore for repair. the stuttering is driving me insane, i tried everything like setting the keyboard speed from normal to slow, then turning of the auto correct for spell check then changing the font, the stuetters goes away for about a day then it will come back like a freakin disease!!! this is my first bb phone and now im really pissed off...
    06-17-11 06:38 AM
    same here in the philippines, sent my unit back from where I purchased it. the guy told me that if they can fix it via reformatting the OS, it will take about a week for me to get my unit but if all else fails, they are going to ship my unit to singapore for repair. the stuttering is driving me insane, i tried everything like setting the keyboard speed from normal to slow, then turning of the auto correct for spell check then changing the font, the stuetters goes away for about a day then it will come back like a freakin disease!!! this is my first bb phone and now im really pissed off...

Hey dude, you're from philippines. Why don't you bring it to greenhills. Look for JR in the shop in theater mall. When you enter the theater mall from the "cellphone tiangge" entrance. Their shop is on the left corner. You can see their shop full of "otterbox cases" look for JR and tell him that you are referred by your friend. my 9780 is now 100% stutter free.
    06-17-11 10:42 PM
    Once I retrieve the unit, and the stutter is still there, I'll be taking it to GH. Im so pissed with this phone and planning on selling it then buying a Samsung Galaxy S II. Thanks for the info bud!
    06-21-11 03:53 PM
    I fixed mine by just replacing the keyboard. I didn't touch the membrane or anything underneath it. I did notice that there was a hair or some stubble or something underneath the keyboard when I pulled it off for the first time. I'm not sure if that's what was causing part of my issue, although it might have been because it was right under the A key and that was one of the keys that would repeat the most. I took the keyboard off, blew the membrane off with air duster and then put the new keyboard on. So far, so good.

I had called Rogers about this issue and they sent me a "new" device. It turned out to be a refurb with a really squishy keyboard. Not fair! I don't understand how they get away with sending out refurbs to replace NEW phones that are defective in some way. It just blew my mind but anyway, I tried it out and it did the same thing! Keyboard stutter. I said screw this and switched everything back to my old (new) one and sent the replacement refurb piece of crap back to them. I called them a few days later and explained what happened. The rep on the phone said "don't buy a lottery ticket today because you're having some really bad luck to have received another device that had the same problem". I'm like whatever, man. I have read on crackberryforums that some people have had up to 5 replacement devices that all had the same issue.

This issue is a HARDWARE problem. I have not changed anything like the font or key repeating speed in an attempt to fix my issue. I replaced the keyboard and it was fixed. Yes I voided my warranty but who cares. I have been a techy geek since I was a kid - always taking things apart and putting them back together. I'd rather do it myself then send it in to get it repaired.
    06-29-11 07:02 AM
    I cleaned mine simply with the rubbing alcohol and it worked!
    07-05-11 10:05 PM
    I understand that the issue is hardware related but could RIM not put an exception/rule in their code/programming for this phone so that when you type a letter to allow a reasonable amount of time before allowing that same letter to be typed again? Obviously milliseconds but I mean who wants to type 2 or 3 of the same letter nearly instantly!
    07-08-11 08:07 AM
112 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD